Chronicles of Cataclysm: The Next Chapter in The Barrens

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Chronicles of Cataclysm: The Next Chapter in The Barrens

Cataclysm isn't just about disaster, but rather the ongoing stories of Azeroth.

Read Full Article

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Hm, makes me wish that I had read more of the flavor text the first time through.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Oh my..
The rocket travel system seems like fun!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I just got through some level 45-60 on my old hunter alt.
Every single quest has been changed somehow.
Some quests are completely new, some are just changed to reflect the surroundings and some are more like follow-ups to the old quests.
Like this bloodsomething post in Felwood.
Pre-cata, it was just a flightpath with some vendors and quest givers.
But now, it's completely destroyed with everyone 'dead', because of what you did in the old quests.
It's awesome.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I've yet to see any of Kalimdor - there's so much content and levelling is quite fast now, so I have managed to get from level 1-42 without setting foot south of the Thandol span or crossing the ocean to Kalimdor (for reference, I am playing as the Forsaken, the best race). Really, it IS a new game. It's just so different to the game I gave up out of boredom a few months back, and so improved. Plus the new Forsaken quest chains are quite, quite awesome. Every warcraft player should play through the Silverpine quest arc.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
I might be getting a bit cataclysm saturated. I like the movies. They have been pretty entertaining and informative. But.... it's just everywhere. Less than two weeks from release, I won't fault anyone for getting hyped up about it, though.

Sidenote: I'm glad to see the Escapist give WoW some sweet, sweet lovin' before this expansion's release.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I'm playing through as an Alliance in the old zones, doing all the questlines that involved battling the horde (Southern Barrens, WPL ect...). The quests are awesome, but pretty depressing.

Code_Rose

May 23, 2009
Where is the "I have bought it, now stop showing your add before every video" button? Also, I just finished the quests in Mulgore. Very nice flow, good pacing. With heirloom gear, got out of there at about level 12.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
I'm playing through as an Alliance in the old zones, doing all the questlines that involved battling the horde (Southern Barrens, WPL ect...). The quests are awesome, but pretty depressing.
This, except apply to how it was when I was trying to complete a long trip to Stormwind only to find my destination at Auberdine Port a mouldering wreck. I'd expect at least 100 players server-wide making Planet of the Apes references when faced with the destruction of some of their old haunts. There also seems to be a lot more battlefield areas like in Dun Morogh where friendly NPCs are engaged with respawning enemies to make things feel more war-like as opposed to making you do all the work.

Chris 'Chaos' Voce

Oct 3, 2010
Blasted Orcs always stealing my mushrooms
What I would like to see is more story and gameplay of the Worgen cause they,lets be honest, look pretty damn cool

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
It just seems like now would be an awful time to start playing for the first time.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
My only big problem so far is very few people died in Cata so far aside from main story elements I have noticed the 2 raiders who run up and down Durotar are missing.. People that we had to kill like longshore are now magically back for no reason as if vanilla wow didn't happen.

That and wailing caverns is still around seriously make it a crater that place sucks.

Litchhunter

Apr 16, 2010
Lexodus said:
It just seems like now would be an awful time to start playing for the first time.
Actualy, it would be a great time for someone to start playing. The quests all have great flow and are very entertaining, also the very start of the game is easy to the point where the first quest is named "The Basics: Hitting Things". It's almost imposible to become lost and is fun from the very start.

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
About time Mankrik actually buried his wife. How many people have gone out and found her corpse for him before the Shattering only for him to just leave it there?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
After further play time I must add that I love the new Tracking System, particularly when you're trying to find a named boss enemy without having to purge an entire area.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Blizzard sent me an e-mail offering me 7 free days and i gladly took the opportunity to see the new stuff. 7 days is not that much to fully experience what WoW has to offer but eh, i got to see what i wanted.

I enjoyed the ally quests in the Southern Barrens, specifically the place where the "evil jungle" appeared. Deathwing also appeared there and killed me and set the whole place ablaze, 'twas pretty cool.

Not something i can say about the rest of the new-old world content, most quest hubs hold about 4 or so quests give or take that have similar patterns, one kill quest, one gather quest in the same location, one boss quest, and one gimmicky quest like transforming you into a tiger or air elemental or giving you gnome gadgets or similar stuff, that tries to break the pace. Then its report to captain whatever in the next quest hub...

Im thinking that they may have bitten more than they could chew with redoing the whole world. and i think it shows. Also, i leveled my druid alt from level 16 to 42 in FOUR days. Im not the person that likes grind and slow progress but this is just too much.