Axl Rose Sues Activision Over Slash's Inclusion in Guitar Hero III

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Axl Rose Sues Activision Over Slash's Inclusion in Guitar Hero III

Axl Rose believes he is owed $20 million because Activision featured Slash in Guitar Hero III.

Axl Rose was angry about Slash's inclusion in two years ago [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-III-Legends-Rock-Xbox/dp/B000TGDHW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290570605&sr=1-2], and that anger has apparently boiled over into a lawsuit. The lead singer of Guns N' Roses is suing Activision for $20 million over what he says is the improper use of "Welcome to the Jungle" in the game.

After Guitar Hero III was released, Rose did not welcome it and he thought it was full of anything but fun and games. When Activision approached Rose to receive permission to use "Welcome to the Jungle" in Guitar Hero III, he says he was ensured that Slash and his former bandmates' new group Velvet Revolver would have no involvement with the game at all. Activision ended up putting Slash not just in the game, but on its cover, and Velvet Revolver songs came to Guitar Hero III as DLC.

Rose's anger over the situation stems from his perception that Slash's inclusion in Guitar Hero III confuses the public into associating him with Guns N' Roses, even though he is no longer in the band. Court documents state that Rose is "careful not to license any use of the band's name and intellectual property that would further perpetuate the confusion in the public mind between Slash and Guns N' Roses." Rose only allowed Activision to use "Welcome to the Jungle" under the assumption that Slash would not be featured as an in-game avatar, and he claims to have written proof.

I hate to say it, but Rose may have a case here. Whether his desire to keep Slash out of Guitar Hero III is logical or not, if Activision broke its agreement with Rose it could end up owing him some money. Court documents even say that Rose was approached by an Activision employee that apologized for the situation "in tears." We'll have to wait and see if Activision has a response to Rose's lawsuit.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/axl-rose-takes-activision-court]

newuseforvintage

In Andre the Giant's posse
Sep 6, 2009
It might seem like an aggresive cash-grab on Axl's part but, in reality, it makes solid business sense. What he wants to avoid is any confusion between 'his' band and the new band Slash features in and that is totally fair.
The thing I'm most confused about is why Activision would make such an elementary mistake, you'd think that something that was so obviously contracting voiding would stick out like a sore thumb to their legal department.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
The game is called Guitar Hero, seems only appropriate they put the guitarist on the song in the game.

Axl Rose sole reason i dislike the band and my friends often don't understand this, i shall be linking them this article so i can laugh at them. I love being vindicated.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Ummm... couldn't he have pursued it earlier?

Like, waaay earlier?
He probably did. These things take a long time to percolate out.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
He's kind of late on this isn't he? I mean it was advertised on the game and in commercials so I think he's just pushing for money.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
This is like if two pieces of poop collided and made a delicious ham. Axel Rose is a crazy, deranged narcissist and Activision is, well, Axel Rose. Axel Rose comes out looking like an asshole and Activision is legally taken down a little due to their dumb and untrustworthy ways.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wuvlycuddles said:
The game is called Guitar Hero, seems only appropriate they put the guitarist on the song in the game.
It also only makes sense they honour their agreements.

Besides, with only two licensed guitarists in the game (Unless you count Bobby Kottick as his alter ego SATAN), that's hardly a stellar argument.

I'm not an Axl Rose fan, but let's try and be realistic here.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
$20mil is practically pocket change for Activision. They should just avoid the legal fees and pay to shut him up. Plus last time I checked Slash was in the band when they wrote Welcome to the Jungle... ADOY!