Leslie Nielsen Dies

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Leslie Nielsen Dies

Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in the Naked Gun and Airplane! franchises, has passed away.

Believe it or not, for decades Leslie Nielsen was best known as a fairly straight-up dramatic Airplane! [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000558/] and struck comedy gold by playing it straight in an absurd, insane disaster movie spoof. Amazingly, it was his first comedy role after more than 30 years in the business, but it established the kind of role Nielsen would ultimately become famous for.

Two years later came Police Squad! [http://www.amazon.com/Police-Squad-Complete-Leslie-Nielsen/dp/B000H7JCFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291047302&sr=1-1], a brilliant but doomed television series that baffled audiences and network executives alike and was canceled after only four episodes had aired. The gags flew fast and furious, to the point that many viewers had trouble keeping up; Tony Thomopoulos, then the president of ABC Entertainment, famously said, "Police Squad! was canceled because the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it."

Nielsen would continue to appear in dramatic roles in various television series and made-for-TV movies but his reprisal of Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant, Police Squad in the 1988 film Order of Canada [http://www.amazon.com/Naked-Gun-Files-Police-Squad/dp/0792166469/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291047302&sr=1-2] in 2002.

Nielsen was born in Regina, Saskatchewan and made his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The circumstances surrounding his death remain unclear; he was originally reported to have been killed by left-wing insurgents from Paraguay, although other accounts claim he threw himself on a grenade to save the battalion or was perhaps traded to the Cubs for Reggie Jackson. It's also possible that he died of complications from pneumonia. He was 84.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
RIP Leslie Nielsen, I guess that mean the "old" comedy spoof had left with him as well (unless I forgeting someone who is still alive).

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can?t tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I?m a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I?m just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can?t you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can?t take a guess for another two hours?

Ah...so good. I must watch Airplane! today in honor. What a brilliant comedian.

RIP Leslie, you'll be missed!

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
This is a sad day for comedy all over the globe.
Rest in peace Leslie, may your humour satisfy whatever gods you've ended up with.
Knowing your work, it should be sheogorath.
With sorrow and all possible respect
-Simen

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
His dramatic roles were actually very good. Forbidden Planet is one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. Surely, he will be missed. I picked a bad week to stop taking opiates.