PSN and Xbox Live Kick Off Digital Holiday Sales Tomorrow

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PSN and Xbox Live Kick Off Digital Holiday Sales Tomorrow

The year's big holiday sales begin tomorrow, with both Microsoft and Sony kicking things off with a week of digital deals.

Can you believe it's already the holiday season of 2010? Once I finished lamenting how fast time flies when we're you're not paying attention, I also remembered that this means some amazing holiday sales have arrived as well. Starting tomorrow, Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network are starting digital sales initiatives that will hold some sweet deals on a variety of games.

Both sales will run from November 23-29. Sony is offering 15 PlayStation Network titles out of the PlayStation 3, PSP, and PSP Minis libraries that are each good for every day of the sale until it's over. Notable inclusions are Dissidia: Final Fantasy [http://www.amazon.com/Danger-Online-Game-Code-Playstation-3/dp/B004BSF3FE/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290473656&sr=1-2], a giant RPG brawl. The full list of games going on sale, and their prices, is below:

PS3
PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap - $3.49 sale price; $6.99 regular price
Top Gun - $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price
Gundemonium Collection - $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price
DeathSpank - $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price
Joe Danger - $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price

PSP
Groovin' Blocks - $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price
Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake - $9.99 sale price; $19.99 regular price
Dissidia Final Fantasy - $9.99 sale price; $19.99 regular price
Dante's Inferno - $19.99 sale price; $39.99 regular price
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - $19.99 sale price; $39.99 regular price

Minis
Young Thor - $2.49 sale price; $4.99 regular price
Fieldrunners - $3.49 sale price; $6.99 regular price
Hero of Sparta - $2.49 sale price; $4.99 regular price
Alien Zombie Death - $1.99 sale price; $3.99 regular price
Monopoly - $2.49 sale price; $4.99 regular price

Xbox Live's sale will apparently work a little differently, with Microsoft saying it's going to be offering daily deals within the same time frame. These deals will also be for a variety of Xbox Live content including original Xbox downloads, Xbox Live Arcade games, and Zune movies. Microsoft has released a partial sampling of the titles that will go on sale through November 29, and also says that gamers will want to specifically check in on Black Friday (November 26) for a special day of deals. Here's the list:

Xbox 360 Games
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Rockstar Games) - 400 Microsoft Points
Halo: Combat Evolved (Microsoft Game Studios) - 400 Microsoft Points

Xbox LIVE Arcade
Trials HD (Microsoft Game Studios) - 400 Microsoft Points
'Splosion Man (Microsoft Game Studios) - 160 Microsoft Points
Monkey Island: Special Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) - 400 Microsoft Points
Madden NFL Arcade (Electronic Arts) - 400 Microsoft Points
Portal: Still Alive (Microsoft Game Studios) - 400 Microsoft Points

Zune Movies
Clash of the Titans - 720 Microsoft Points
Sex and the City 2 - 720 Microsoft Points
Cats and Dogs 2: The Revenge of Kitty Galore - 720 Microsoft Points
300 - 380 Microsoft Points

Are you ready to start spending some money on cheap games this year? I know I am.

Apr 28, 2008
None of those really interest me that much. The few that do I already have.

Just as well though, I ignore all holiday-related things until November is over. Unless those holiday-related things are about Thanksgiving.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm still waiting for STEAM to have a sale so I can get $60 worth of games that my dad's girlfriend promised to get me for the holidays. It's either that, or Gran Turismo 5 or the Sly Collection, and I'm being very patient right now...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Only one I'd really be interested from that list is Combat Evolved, but I'd rather find a disc copy so I can have every Halo FPS on my shelves for completion's sake. I lost my old copies of 2 and CE, but recently picked up 2 for a fiver.

Now if they were releasing Jet Set Radio Future, that might be different...

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
I'm still waiting for STEAM to have a sale
Took the words right out of my mouth. I refuse to buy anything from Steam until after Christmas because I don't want to pay $50 for Civ5 or Mafia II when chances are they're going to go on sale for like $10 the day after I buy them.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Jumplion said:
I'm still waiting for STEAM to have a sale
Took the words right out of my mouth. I refuse to buy anything from Steam until after Christmas because I don't want to pay $50 for Civ5 or Mafia II when chances are they're going to go on sale for like $10 the day after I buy them.
I'll probably get GT5 for the holiday gift and spend my own money when the STEAM sale comes along since I could spend more than $60, but I'm stingy with my money regardless.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, not impressed. Perhaps I am still in the afterglow of yesterdays 10c AoE sale that it blinds me to values, but really not impressed.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
160 MS points for Splosion man is the biggest bargain ever. If you haven't played it then you are cheating yourself.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
'Splosion Man is the only item on this list I'm even remotely interested in.

Do they really expect gamers to get excited about Sex and the City 2 being on sale? What a joke. Steam is going to annihilate these guys for real.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Is this only in America, or everywhere?

I assume it's only in America, since SCEE wouldn't dare have an extra sale if there's still plenty of money to be surgically extracted from Australia and the rest of Europe.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Wow.. they're really rollin out the savings this year, aren't they? /sarcasm

I'll wait for Steam's sale, thanks.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Shycte said:
The PC elitism is strong here I sense....
Largely justified in my view. Steam's post-Christmas sales are legendary. We're talking more deals than the combined total of these two sales at least five times over. And other digital distributors are following suit with similar sales, bringing the total up to about ten times over (assuming GOG repeats their "Everything 50% off" heroics from last year).