Crytek Shows Its Warface

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek Shows Its Warface

A upcoming game from Crytek will see the studio that brought us the processor-torturing Crysis dip its toe into the world of free-to-play gaming.

The Seoul branch of Crytek has unveiled its entry for "Silliest Game Name 2010" award, with a new title bearing the hard-to-say-without-cracking-a-smile moniker, Warface.

Built using the CryEngine 3, Warface is a free-to-play near-future multiplayer military shooter aimed at the Asian market and supported by micropayments. The game is said to be the alpha stages right now, and will feature both co-op and PvP gameplay. In a press release [http://www.crytek.com/news/crytek-reveals-warface-2729735e0ba6501fe9ddc8a7b23280c7], Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli said that his company always strived to provide the best possible gameplay experience. He added that the reason that Crytek had opened an office in South Korea in the first place was so that it could make games tailored to the tastes of that part of the world.

Warface is something of a departure for Crysis, which has never made a F2P online shooter before. It'll likely be playable wherever you are - with a pretty significant language barrier of course - but I must admit the screen shots make it look a little generic. It's still early days though, so this might be one to watch.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/25/next-crytek-game-revealed-in-korea-warface/]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
holy crap those graphics are nice for a F2P game! Can't wait to try this.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
You call that a Warface? Show me your real Warface!
But yeah, it looks pretty generic.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009

OT: If this game could be anything like the ill-fated WarRock, then I might give it a look. For the most part, if it's free, and made by Crytek of all companies, than it has to be worth at least a try.

Hell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Warface is a free-to-play near-future multiplayer military shooter
Wow! I'm so super serially excited for this!

Wish someone would take the Cry Engine and do a King Kong game, where you run around a pretty island while fighting 5 story tall monsters. Hell, something other than militaristic shooters, pleeease.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Whinetek employee 1: hey, brown shooters are selling pretty good.
Whinetek employee 2: hey, micropayment games are making profit.
Whinetek employee 3: hey, asians play games too.
Cevat: MAKE A BROWN FREEMIUM SHOOTER FOR ASIANS!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
If I can't understand what they're saing in game then I'm not going to play it. And no, I won't learn another language.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"An upcoming game"

"Warface is something of a departure for Crytek"

archvile93 said:
If I can't understand what they're saing in game then I'm not going to play it. And no, I won't learn another language.
Through the magic of different servers I'd say you're going to be alright.

OT: Meh.

"Free-to-play" means "pay-a-hell-of-a-lot-more-than-you-would-but-the-payments-are-so-small-you-don't-notice-it-as-much-play".

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
Asehujiko said:
I don't really get the "games are too brown" argument. Would you really prefer your games in neon green and orange?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Free to play...

...if your computer can run the bloody thing. This is Crytek after all.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
ender214 said:
Asehujiko said:
I don't really get the "games are too brown" argument. Would you really prefer your games in neon green and orange?
I wasn't arguing that, I was pointing out that this game is an amalgamation of everything that's had a good run this year, which is generally a recipe for disaster or at least an underwhelming game.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
Issue with this? 80% of the people who play Free to play games can't run something on the crytek engine.