Kick-Ass Creator Mark Millar Launches UK-Based Comic Con

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Kick-Ass Creator Mark Millar Launches UK-Based Comic Con

[vimeo=17223670]​
Mark Millar, creator of Kick-Ass, has announced he is launching Kapow! Comic Con in London next April.

Kick-Ass creator Mark Millar is tired of seeing San Diego Comic Con get all the press and sneak peeks. In that light, he has announced that he will be launching Kapow! Comic Con, which will take place in central London on April 9-10 of 2011.

Robot 6 has compiled a list of scheduled guests for the inaugural con, and it's a doozy: Kapow! "will feature such creators as Brian Bolland [The Killing Joke], Olivier Coipel [Legion of Super Heroes], Paul Cornell [Doctor Who], Andy Diggle [2000 AD], Steve Dillon [Hellblzaer], Dave Gibbons [Watchmen], Bryan Hitch [JLA], Jock [2000 AD], Brendan McCarthy [Judge Dredd], John McCrea [Hitman], Kevin O'Neill [The League of Extrordinary Gentlemen], Frank Quitely [Batman and Robin], John Romita Jr. [Spider-Man] and Leinil Francis Yu [New Avengers]." Information on featured movie footage will be released on February 14.

In the trailer promoting the con, Millar mentions Kapow! is a full two months prior to San Diego Comic Con, and so will be able to "scoop" all the big releases and surprises. As I still haven't yet been able to purchase my badge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105517-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Still-Refuses-to-Take-My-Money] for this year's SDCC, I may start saving up my pennies and go across the pond.

Source: Robot 6 [http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/11/mark-millar-launches-kapow-comic-con-in-london/#more-63248]

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Yet another event in London... why does almost everything end up there? it's one the hardest places to get to in this pitiful country! It would be easier and cheaper for me to get to Glasgow and I live in Birmingham!

Jul 22, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Yet another event in London... why does almost everything end up there? it's one the hardest places to get to in this pitiful country! It would be easier and cheaper for me to get to Glasgow and I live in Birmingham!
Really? o_O How cheap?

London Midland, Birmingham New Street to London Euston open return, £16.

£10.95 if you have a 16-25 Railcard.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
It's about damn time. I dunno ehether I'll go, largely depends on what I'm doing and whether I can get to London(I live in the north of England).

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Franky Boyle, eh?

I wonder how harsh his jokes will be on the audience.
I guess that may depend on how many people are dressed as Magical Maid Kawaiidesudesu-Chan.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
And once everyone arrives, Mark Millar will get on the PA system and call them all depraved sociopaths for showing up.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
This...this could be very good.
Just gotta see for money and costume availability.
If it's all good, I'm there!

Feb 13, 2008
Hell's teeth, that's quite a line up. Tickets may have to be booked.

In fact, an Escapism there could very well be in the cards.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
My father worked quite closely with Mark Miller, and I had the pleasure of speaking with him. During the entire conversation, it was easy to see that his mind was working at a million miles an hour. He's a brilliant writer, and I'm sure that this Convention will be a huge success. If I can somehow get to the UK, I'll be sure to go.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I saw him at Leeds Thought Bubble about a week ago, unfortunatly I did not get to meet him as I had talk panels to sit in on and the queue was HUUUUUUGE.

Actually that may have been John Romita Jr, I forget, sorry.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Because England is basically London as far as I know, to my recollection everything outside the M25 motorway is like the wasteland from Mad Max

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Oh God I am so there!

I have always wanted to go to one of these things and now there is one 20miles away from my house!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
A Pious Cultist said:
Franky Boyle, eh?

I wonder how harsh his jokes will be on the audience.
I guess that may depend on how many people are dressed as Magical Maid Kawaiidesudesu-Chan.
Apart from anything else, its Frankie, not Franky. And more importantly he isn't mentioned anywhere. At all.
... Apart from these two posts.

Anyway, would be cool to go to, doubt I could afford to though.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
UK comic con... good :D Calling it 'Kapow'... bad D:

Pity it's in the arse end of England though.