Next GTA IV Episode Is The Ballad of Gay Tony

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Next GTA IV Episode Is The Ballad of Gay Tony

The Ballad of Gay Tony, Rockstar's second 360-exclusive DLC episode for Grand Theft Auto IV, moves the focus of GTA IV from roughneck bikers to the "guns, glitz and grime" of Liberty City's glamorous but danger-filled night life.

In a complete 180 from the blue collar and hardscrabble world of biker gangs in Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned, Rockstar is shifting its focus to the bright lights and big money of Liberty City's night life in its latest DLC episode, The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Players will take on the role of Luis Lopez, "a part-time hoodlum and full-time assistant to legendary nightclub impresario Tony Prince," otherwise known as, you guessed it, Gay Tony.

In typical Grand Theft Auto fashion, Lopez's lifestyle will inevitably put him at the center of conflicts that shed light on the ugliness at the heart of American life or something sophisticated like that. Lopez faces a "struggle with the competing loyalties of family and friends, and with the uncertainty about who is real and who is fake in a world in which everyone has a price."

"The episodic structure has allowed us to interweave stories, gameplay and atmosphere in a whole new way," said Sam Houser, founder of Rockstar. "The team at Rockstar North have yet again surpassed themselves, and made something that is both epic and very innovative."

The Ballad of Gay Tony will be available this fall for 1600 Microsoft Points. It will also be packaged as part of a standalone disc (playable without GTA IV) that will include Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned. That compilation, titled Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, will retail for $39.99.

Charlie_Brown

Jan 16, 2009
This...looks...real?
So this isn't a spoof article, it's actually called The ballad of Gay Tony?

Not at all what I was expecting, should be a good laugh I suppose. Go Rockstar.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sounds like fun. In fact, it sounds...

FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS!

Seriously though, Rockstar fixed some of GTA4's core mistakes with TLAD, so this should improve on the game even more.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i don't give a shit (DGS) if there is a gay character or not it's fuck'n GTA and it will be on disc too as well as dlc great ,but wait till that hypocrite jack thompson hears this the bastard

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
There are two things that we need from this DLC, a protagonist who isn't just a characicature of his sexual preference, and a story line that is more than 2 dimensional exploration of gay themes.

A good place to start is with The Wire's Omar little [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Little]; he is one of the best characters of the series in my opinion.

Nyeb

Feb 7, 2009
Ha, wow, bikers to gay guys. No suprises there.

I guess I'll download it. It was a pretty good idea of Rockstar to put these episodes on disk, too. Some people don't have internet and they like to ***** about not getting the same DLC.

Tyler_Durden

Feb 22, 2009
XDUCK said:
i don't give a shit (DGS) if there is a gay character or not it's fuck'n GTA and it will be on disc too as well as dlc great ,but wait till that hypocrite jack thompson hears this the bastard
jack thompson had his lawyer license revoked.
he cant do shit about shit pretaining to videogames anymore.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I was expecting an episode with that Irish family. Those guys were interesting. Oh well.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
XDUCK said:
"Rockstar's newest game turning kids into homosexual psychopaths?, more at eleven"

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Okay, I actually AM Gay, and a fan of GTA... But really, do you think that a lot of people are going to buy a game called GAY TONY? From a marketeers perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense, as the very word Gay has a lot of negative images attached with it. I mean as much as we like to believe that tolerance towards homosexuals is expanding, There will always be a big portion of the market who will not even consider buying the game, because of the name.

Which is a crying shame when you think about it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well it's some of their nice humour showing through. i wonder if they'll be forced to change it by glaad or someone else

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
as soon as I looked at the logo I realised I wouldn't be envious of 360 owners for this one

edit: i'll probably regret saying this since it'll probably rock despite the glittery shiny stuff lol... (I detest glittery shiny stuff, it puts homosexuality in an unfair stereotypical light)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I really hope that this DLC does not include a bunch of stereotypical flaming queens like Florian/Bernie but actually has some gay characters that are done properly and respectfully with thier gayness as incidental.