Update: New Battleground Coming in next WoW Patch

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Update: New Battleground Coming in next WoW Patch

Blizzard has pulled the veil off the next major content update for World of Warcraft, Patch 3.2: Call of the Crusade - featuring, among other things, a brand-new battleground called Isle of Conquest.

Immediately before last year's BlizzCon, a handful of games journalists - including yours truly [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5348-WarCry-Goes-to-Blizzard] - were given the opportunity to tour the Blizzard Campus and eat lunch with their head developers. It evolved into an informal Q&A, during which then-WoW Lead Designer Jeffrey Kaplan said that while the new Ulduar raid was planned for Patch 3.1, they couldn't talk about their plans for 3.2 yet. He did, however, say that they were working on something that "players will find very cool."

Apparently, that "very cool" something is a new Battleground. The official Under Development [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/] page lists the following new features to come in 3.2:

-Isle of Conquest, a new "large-scale siege battleground" that looks to be a hybrid of Arathi Basin, Strand of the Ancients, and Alterac Valley - get resources, get siege weaponry, attack the enemy keep.

-Arena Season 7, of course.

-The expansion of the Argent Tournament. As the Crusaders' Coliseum nears completion, there will be new quests and dailies available for solo content. The Coliseum itself will open, offering 5/10/25-man encounters (and presumably phat lewt) to would-be heroes looking to prepare for the fight against the Lich King himself.

All in all, looks like a fairly interesting patch. It's not surprising that there's very little PvE content coming in 3.2 (other than the Coliseum), seeing how most players haven't cleared Ulduar yet - damn you, Mimiron! I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the new battleground idea, too: It seems like a return to the large-scale battlefields of Alterac Valley, though one wonders if this means multi-hour rounds like the old AV.

As for what comes after Patch 3.2? Well, in the informal Q&A, Kaplan also said that Patch 3.3 would finally see the conclusion of the game's long-lived Ashbringer storyline. Whether or not this accompanies the final assault on Icecrown Citadel is anyone's guess.

Update: 3.2 will also bring long-awaited cosmetic upgrades [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/druid-forms.html] to Druid shapeshift forms. Speaking as a Druid who has watched all his friends get to admire their shiny new armor as they leveled up while he stared at the same bear/cat/tree/laserchicken ass from level 10/16/40/50 onward, can I get a F**K YEAH!, please?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Sweet, I can't wait to get back into it now. I've been trying to download the patches, but alas, my router is garbage and I'm getting my new one today. Along with another slew of problems, I'll be up and running WoW (hopefully) by tomorrow. Damn electronics. Never on my side it seems.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
The Crusaders Coliseum sounds like it'll be quite cool. Hopefully it'll give some more Crusader Seals so I can get the rest of my pets.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I don't think 3.3 will open Icecrown Citadel as a raid. I think they're going to do a sort of "stepping stone" raid, similar to how the Battle of Mount Hyjal was a stepping stone to the Black Temple back in Burning Crusade or and how that was a stepping stone to the Sunwell Plateau. Personally, I think it'll have something to do with the Nerubians, maybe a new wing of Azjol-Nerub, and then the final blow will be Icecrown Citadel. Maybe it'll be another chapter of the Blue Dragonflight's war on magic-users. The important thing is we'll know.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not all too excited about the new battleground. It seems Blizzard have run out of ideas, and they're just taking what they have, putting the concepts in a hat and pulling them out at random.

Strand did that, with Alterac Valley and Arathi Basin merged together to create a what I think is the worst battleground. Siege worked in Wintergrasp, but it didn't work in SotA. It was no longer Player verus Player, but Player vs Tank. I hated that.

I think Blizzard should just keep it simple when it comes to Battlegrounds. Warsong Gulch is still my favorite, closely followed by Arathi Basin. They hardly revolutionize any basics, being just CTF and Territory Control, but they are the most fun by far. I do however realize they might not really have any simple concepts anymore, and they're trying to work with what they have.

But that aside, I'm currently downloading the latest patch to prepare for my inevitable return to WoW. However, it seems the install, after taking 5 hours to get to 82%, has halted and locked itself there. Sigh.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
gibboss28 said:
The Crusaders Coliseum sounds like it'll be quite cool. Hopefully it'll give some more Crusader Seals so I can get the rest of my pets.
Amen to that. I found a Horde player willing to trade for all the Alliance ones, so that should be fun.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
gibboss28 said:
Amen to that. I found a Horde player willing to trade for all the Alliance ones, so that should be fun.
Nice, I really wanted to get some of those pets, except I kinda grinded myself silly after about a week and a half of doing 25 dailies a day... Giving myself a rehabilitation break at the moment... good to know that you can trade those pets across factions though.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Nooo Blizzard! This is what I get for having a buggy computer...I'm still trying to gear for the original 25-man WOTLK raids...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
So you had lunch with Kaplan...and you didn't punch him in the face? Not once? You didn't even think of it?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
oliveira8 said:
So you had lunch with Kaplan...and you didn't punch him in the face? Not once? You didn't even think of it?
Dude's a genuinely nice guy.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
gibboss28 said:
Yeah let him have the Lamb first...and then he can watch in horror as a wolf comes along and kills it. I've been asked by a guildy never to have that out in a raid as its too traumatising for her to watch

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
What he is not mentioning is the fact that Druids are getting new forms. (IE: Art, not actual forms)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Zephyr892 said:
What he is not mentioning is the fact that Druids are getting new forms. (IE: Art, not actual forms)
I am a very, very happy Druid right now. Still WTB Tree of Life/Boomkin forms, but getting our Ferals upgraded is a great start.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Druids suck.
/moonfire

or for us resto

/cyclone
/travelform

the news on new druid forms is great! I just hope the horde get a new 60% flight form as ours is just a brown ally one with ears...

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Can I get a F**K YEAH!, please?
Oh yes you can.

F**K YEAH!

One of the main reasons I grew so bored as a Druid is because, if Feral, you looked pretty much the same from level to level.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Update: 3.2 will also bring long-awaited cosmetic upgrades [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/druid-forms.html] to Druid shapeshift forms. Speaking as a Druid who has watched all his friends get to admire their shiny new armor as they leveled up while he stared at the same bear/cat/tree/laserchicken ass from level 10/16/40/50 onward, can I get a F**K YEAH!, please?
F**K YEAH! Sounds awesome, I can't wait!