Developers Building Dozens of 3D PS3 Games, Says Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Developers Building Dozens of 3D PS3 Games, Says Sony

Sony says that things are coming along nicely it its quest to get 3D TVs into people's homes.

3D Gaming has arrived, and Sony is going to great pains to ensure that it's here to stay. SCEE studio director Mick Hocking says that Sony is working with developers and publishers on adding 3D to more than 50 PS3 games, including some "massive names."

Third-party games make up just over half the total, and Hocking said that it was encouraging to see so many studios adding 3D to their games. He added that the interest in 3D backed up Sony's claim that the technology would be an important part of the future of gaming. He said that Sony had been proactive with 3D, and was offering training to developers on how to get the best results, both technically and creatively. Using 3D wasn't just about adding depth to a picture, he said, it was about figuring out where it could be used to add something unique to a game.

"One great example is in Killzone 3," he said. "When you're playing in 3D, where the player has to plant an explosive charge on the wall. When they do, the charge comes out of the screen and looks like it's in the room with you, and honestly, it feels like an explosive charge has been placed on your TV. It's amazing!"

Besides making consoles, Sony manufactures 3D TVs and makes 3D movies, so its interest in 3D extends well beyond videogames. Sony is in a great position to capitalize if 3D continues to be popular, but stands to lose out if it's just a fad, and with that in mind, it's not hard to see why Sony is pushing 3D so hard. Hocking is confident that a strong 3D library on the PS3 - along with other content - will convince people to invest in 3D TVs for their homes. It's a little hard to believe that people will replace perfectly good TVs just for 3D however, so Sony may have to play a long game with this one.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/36438/Sony-Over-50-PS3-games-being-built-in-3D]

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Ive seen sony's 3d TV.
Its impressive, but not as easy on the eyes and simple 2D, and that matters for serious FPS gaming.

Imma holding out on 3D until I see if glasses-free picks up and working on my apparently different eyes
(left eye dominant..when vast majority are apparently right-dominant, and I'm even right-handed)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
As long as they maintain typical resolution options. I'm not going to waste the money on a new 3DTV to play a game.

But hey, if it applies only to their exclusive titles then I have nothing to worry about.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im pretty sure he means devs are making dozens of 3ds games

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think the issue is the economy as well. I think the big barrier is that any kind of big tech upgrade is improbable right now. The appeal of selling 3D TVs and related gizmos is of course that they are very expensive products, with a high profit margin for the makers. I could see it catching on, but only if they wait for the economy to massively improve OR if they lower the prices (and profit margins) substantially.

What's more I'll also say that I'm one of those people who gets headaches from 3D, I think like 20% of the population are supposed to be like me (or some number like that). I have to pre-load with painkillers to watch 3D movies in the theater. Kind of odd because I never used to have this problem.

At any rate, until they find a way to produce hardware that doesn't cause headaches for people that have these kinds of conditions, I can't see it becoming any kind of a standard because your dealing with a problem afflicting a massive number of people.

What's more, I'll also go so far as to say that I do not understand why people need special 3D TVs, and expensive battery powered glasses to watch 3D movies in their homes. What's more when I (and other people) have asked questions like this, I can't remember ever receiving an answer, never mind one that made sense.

To put things into context, when I was younger I watched this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mask_(1961_film)

A version of it which was on VHS and hosted by Elvira. The paper 3d glasses that came with the video worked just fine for the 3d sequences. This was with an old TV (far inferior to what I have now), non-battery powered paper glasses, and a VHS machine playing a tape!

To me this entire thing sounds like a giant scam being run by Sony and other hardware manufacturers on people who have never watched a 3d movie at home before (which is probably most people). I'm surprised there aren't a lot more people asking questions about this.

Even if there are quality differances above and beyond the changes in general technology, the 3D FX weren't all *that* much worse than what I'm seeing now. At least not the 3d components of them (the effects from movies made decades ago are obviously lacking today). I mean even looking at other movies like "Metal Storm: The Destruction Of Jared Sims" (old, but more recent... and a real stinker) the effect of a stick from a plant pointing out towards your eyeball wasn't any less three dimensional than what we're seeing now.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
My issue with the 3D tvs is that you need glasses to see the 3D. Without the glasses it looks like shit. So it would be difficult for everyone to come over to your place to watch a movie. Or to have a viewing party for something.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah with all the chips stacked against 3D, I am not caring how many games support it Sony. The TVs are too expensive, especially in this economy. You have to wear uncomfortable glasses. The effect gives you a headache if you use 3D for too long. And playing in 2D is just fine.

Sony sees their 3D support as a step above the Wii and 360. I just see another gimmick that doesn't really put them ahead, and it just makes me think "How can they keep saying PS3 only does everything when they don't have basic features like cross game chat yet?"

I do like my PS3, but I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't gotten smart and made some parody style ads for the 360 yet. "360: It only does cross game chat. It only does better online controls for who you play with. It only does all the everything PS3 doesn't do."

