Bungie Scuttled Halo: Reach's Multiplayer Space Battles

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Bungie Scuttled Halo: Reach's Multiplayer Space Battles

Bungie created a working version of multiplayer spaceship battles but ultimately decided that it would be too awesome to include in Halo: Reach.

Remember that sequence in Reach when you have a dogfight in space against the Covenant? It kind of plays like those parts of the old Nintendo 64 space combat sim StarFox 64 where Fox McCloud would whisk around a relatively small area trying to take down a specific enemy. The space fight mission in Halo: Reach is definitely a far cry from the more open space battles of, say, Tie Fighter, but it was a nice departure from the run and gun gameplay of the rest of the campaign. Bungie's Creative Director on Reach, Marcus Lehto, said that the space combat was a darling of the studio and almost made it into multiplayer before the team ultimately decided that it was probably better saved for a different game.

"We joked about it from time to time and even had a rough version of it working very early on in development," said Lehto. "But the mechanics of it were pretty silly and we very quickly realized that the resulting gameplay experience wouldn't hit the bar we were aiming for, nor justify the amount of work required.

"With so many features and so much content already committed, Reach was an incredibly ambitious project on an already aggressive schedule," Lehto said.

While the dogfight in Halo: Reach was nothing to really write home about, here's hoping that Bungie devotes some time to a space combat sim soon. The genre hasn't gotten much love since the 90s, but it produced some excellent games like the aforementioned StarFox and Tie Fighter, but also X-Wing and the Wing Commander series. If any studio can repopularize the space combat sim, it's Bungie. And now that the company has signed with the Activision Behemoth, it may just have the resources to make it happen.

Now get to it!

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=278095]

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I love the Tie Fighter picture. It definitely hasn't aged well at all...but god damnit I want to go play it again right now.

I guess I should mention something about the topic though...

I never played Halo:Reach, and I didn't know that there was a Star Fox-esque mission in it, but....a space simulator of some sort would be great. *Pulls out joystick*

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
How the heck did you forget to mention the last great space fighter combat sim, Freespace 2?

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Wing Commander is my personal favorite Space Combat series. You just can't go wrong... except for the movie...

OT: Kind of a disappointment. I was hoping they'd have Multiplayer space combat, maybe not now, but in a future DLC.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Maybe Bungie will get the rights to and work on Star Wars: Battlefront 3. ;D
That's what came to mind when I though "Halo" and "space dogfight". If they could mix the Halo FPS formula with free-flowing space combat, Bungie might might be able to pull off another hit.

I can dream :'(

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Ahh I miss those kinds of games. If it can be made popular, I'm in support. I don't care who gets the ball rolling.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
We do need a decent space combat sim. I'm not talking about the rail shooter bits like most of Star Fox, although that's still a core piece, but something more like Star Fox's "all range mode" where you have an open field and "go nuts" But the linear gameplay I'm nitpicking. There are a bunch of cool ways to make it better and if people decided to finally get off the ground and realize that there are other genres, out there, this'll take off quite well

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I think he means "we will make another Halo game set in space using space combat to drain this franchise some more"

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Is it bad that my original thought before recognising the picture was "Wow some people can do a lot in Minecraft"?

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
Maybe space combat will be in whatever this new "Aerospace" thing is. A new franchise set in space maybe? Who knows...

see - http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid29872 [http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid29872]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Mcface said:
I think he means "we will make another Halo game set in space using space combat to drain this franchise some more"
wow your late, don't you know? Bungie isn't working on Halo anymore, Reach was their last Halo game, at least for 10 years.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
SachielOne said:
How the heck did you forget to mention the last great space fighter combat sim, Freespace 2?
It's directly descended from X-Wing Alliance.
No really. Same team, same engine (with some tweaks).

TIE Fighter -> X-Wing -> Freespace -> Freespace 2

All great games in a dead genre.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
I will say it again - Tachyon: The Fringe was the ultimate expression of the space combat sims, making its appearance just as the genre was gasping its last.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Make this into DLC Damnit!

That was one of the more memorable missions in that game, considering the space fighter genre is pretty dead.

Sure its not as indepth as... all the other games people are spouting on about. But it was fun, and would have been a good break between Team Slayers and Objective based games. DO EET BUNGIE.