Final Fantasy Creator Posts Early FF9 Design Notes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy Creator Posts Early FF9 Design Notes

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has unearthed old design documents from early in the development of Final Fantasy IX, and posted them online for all to see.

Final Fantasy IX is a strange entry in the series. After the gritty, more futuristic FF7 and FF8, FF9 was a return to the series' more light-hearted, fantastic roots in both form and function. For many of those who played it, though, it remains one of the most beloved installments in the long-running JRPG franchise.

Final Fantasy IX was also the last entry in the series where the original concept was created by the original Final Fantasy creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi - currently working on Mistwalker blog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105420-Legendary-Final-Fantasy-Composer-Scoring-The-Last-Story] for all to see.

It's a very interesting read for fans of the game, being half extremely rough script - of the very beginning of the game - and half simple design notes, where black mage Vivi's character is noted as being "introversive[sic], quiet, obedient, indecisive, pure in heart and kind."

If you're a FF9 fan, it's rather charming to see how the game looked in this initial early form, and to see what changed - the initial fight with Steiner was supposed to be a cutscene, for example.

It's also interesting to note that the first thing mentioned in the closeup introduction of Princess Garnet is her breasts. Come to think of it, that does make sense given the flirtatious personality of protagonist Zidane, so I'll let it slide.

Now if only he could post design documents for Final Fantasy VI, too. We can only hope.

(Siliconera [http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column/index.html])

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Ah...my favorite Final Fantasy. I'll have to read through these design notes when I get some more time later. I'll have to play through it again as well! Haha

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
the last Final Fantasy I could call good without having to qualify the statement (with anything more than "Are you dense")

Then again it's worth noting he had the original concept but was not the Director. Yes that makes all the difference in the world

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
makes me want to play tho ff9 again, at some point Ill have to get it from the playstation network thing

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
My favorite Final Fantasy game. But its been so long since I played it, I barely remember the screenshot up there. Its from the beginning after the ship crashed right?

every Final Fantasy after was not as good, not because Square is getting worse, but because you can't beat perfection.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
My favorite game! ^-^
Not just favorite Final Fantasy game, but my all time favorite. ^-^

Very interesting notes. Always nice to see how it could have been.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Grr, one of the few main Final Fantasy games I haven't played. That's it, I'm going to play it. Now someone find some old FFVI documents please.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
And the bit with the breasts is why Zidane is one of my favorite "main" characters of the Final Fantasy series. If only he didn't look like such a *****

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
One of my favorite games ever as well..
I spent more than 200 hours on it
What fun times they were!

Always intresting to see design documents about something you love!
However I'm glad Zorn didn't end up as an old made, but made into the jester duet of Zorn/Thorn those guys were hilarious ^^

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I can't remember anything concerning Garnet's breasts...
And since I was at that point going into puberty I would assume those things would stick...

Zukonub

Mar 28, 2009
Garnet wasn't about the breasts as much as the ass. To quote the Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy:

...undoubtedly one of the most lovingly-crafted derieres I've ever seen in a video game. I'm kind of curious about how many man-hours went into sculpting and perfecting that particular part of Dagger's model, but not sure I'm prepared for the answer.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
Garnet? A conscious sex icon? That would probably ruin her depiction as a troubled aristocrat with feelings of abandonment.

I'm curious as to how they would have given Vivi a father figure, since his whole character arc was about not understanding who he really was.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Douk said:
My favorite Final Fantasy game. But its been so long since I played it, I barely remember the screenshot up there. Its from the beginning after the ship crashed right?
Yup, that's the first actual boss you see in the game. Usually followed by the first Game Over screen.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
Man, I hated this one.
I still don't know why, i played it right through, but everything from the Mist to Oglops just irked me.

And also, Necron? WTF??

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Heh. Boobies.

Anyway, nice notes, but can I see the Lost Odyssey notes...PLEASE?

I want to know how they came up with such an epic concept.