Empire Strikes Back Director Dies

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Empire Strikes Back Director Dies

Director Ivan Kershner has died at age 87.

Director Irvin Kershner has died at age 87, following a lengthy illness. Kershner is best known for his direction of 1980's The Empire Strikes Back, and rightly so, but that was by no means his sole contribution to the world of cinema.

Kershner was a World War II veteran who began his cinematic career by teaching film at the University of Southern California. From there he segued into television director and stills photographer before settling into film. His early films include A Fine Madness (starring Sean Connery), The Return Of A Man Called Horse (starring Richard Harris), and, in 1978, Eyes of Laura Mars, a film that made George Lucas sit up and take notice. Lucas called upon Kershner to direct the second film in his original Star Wars trilogy. Empire's obituary raves "Kershner's no-frills storytelling style, coupled with a strong script and an imaginative visual pallet, gave Empire a gravitas that marked it out as an instant classic."

Likely finding Empire a tough act to top, Kershner only directed two more films. He oversaw Sean Connery's last appearance as James Bond in Never Say Never Again and helmed another sequel in RoboCop 2. He'll always be best remembered for The Empire Strikes Back, though, and the indelible mark it left on film and culture at large.

Source: Empire [http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=29588]

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Leslie Nielsen, of "Naked Gun" fame also died today. Man, what a sad day for hollywood.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
:(

Irvin Kershner really can't get enough credit for what he did to Empire, he's the main reason it turned out so good.

May he rest in peace.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
At least now he won't get to see his movie butchered and made into 3D. Had he died after that would be like dying after getting kicked in the nuts.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
someone out there is picking out hollywood's best

why not Michael Bay? or Uwe Boll for that matter?

on an actual serious note, that shit's just sad, rest it peace, bro, may the force be with you

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
Timotei said:
At least now he won't get to see his movie butchered and made into 3D. Had he died after that would be like dying after getting kicked in the nuts.
so now its kicking a corpse in the nuts...

OT: while I personally am not a huge fan of the films, I can understand their significance, and nontheless the fact that this man died is quite sad, though I am in no place to realy say I morn him more then I morn any death....
nevertheless, R.I.P

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Rest in peace good sir, you left your mark on cinema, and we're all the better for it.

Feb 13, 2008
Irvin Kershner had many long battles with Lucas over how dark Empire needed to be.

For that alone, he is worthy of a great place.

Tell me George, did you ever remember him?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
May the Force be with you, Irvin. I cannot thank you enough for directing my favorite movie of all time. It was your direction that made it what it was...

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
The director of one of the greatest films of my childhood dies on the same day as one of my favuorite hollywood comedians. All of the greats we grew up with a dropping like flies at the moment. Pretty soon, the world of "quality entertainment" will be a thing of the past. Oh how I weep for future generations, unable to experience greatness like this.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
This hapened last year, too. Heath Ledger and Scarlette Johansan, then they threw in Billy Mays for the next 15 minutes only!