Survey Finds It's Time for a Console Price-Cut

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Survey Finds It's Time for a Console Price-Cut

According to survey conducted by an independent research group, hardware manufacturers should cut the prices of consoles to bring in new users.

Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101965-Sony-Microsoft-or-Nintendo-Will-Go-Next-Gen-Before-Us] have all said that the next generation of consoles is a long time away. Instead, the manufacturers are betting on motion control systems like Kinect and PlayStation Move to fuel more sales to the non-core audience. Unfortunately, a survey conducted by market research group Cowen and Company seems to indicate that strategy is not creating a new audience for videogames. Cowen surveyed 2301 adults and asked a series of questions on their videogame buying habits and intentions for what they may buy in the future. The survey found that so-called core software titles are still the best investment for game companies and analysts suggest that lowering the prices of the consoles would do much more to attract new customers than fancy control schemes.

"None of the hardware manufacturers have reduced their hardware prices since the last holiday," the survey reported. "We believe that the hardware manufacturers have left unit sales on the table by not reducing price points from $199 to $179 and $299 to $249 for the applicable consoles, and that doing so would have driven a more significant boost to hardware sales than the release (for Microsoft and Sony) of new motion-sensing peripherals."

Cowen and Company believes that the high prices affects software sales. "We view continued stubbornly high hardware price points as one of the key factors dragging down software sales," the report read.

The new motion control is not doing much to attract new gamers. "Although our survey results show strong demand for the two new motion sensing peripherals among current Xbox 360 and PS3 owners, demand among non-owners and prospective buyers appears tepid," said Cowen's report.

If a videogame company wants to make money in today's market, the best bet is to produce high-quality, high-profile games like CodBlops, oddly enough. "The results of our Fall 2010 Videogame Survey do not change our view that high-quality games for the core gamer remain the best investment for videogame publishers despite changes to the structure of the videogame industry."

It's hard to say how accurate market research like this is or what it means for the industry moving forward, but it's certain that the sales of titles and hardware this holiday season will impact the future of games greatly. If Microsoft and Sony can't break into the casual market with Kinect and Move, perhaps we will see more growth for core games and even news of a new console generation.

Source: CVG [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-23-core-games-remain-best-investment-for-publishers]

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
What I have taken from this is that console prices should be lowered in time for christmas, and that developers should give up on trying to bring in the casual market :D

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"We believe that the hardware manufacturers have left unit sales on the table by not reducing price points from $199 to $179 and $299 to $249 for the applicable consoles, and that doing so would have driven a more significant boost to hardware sales than the release (for Microsoft and Sony) of new motion-sensing peripherals.":p
umm... since the 360 is already being sold for less than the sum of its parts (its what my videogame design professor told me), i would assume selling it even cheaper is a bad move

but i dont know about he PS3, maybe it should be cheaper :p

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Greg Tito said:
"We believe that the hardware manufacturers have left unit sales on the table by not reducing price points from $199 to $179 and $299 to $249 for the applicable consoles, and that doing so would have driven a more significant boost to hardware sales than the release (for Microsoft and Sony) of new motion-sensing peripherals.":p
umm... since the 360 is already being sold for less than the sum of its parts (its what my videogame design professor told me), i would assume selling it even cheaper is a bad move

but i dont know about he PS3, maybe it should be cheaper :p

lol No. The PS3 was costing Sony money when it was 600$.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Making great games gets me to buy a console and so far this generation hasn't impressed me enough to make me feel like i'm missing out.
A few more ORIGINAL titles would be tasty due to the fact that I play a game that I like and it gets syndicated into infinite boring sequels instead of realising what people liked was that it was an original idea

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
hmm, I'm actually quite surprised that they aren't doing as well as I thought with the whole attracting casual gamers with shiny new gimmick strategy (I'm not that against the concept of motion control's, these just seem like cheap cash-ins). Time to give up casual gamers as Nintendo's property and expand the core gaming market? I think so

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Maybe they shouldn't make crappy consoles.
At least make them worth the high price.
Currently the three consoles fall into three categories:
A well built machine that could be capable of a lot if it got even half decent support.
A machine that gets very good support but is likely to break.
And a children's toy that's fun but doesn't get the AAA games released.

What's stupid is that while it sometimes costs more to make the machine than what it costs, they are all overprices for what they have to offer consumers.

Most of my friends who owned a console last generation still haven't moved on and I really can't blame them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Seems like wishful thinking for consumers who always want lower prices to be honest. I can't see Sony or Microsoft doing this, or even paying attention to it. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong however.

Truthfully the only way they would sell me a new console is if Sony was to bread down and re-release PS-3s with backwards PS-2 compadibility. Mine is getting old, and I'd like a bigger hard drive. I might try and put away enough money for one of those, and I think there would be a market for them besides me.

I already think they've tapped the casual gaming market as far as it's going to go. I'm not sure if the "Wii-like" motion control set ups they are pimping right now are going to catch on. I think the mania for those things is past (I could be wrong), and they definatly don't seem to be aiming them at the core/hardcore gaming crowd. When the mods techno-geeks are making are more interesting than the hardware itself, or the applications being released for it, that's a problem.

What's more, as "ENN" sort of pointed out, the space requirements for this kind of thing seem to be substantial.

On top of it, there have been many fads that have had people looking like fools and having fun doing so for a while. Truthfully I think people spazzing out with motion controls is kind of over with, and it's on the verge of going the way of things like the Hula Hoop. :)

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Survey says: people are fucking poor because our global economy has been exposed (which is different, and far worse, than a simple recession), so the distributors of entertainment products should wise up and realize they don't deserve untold millions for nonessential contributions to society.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Wh00t, I might get a new console! :p

Therumancer said:
Seems like wishful thinking for consumers who always want lower prices to be honest. I can't see Sony or Microsoft doing this, or even paying attention to it. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong however.

Truthfully the only way they would sell me a new console is if Sony was to bread down and re-release PS-3s with backwards PS-2 compadibility. Mine is getting old, and I'd like a bigger hard drive. I might try and put away enough money for one of those, and I think there would be a market for them besides me.

I already think they've tapped the casual gaming market as far as it's going to go. I'm not sure if the "Wii-like" motion control set ups they are pimping right now are going to catch on. I think the mania for those things is past (I could be wrong), and they definatly don't seem to be aiming them at the core/hardcore gaming crowd. When the mods techno-geeks are making are more interesting than the hardware itself, or the applications being released for it, that's a problem.

What's more, as "ENN" sort of pointed out, the space requirements for this kind of thing seem to be substantial.

On top of it, there have been many fads that have had people looking like fools and having fun doing so for a while. Truthfully I think people spazzing out with motion controls is kind of over with, and it's on the verge of going the way of things like the Hula Hoop. :)
Have you been searching around online for them?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Where did they find the time machine to consult the adults from the 24th century?

And seeing as it's a little ways in the future, and the consoles are still being sold at their current prices, yeah, I could see them wanting the prices lowered.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
"Cowen surveyed 2,301 adults". That one seems silly to me.

OT: It probably doesn't matter that much, almost anybody who wanted the console already has it. It's been what, 3 or 4 years?

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
SaturdayS said:
My survey says that they should give me systems and games for free.
LOL Yeah sounds good!

OT: By now, the people who don't have a console are probably the ones who couldn't afford it to begin with, so obviously they are going to want lower prices!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hmmm. Now let me think. Hands up all this who wants things fek cheap? Well bugga me with a cucumber. Is that everyone? Whood had thunk it?