In Brightest Day

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
In Brightest Day

MovieBob walks you through the Green Lantern trailer moment by moment.

Read Full Article

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
I know a lot of people are absolutely stoked about this movie... but I think it looks terrible, the cgi is piss poor, I've seen better (a WHOLE lot better) done by so called amatures.

They've also entirely screwed up his character... it's not Hal.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I think I'd get a lot more out of these things if I had Bob sitting next to me explaining everything like this as we go. :)

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Fumbleumble said:
I know a lot of people are absolutely stoked about this movie... but I think it looks terrible, the cgi is piss poor, I've seen better (a WHOLE lot better) done by so called amatures.

I agree dude. I'm a huge green lantern fan and when I heard that Ryan Reynolds was playing Hal Jordan, I got very upset. As for the CGI, I read somewhere that the CGI we see in the trailer was unfinished. Honestly, I'm not sure whether to buy that or not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That is a ridiculously in depth analysis.

But I couldn't stop reading...

Looks/sounds good to me, then again, I've never really seen Green Lantern outside of Justice League before.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
First something not really related - I know this is not going to be a deep story and there's not going to be a "Statue of Liberty in the sand" moment, but latest trailers (in general) seem to tell you the whole damn plots of the movies, first noticed this at Iron man 2, but a lot more movies seem to be doing that.

Fumbleumble said:

Well it's probably not the final FX version. Even Hal's suit looks wierd. Though the breathing and muscle movement might even be a bit "too real" (I think that's like how it'd probably look in real life, but looks strange when you actually see it that way).
Yeah, the character is, as far as my limited knowledge is conerned, a bit less Hal and a bit more "hero needs to overcome his fears and better himself so his triumph can be more obvious"

On the general note - this looks far from groundbreaking, and I was never that much of a fan of GL (too much aliens and their technology, just uninteresting in a superhero story IMHO). Also, "Green lantern: First flight" cartoon basically has the same plot (doesn't have the extra villian, but that's probably more due to length of the movie) doesn't it? Would be interesting to compare the two.

p.s. I'd rather see a Deadpool movie with Ryan than this, I think the character suits him more (action, yet with a lot of comedy). I guess WB offered more money, or got some contract on him.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I'm not sure why they didn't just go with Kyle Rayner. It would have been a better fit for Reynolds and a more plausible character for our time. The trailer did get me excited again though. Seeing the effort they are putting forth in background to the universe is not only impressive but really inspired.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Man, there's a LOT of hating on the as yet unfinished Green Lantern movie so far, isn't there? Great analysis, Bob.

I'm actually looking forward to it and can't wait to see Mark Strong's Sinestro...

That said, I'm aware they've made Hal out to be less than the fearless, no-nonsense man he is in the comics but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of having a character the audience can identify with and who shares in their bewilderment at Green rings, Oa and Hector Hammond and all that other stuff.

I think I'm the only one who likes the concept of the ring replicating the musculature of its wielder and projecting that as their uniform/armour.
I think the danger of making comic based movies is having this ready made and hostile fanboy audience who obviously want to see it done right and be awesome, but I think are far too volatile when it comes to their demands on every single detail of the comic being followed.

I for one was delighted with Nolan's take on Batman and the minor changes and explanations he offered for the suit, Tumbler, Ras Al Ghul etc. Does he look like he does in the comics? No, he doesn't look like an exact carbon copy and that's actually a good thing.

Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I believe I speak for everyone when I say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9yfnAI4UJo

except it's a compliment <3.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I still more or less want to punch Ryan Reynalds in the mouth every time he opens it in that movie. But then again a lot of it is probably exactly what was pointed out: the differance in personality between the comic book Hal, and the personality he's playing.

As far as using Kyle Raynor instead, well going by the personality it seems like they are trying to do a hybrid. As I've said before though, Kyle isn't even worthy of polishing the ring, never mind wearing it. :p

I think they could have done the movie without making Hal into what seems to be an irresponsible hot shot. I am guessing from what I've seen the idea is that he's supposed to learn disapline and rise to the challenge of being a hero, yadda, yadda. The problem is that it's not a storyline/plot mechanism that works for "The Green Lantern". The Ring picks the best/most worthy person on the planet for the job. The way Hal was portrayed (he was kind of bigger than life, and nearly flawless/fearless to begin with) this made a degree of sense that he might have been picked. The take on the character just from what we've seen in the trailers seems like he'd hardly make the cut. If he represents the absolute best of humanity... wow... we've really fallen in the standards we look to for an ideal.

