CliffyB: Gears of War Announcement at Spike VGAs Will Surprise People

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
CliffyB: Gears of War Announcement at Spike VGAs Will Surprise People

The Gears of War announcement will also be "awesome," says Epic Games' design director.

[gametrailers=707919]

Epic's CliffyB, more properly known as Cliff Bleszinski, has teased an upcoming announcement about the Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0H79C/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=077GW86R3RWYRDSHSNES&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] series in a short promo video for the Spike Videogame Awards taking place on December 11th.

The video is a mix of real-life Bleszinski, cinematic cutscene and gameplay footage. Bleszinksi introduces himself, and then a voice-over pipes up, warning people not to miss the Gears of War announcement that will have "everyone talking," at the Spike VGAs. Bleszinski echoes the sentiment, saying that what Epic has to show will be "awesome," and not what people are expecting.

Obviously Bleszinski doesn't give any clues about what the announcement could be, but it could have something to do with the rumor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105321-Gears-of-War-Rumored-to-Be-Coming-to-Kinect] that surfaced a couple of weeks ago about the Gears of War series was coming to Kinect. At the time, Bleszinski Tweeted that Gears of War 3 wouldn't have Kinect support, but he never specifies that the announcement would be Gears 3, instead saying just "Gears of War." It's not the most compelling evidence admittedly, but it's safe to say that it would qualify as something that people wouldn't expect, and would get them talking.

The announcement of a Kinect Gears at the Spike VGAs would also fit pretty well with Microsoft's marketing strategy for the device. When it wanted to get casual gamers and families buying Kinect, it got it on shows like Oprah and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Now, if it's trying to get core gamers to buy Kinect, taking advantage of an award show that a lot of them will be watching would be par for the course.

Of course, this is all just speculation. Bleszinski might never specify that he's talking about Gears of War 3, but the cinematic that proceeds the gameplay footage in the video is part of the reveal trailer for the game that was shown back in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99925-Gears-of-War-3-Gets-Release-Date-and-Trailer]. It's just as likely - and in fact would be a far simpler explanation - that there's some nifty new gameplay mechanic that Epic will be showing off, and these rumors of a Kinect Gears of War will be exposed as unfounded and ultimately false.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=278322?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Kinect.. and a shooter? It just doesn't seem like it would work in my head. Maybe i'm just too simple :(

Hopefully it'll be just some random mechanic that's 'all new' like.. quicktime events or something.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I hope it is something to do with Kinect. First because it would have the potential to shut those up who have nothing better to do than complain that there is no hardcore gaming on Kinect (or who, more often, seem to complain that there are somehow no games at all). Second because I'm interested in seeing how Kinect could be used by a developer very experienced in making core titles... for better or worse.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
So, a surprise? It can't be Kincet compatibility then because people have pretty much been guessing that for an eternity now.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
"awesome," and not what people are expecting.
"Epic has teamed up with THQ and Double Fine to present... Costume Quest for the PC! (Also, Gears 2 PC)"

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010

"remember us, Cliffy? we haven't forgotten you, we miss you"

who am I kidding, I will buy the new Gears anyways, even if I don't have a 360, they are just that awesome T-T

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Does anyone else find it kind of annoying when companies announce an announcement?

"Hey guys, we have something to tell you! We want you to know that on December 11 we are going to tell you something! Oh wow! How awesome is that!?"

Ugh.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
NO NO NO GOD DAMN IT, NO! ENOUGH WITH THE GOD DAMN TEASERS!!!

Ugh! Well, I wonder what this "surprise" will be. Given that we all know 3 is on its way, and it was rumored that the series could utilize Kinect... not much really seems like it'd be surprising.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
teh_Canape said:

"remember us, Cliffy? we haven't forgotten you, we miss you"

who am I kidding, I will buy the new Gears anyways, even if I don't have a 360, they are just that awesome T-T
Oh my. I think I've played that game, a long, long, looong time ago.

Anyway, the short snip we got to see from the gameplay looked smoother than Gears 2, which is a good thing. Walking around in both Gears 1 and 2 felt a bit slow, although I guess that would make sense because of the giant power armour you're wearing.

Oh well, I hope it's Gears of War 3. I've always liked the franchise.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
D_987 said:
Chapper said:
Oh well, I hope it's Gears of War 3. I've always liked the franchise.
Implies you know nothing of:

Ah yes, I should have elaborated.

I hope it's Gears 3 they're going to show. I'd like more info :)

And no, I hadn't seen that one, thanks.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
The series is finished and there won't be anymore games? that would be pleasant surprise.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Gears 3 will utilize the new Unreal Engine 4?

Nah. They just updated 3, didn't they?

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
He said a while ago he wanted to add RPG elements.
Hopefully its this, and not some kinect bullshit.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Taking cover while using the Kinect.
Should I run towards the TV, turn my back towards it while running and then slam into it? O_O
If this comes with a Kinect compability, I sure hope there also is a disKinected function.
[SUB]See what I did there? DisKinected?[/SUB]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
In Gears 3 you'll have TWO chainsaws on your gun *gasp*

Seriously, I don't except much from a man who thinks deciding whether to kill an enemy with a shotgun or with a melee attack is emergent gameplay.