The Week in Review: Legal Wrangling and Code Cracking

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review: Legal Wrangling and Code Cracking

On this week's edition, Gran Turismo 5 slows to a crawl thanks to a congested internet, and Call of Duty: Black Ops is lauded and loathed in equal measure.

Bryant Bashed for Call of Duty Ad

ESPN commentators have criticised basketball player Kobe Bryant for his recent appearance in a Call of Duty: Black Ops commercial. One called the ad, which features Bryant using an assault rifle and grenade launcher, "one of the most irresponsible messages in the history of advertising," while another suggested that the game itself was "problematic and destructive." Despite these criticisms, the ad has been almost universally well received, and the game has sold millions of copies. (Link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105485-ESPN-Attacks-Kobe-Bryant-Over-Black-Ops-Commercial])

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
ir probably wasnt really news, but i'm kinda surprised the woman who "owns" the sun wasnt here.

anyway, i think Kobe is being treated unfairly. I mean, its not like he had sex with a ton of women (tiger) or beat his wife even though he's a devout christian (james harrison of the steelers. yeah, bet you didnt think people remember that, did you) or is just a complete douche (ovechkin. yeah.. I dont really know any controversial Hockey Stars). All he did was.. Oh wait, remembered another. Its not like he took steroids for years (Bonds, McGuire, Manny Ramiraz). Oka, I'm done now.

BUt seriously. he's in a game advertisement, with Jimmy Kimmel. And children. And a guy who at the end meets Most of Fox Networks stereotypical qualifications to be a terrorist. I mean, Lebron was in an ad eating donuts wearing his gear, and childhood obesity is a much worse problem then kids seeing Kobe playing a game they all play. Oh well, maybe its just me. I'm one of the vocal few who thinks Ben Roethlisberger didnt do what he was accused of in Georgia.

Oh, and on the GT5 thing, Hilarius!! XD. It appears over 1K cars was too much. well, oka, I know thats not really wats causing it, but still, its kinda funny all the same.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i loved the COD commercial, i dont see why kobe being in it is such a problem. what about all the other people who were in it?