The only way I could see the character Ryan is playing getting a ring (just from what he says in some of those scenes, and the vibe he exudes) is if he was handed one by a guardian personally, because I can't see a ring choosing him on it's own. To put it bluntly he'd have to be a "Guy Gardner", who was always kind of a jerk, even before they turned him into the Green Lantern Corps. court Jester for all intents and purposes. :p

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Boba Frag said:
Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.
That's not creative licence.. it's character assassination.

Anyway you can only go so far when exercising 'creative licence' before it ceases to be the thing it was based on... and this officially misses the mark.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I have a feeling the entire movie I'll be saying, "Ryan Renyolds is kicking some major ass." instead of saying, "Green Lantern is kicking some major ass."

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
If they are going with "John Stewart as a military man", then someone's been severely futzing with his origin. He's a peaceful man, an architect (which is why he was the one to deal with Mosaic), and didn't even meet Hal until he became a Green Lantern.
Now, dropping him in before hand is fine, but changing his nature? Uh uh.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
I'm just worried about how sick we're all going to get of origin stories by the end of the summer. Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America... I know how they all came to be, but I have to wait until the sequels before I can get a new, meaty story. Bummer.

Oh, and after that, I get to sit through Uncle Ben's death again. Pfft...

OT: Looks like Sinestro isn't the villain for this movie. Interesting.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
Boba Frag said:
That's not creative licence.. it's character assassination.

Anyway you can only go so far when exercising 'creative licence' before it ceases to be the thing it was based on... and this officially misses the mark.

This has been carefully handled by Warners not least by assembling a strong cast but also giving the project to a veteran director in Martin Campbell. The man gave us Goldeneye, Mask of Zorro amongst other quality movies.

"Character assassination" by the way, is totally out of context. You can't call alterations in a fictional character's idiosyncracies "character assassination" because quite frankly, that's ridiculous- Hal Jordan is not being called a paedophile, is he?

Because that would be proper "character assassination".

What mark, exactly? What's wrong with what we've seen in 2 minutes of fast cut footage?

In what way exactly have the film makers gone crazy with creative license that it's stopped being Green Lantern and somehow turned into Ryan Reynolds in SPAAACE?

Kilowog, Oa, Feris aircraft, Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Abin Sur, ALL make an appearance, as well as glimpese of far more Green Lanterns. This is a faithful adaptation.

The film is incomplete, it hasn't even been released yet and already people are making up their minds.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
ritchards said:
If they are going with "John Stewart as a military man", then someone's been severely futzing with his origin. He's a peaceful man, an architect (which is why he was the one to deal with Mosaic), and didn't even meet Hal until he became a Green Lantern.
Now, dropping him in before hand is fine, but changing his nature? Uh uh.
Not wanting to sound like a total douche... but probably doing it anyway... he is a peaceful man and an architect, but he does have a military background in the Marines.

He's not a belligerent guy, but he does have a steel backbone, as it were :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart_(comics)#Fictional_character_biography

pearsmb06

Nov 11, 2009
Really? what we needed for this trailer was a walkthrough of the comics minutia behind it? My first thought upon seeing this wasn't "gee, I hope this meshes with nerd canon" it was "holy crap, that looks terrible". The cg is bad, there is nothing to get me (a non comic reader) excited and worst of all the costume is terrible. If they were to lose that horrible mask it might be tolerable, but I want to laugh every time I see him in costume and I can't be alone on that.

Also, Blake Lively is supposed to be a major part of this movie? She had one line in the trailer, and she delivered that with all the sincerity of a wooden mannequin. it's not like saying "this test is important," really requires major acting chops and she couldn't even pull that off. And that's the line they CHOSE for the trailer (notice how she's conspicuously absent throughout the rest).

Outlook is not good. and I think that might be a more pertinent topic than whether they got the name of his workplace right.

I like superhero movies and want them to continue far into the future but I'm worried for the future of these movies. Also if this movie is terrible, (and it might not be, this is just a trailer after all) I think the chances of ever seeing a Justice League movie go way way down.

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
As far as "Geek-a-palooza" (my new name for 2011; sooo many geek movies) goes, GL is my wild card. There seems to be a lot of fan division on this movie based on questions on casting, CGI, and possible story changes. Also, while as a comic guy, I know alot of this movie has to happen in space, don't know if the public is ready for a dip in the deepend of the DCU's mythos.
Still, the trailer is persuasive; I plan on seeing GL. If for no other reason than to see a CGI Kilawog! (or a real life Arisia Rrab!!!)

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I learned all I needed to know about that trailer here [http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-new-green-lantern-movie-looks-so-familiar/].