Spike TV Video Game Awards Tease "Taking On the Planet"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Spike TV Video Game Awards Tease "Taking On the Planet"

The latest Spike TV VGA teaser shows a game where players will likely engage in a worldwide battle.

The exclusive premieres coming to Spike TV's Video Game Awards next month on December 11 just keep growing. The network has released yet another teaser for a game that could feature a huge conflict.

The teaser says: "Get ready to take on the planet," and shows a view from space of what is presumably Earth. A targeting reticule then appears and the camera zooms to a view of cloud-covered mountains. The final shot we get is of what appears to be a signal flare burning on the ground and a helicopter flying above.

According to NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412507&page=8], the video was tagged with "EA Games" at one point, which has fueled speculation that the teaser is for Battlefield 3. It's hard to get a good look at that chopper to determine if it's futuristic or modern-day, so there's not too much to go on for the game's setting aside from the fact that it hints towards a planet-sized battle. That targeting interface definitely infers that someone will be firing things from space.

This "planet" game joins the future reveals for zombie-related [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290609273&sr=8-2]. Does Spike TV have anything else under its sleeve? I'm almost thinking about watching the VGAs this year, maybe.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Tempted to call first but i won't be an ass.

From what i've read on the Lucas arts forum they plan on announcing a game there too, but then again it could all be just talk.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
I second the desire for a new IP. Even if I don't like military FPS, maybe it will be a RTS, which I do like.

And no, I won't be watching the awards. I find Spike to be an affront to my intelligence. If that makes me an elitist than I'm the biggest elitist the world's ever seen.

Rubbish.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
viper3 said:
Tempted to call first but i won't be an ass.

From what i've read on the Lucas arts forum they plan on announcing a game there too, but then again it could all be just talk.
You kinda just did -_-

OT: That ad, trailer things was terrible. They couldn't have made a less inciting fifteen seconds if they tried.
I like to say i had the oppertunity without taking it, a fine line i know, it gets me into trouble alot, but hell, it's fun. (Translation: Sorry, yeah, i'm a bit of an ass at times but then again who isn't?)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Pleeease be Battlefield 3!!! I'm thinking it will be, and that would be awesome! 2011/2012 are looking to be good years for games.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
IF it's a battlefield trailer I might weigh in that it could be the sequel to Battlefield 2141. Plotwise, the earth has entered an ice age and people are fighting over the last bits of easily inhabitable land. The earth looks very snowy and dark there (which could just be a coincidence).

As for the VGAs themselves, I think they're kind of a joke. If the gaming industry were people, Spike would be the frat boy who plays Halo and CoD with this "bros". I half expect someone to just walk on stage and go "BLACK OPS WINS EVERY AWARD EVER!!!!!!!!! JAGER BOMBS! JAGER BOMBS!" then end the show.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
If it IS Battlefield 3, I demand one thing out of the game. Give. Special. Ops. C4. Back! Do you not trust us with it? Or did Snipers do the thing that we wouldn't do?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Damn, I've never watched the VGAs before, but now I'm tempted to. From what little I've seen of it, it looks completely overblown, cheesy, stuffed with pointless celebrities, and a whole bunch of more crap.

If this is the closest we've got to "The Oscars" of gaming, we really need to step it up.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The trailer sounds like someone is trying to do another "Destroy All Humans" type game to be honest. Perhaps with a more serious bent. Not all that new an idea.

I could be wrong of course, but it would be nice if they didn't recycle ideas quite that much, or that (relatively) quickly. Especially seeing as "Destroy All Humans" degenerated to the point where even last gen it kind of poisoned me against the concept, which will probably remain for a while.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Why does the trailer zoom-in on the North Pole? I mean, honestly, who would want to fight over the North Pole? It's a cold, you can't grow anything there, and a valuable resource isn't in sight. I demand a logical explanation.