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
How appropriate, developing dozens of 3D games for the dozen people who can actually play them in 3D.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
F**k you Sony and your 3D.

Instead of letting developers make their games the way they want to make it, Sony has to force all this 3D crap on 'm. Whenever I think Sony finally has it's head straight, it has to announce some radical new direction which makes them look like headless chicken.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
So we're concerning ourselves with spectacle as opposed to gameplay? I anticipate many lay-offs and many cuts as soon as they realize how futile this 3D shit is.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i hope this kills sony... seriously i want them to collapse and burn for this... and then i want all the people who lost their jobs to trying to force this on us to be forced to work for Nintendo, since they love gimmicks so much XD

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Worgen said:
Im pretty sure he means devs are making dozens of 3ds games
XD Thanks for the humour. It's been a long day, so I appretiate it.

Anyway, this bit of news reminds me of when Sony was expecting that the PS3 would convince people to rush out and get an HDTV...or when Kutaragi claimed that "people would get a second job just to get a PS3". Remember how well that went, Sony? :p

While Sony is too heavily invested into this venture to back off at this point, I still think they should have cut their losses when they had the chance. With the 3DS, Nintendo has effectively turned Sony into a laughing stock of the industry for pushing an obsolete method of displaying stereoscopic 3D.

I am certain Sony is banking on the fact that autostereoscopic 3D technology is still in it's infancy at this point and has many limitations compared to regular stereoscopic displays. However, the mass market is not going to see it that way. Beacuse for all the restrictions the handheld has, the 3DS displays stereoscopic 3D the way most people want it...without glasses. From there, the technology will improve, making it viable for larger screens and rendering 3D with glasses worthless.

Sony is eagerly throwing itself out to get slaughtered. This should be...interesting.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
3D doesn't do anything for a game. It doesn't improve the basic quality of the graphics, it doesn't add any depth to gameplay, and it does nothing for the overall narrative.

If it costs more to do 3D they're wasting their money. You don't need 3D to make a good game. You dont' need 3D at all. Same goes for movies.

I'm afraid this is just a gimmick, and a potentially expensive one. Just like it was almost 60 years ago.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
F**k you Sony and your 3D.

Instead of letting developers make their games the way they want to make it, Sony has to force all this 3D crap on 'm. Whenever I think Sony finally has it's head straight, it has to announce some radical new direction which makes them look like headless chicken.
No developer is forced to use 3D. Isn't it possible that some game developers see the *gasp* potential in utilizing an extra dimension?

buy teh haloz said:
So we're concerning ourselves with spectacle as opposed to gameplay? I anticipate many lay-offs and many cuts as soon as they realize how futile this 3D shit is.
Have you actually, you know, played a 3D game? It practically makes it a whole new game altogether.

Azaraxzealot said:
i hope this kills sony... seriously i want them to collapse and burn for this... and then i want all the people who lost their jobs to trying to force this on us to be forced to work for Nintendo, since they love gimmicks so much XD
Yes, let's make sure that thousands of people lose their jobs and become completely and utterly destroyed because you don't personally seem to see a point in a "gimmick". 'Cause, you know, it's not like it's their job to promote whatever they need to promote and possibly are pushing newer technological innovations of any kind.

Okay, obviously I'm coming from a different angle here. Personally, I don't mind 3D, it's an interesting piece of technology that definitely has potential, especially in video games. I've played a few games in 3D, and let me tell you it's pretty fantastical and nutty. It increases immersion 10-fold, and it can be used in very interesting ways I'm sure. 3D in a survival horror game? Yes please.

3D has an incredible amount of potential. Am I saying that every game should have 3D? Of course not! So long as it's an option for people who have the technology, I see absolutely no reason why game developers shouldn't go for it. Are we seriously complaining about an addon? An option for people who can use it? No one is ever forced to use 3D in games and nobody is making you go out to buy a 3D capable TV.

If 3D succeeds, it succeeds, and it paves the way for new innovations. Technology gets cheaper as time goes on, eventually 3D TVs will be the same price as a regular HD TV (they're like, what, a $1000 now?). If it fails, it fails, and it'd be a shame to waste such potential in this format.

I'm one of those people that tries to find a use for most things. While I personally think that most motion controls are hashed in to make a quick buck and used in a "gimmicky" way, there is still a huge amount of untapped potential within motion controls. Same goes for 3D.

But overall, we're just going to have to see how it turns out. Personally, while I'm not likely to get a 3DTV any time soon, I can certainly appreciate the potential it has.

EDIT: And this all goes for the 3DS as well, even though I personally am still a bit skeptical over it, but that's just because I'm not really much of a Nintendo gamer (or handheld one for that matter).

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Jumplion said:
Are we seriously complaining about an addon? An option for people who can use it? No one is ever forced to use 3D in games and nobody is making you go out to buy a 3D capable TV.

