Stolen Pixels #244: Fan Bait

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
This game is so cool. I can just run it in a window and play it on/off through out the time i'm on the computer :D

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Agree its purely fanservice.

Watched Total Biscuit's WTF is poker night at the inventory
basically got all the fanservice desired in barely 2 rounds.

And I find tycho there a total c***

Jan 23, 2009
Shamus Young said:
This is obviously an experiment, so I'm hoping this game is successful enough to achieve regular follow-up titles.
I couldn't agree with you more. I read some reviews about how "terrible" a poker game this was... except... everyone I who is playing this couldn't play poker before they bought it. I think some people (game journalist types) are really missing the point on this one. I'm glad to see you got it at least =S

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Enjoying the game a lot, shame I can't change the "Idle chit-chat" setting for some buggy reason.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
Woah. That is NOT how imagined Tycho. As far as Penny Arcade goes, The voices of the characters are usually just Mike(Gabe) and Jerry(Tycho). On Topic, I have no idea how to play poker, so i can't really comment on this game.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
The fan service is awesome, the Poker is broken as all hell.

I was in a 1v1 against Max, I had a flush max had two sevens... somehow a pair of sevens beat out a flush and I had almost double the cash of max before going all in so it wasn't a case of not being able to cover the sidepot.

Poker Night at the Inventory is seriously fucked up when it comes to the most basic rules of Poker and is in bad need of a patch and for someone over at Telltale to go a google search on hand values.

Doctor Insanovic

Feb 1, 2010
haha yeah, I had 3 kings and 2 twos and got beaten by 2 kings and 2 twos. fail much? still, the game is a lot of fun, especially for 5 bucks.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
This is how fan service is done. I'm a sucker for card games, too. So let's hope there is a healthy franchise of this kind of stuff in the near future.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Doctor Insanovic said:
haha yeah, I had 3 kings and 2 twos and got beaten by 2 kings and 2 twos. fail much? still, the game is a lot of fun, especially for 5 bucks.
Thats five kings... there are only 4 kings in a deck of cards. Was that a typo or were there really 5 kings in play?

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I'll have to try this game, although the weak AI will probably frustrate me as I'm quite an avid poker player.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
the protaginist said:
Woah. That is NOT how imagined Tycho. As far as Penny Arcade goes, The voices of the characters are usually just Mike(Gabe) and Jerry(Tycho). On Topic, I have no idea how to play poker, so i can't really comment on this game.
I've never heard either of them.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Fan bate? More like Fan Master Bate.

I just don't like poker, so I didn't buy it. I guess it's nice if you want to play it but don't want to go anywhere or can't find anyone to play it with.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Poker is a fad card game? Because fads tend to hang around for 100+ years...

though... I did just buy me some bitchin` new pogs.

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
Void(null) said:
Doctor Insanovic said:
Thats five kings... there are only 4 kings in a deck of cards. Was that a typo or were there really 5 kings in play?
The game uses the rules of Texas Hold 'Em, where each player is dealt two cards, and there are five shared cards on the table. Assuming there were two kings on the table, and Doc had one in his hand, his opponent would have two knigs (the ones on the table) and he would have three (two on table, one in hand).

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I didn't buy it because it seemed like a cash grab to me, but admittedly I would like to see this kind of thing done more often.

Argh, I sense mental contradiction.

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
This is... probably the hundredth time I've heard the name Justin Bieber inserted into a joke, but for the life of me I don't know why. His Wikipedia article isn't inherently odd or anything, although he seems to get a lot of attention for being young. Can anyone explain the reason he keeps being referenced all the time? It makes about as much sense to me as using any random name, like Nolan Bushrock or something.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
I always heard him with a mellow voice. Maybe not Kelsey Grammer, but something like Jeff Goldbloom or a white version of Cedric the Entertainer