If 3D succeeds, it succeeds, and it paves the way for new innovations. Technology gets cheaper as time goes on, eventually 3D TVs will be the same price as a regular HD TV (they're like, what, a $1000 now?). If it fails, it fails, and it'd be a shame to waste such potential in this format.
i dont know about anyone else, but i am not complaining about an "option". i am complaining about something that may become a new "Standard" and force me to plop down thousands of more dollars on some new gimmick the mainstream bought into. because if this "addon" succeeds, then it will no longer be an "addon", it will be what we are FORCED to used if it DOES end up succeeding.

and 1000 dollars is NOT cheap for an HD TV, most people in this economy dont have that kind of extra dough lying around.

i want something more akin to virtual reality that will literally put us IN a game, and not have to wear any uncomfortable eyepieces :p seriously, i already wear glasses (most gamers do) and contacts would be too much for me to wear.

i want to be immersed in my gaming world without having to worry about spending too much money or wearing unnecessary peripherals. and im sure most of the gaming community feels the same, we want our entertainment to come to US, not US have to come to the entertainment (if you can understand that, because the wording is a little vague)

and besides, i want the people who would lose their jobs to have another job, just at a different company

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
i dont know about anyone else, but i am not complaining about an "option". i am complaining about something that may become a new "Standard" and force me to plop down thousands of more dollars on some new gimmick the mainstream bought into. because if this "addon" succeeds, then it will no longer be an "addon", it will be what we are FORCED to used if it DOES end up succeeding.
It's not going to be the "standard" for quite some time. Hell, HDTV isn't even "standard" for most households, you can still play games, movies, etc... on a non-HDTV.

Every time something new comes along people always cry out "gimmick!" without thinking of the possibilities it holds. I'm one of those people that would probably defend a holographic dildo because, hey, it is some sort of an innovation.

If you don't want to play your games or watch movies in 3D, that is perfectly fine. But wishing complete destruction on a company, with thousands of people losing their jobs in this economy (as you've pointed out in the next quote), that's just pointless hostility. 3D has potential, much more in video games than in movies, but it's silly to think that somehow it's going to be the "standard" for games/movies in the next year. Have motion controls become the "standard"? No, but it's given us some interesting gameplay mechanics that will further the development of the medium.

and 1000 dollars is NOT cheap for an HD TV, most people in this economy dont have that kind of extra dough lying around.
Compared to when HDTVs were starting out, with people saying the exact same thing ("My SDTV is just fine!" "Why would I need to see prettier colors?" "HDTVs are a billion dollars!"). Of course not everyone is going to be able to afford it, even my HDTV was a few years old and cost us $300 due to a slip up (thank god for human error!), but prices go down, technology improves, and if 3D is somehow going to be the "standard" in the next, I dunno, 20 years, then I say go for it.

i want something more akin to virtual reality that will literally put us IN a game, and not have to wear any uncomfortable eyepieces :p seriously, i already wear glasses (most gamers do) and contacts would be too much for me to wear.
I also wear glasses, and personally I have had no problem wearing the 3D ones. I dislike contacts as well, and I can understand why some people have discomfort with 3D glasses. But we're not going to get virtual reality unless we push the tech innovations that come with it.

And I bet you anything, if/when virtual reality comes to fruition, people will say the exact same thing they are saying today :p

i want to be immersed in my gaming world without having to worry about spending too much money or wearing unnecessary peripherals. and im sure most of the gaming community feels the same, we want our entertainment to come to US, not US have to come to the entertainment (if you can understand that, because the wording is a little vague)
And you can still do that without 3D, or HD for that matter. I'm not saying 3D should reign supreme or anything, of course we should focus on what we have so far, but 3D has an enormous amount of potential to build up and improve the mechanics in video games.

A 3D survival horror game? Just think of the atmosphere building possibilities, the mindfuck moments that could offer!

and besides, i want the people who would lose their jobs to have another job, just at a different company
Your original post still came off as needlessly hostile, coupled with you saying that they should work on more "gimmicks", thereby still in the same position to you.

All technological innovations were "gimmicks" at first. I bet if we go back a couple thousand years, the first neanderthals had their simple wooden spears. When one of them came up with the flint-tipped spear, most of them probably went, "Why would you need a flint-tipped spear? The wooden one works fine! It doesn't take a long time to make! It's simple and reliable and you can find wood everywhere, unlike flint!" or something like that.

As I said, I'm one of those people who just likes to see technology improve no matter where it goes. I'd support electronic goat-shit, I would. Just think of the possibilities of further iterations of electronic-shit!

....okay, you know what I mean.

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
Are we seriously complaining about an addon? An option for people who can use it?
That hasn't stopped people from complaining about the Kinect, Move, or DLC, and it certainly won't for 3D (especially consider health reasons and the financial upgrade necessary). Also I no doubt expect developers to claim making 3D games adds "additional development costs" and the price of these games will rise.

It's not going to be the "standard" for quite some time. Hell, HDTV isn't even "standard" for most households, you can still play games, movies, etc... on a non-HDTV.
Playing an HD game might work on a non-HD screen for something like a shooter, but some of the RPGs I own are nearly unplayable without HD.