Sony Claims 4.1 Million Move Controllers Sold

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Claims 4.1 Million Move Controllers Sold

Sony is claiming victory in the motion gaming sales war, but has it really won?

Sony has countered a recent press release of Microsoft's that proclaimed Kinect had sold 2.5 million units in 25 days [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105704-Microsoft-Sells-2-5-Million-Kinects-in-25-Days]. Just one day later, Sony put out their own that says PlayStation Move has sold 4.1 million units worldwide, but is it being honest?

Sony says: "The sales of PlayStation Move motion controller for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system have reached over 4.1 million units worldwide." It also notes that this number does not include sales of the PlayStation Eye, required to use Move, or the PlayStation Move Navigation controller, a non-required accessory. According to Sony, those 4.1 million units are purely Move controller sales.

The biggest question is whether 4.1 million refers to units sold, or units shipped. Something that is "sold" means a customer owns it. Something that is "shipped" means a store has ordered it and it's still on the shelves. Sony clearly says "sold" here, but 4.1 million Move controllers having been sold seems to be in direct contrast to Sony's claims that just one month ago 2.5 million units had been "shipped."

With 41.6 million PlayStation 3 systems sold worldwide, the current number of Move sales would mean that around 5-10% of the system's install base already owns the motion controller. If this was true, why hasn't Sony been trumpeting its success with sales numbers rather than "shipped" numbers until the day after Microsoft's big news about Kinect?

Microsoft's 2.5 million number on Kinect sales apparently refers to the units actually sold at retail, but Sony must have had a really great month and Black Friday to reach its current claim, which is certainly a possibility. However, according to an Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/sony-ships-4-1-million-playstation-move-controllers-to-retailers/] translation of what is evidently Sony's Japanese press release, the number of 4.1 million refers to units shipped. It appears that Sony wanted to cut down Microsoft's exemplary sales numbers on Kinect here, and may not have actually sold that many PlayStation Move units. With the current information available, the situation is still blurry, but perhaps Sony will provide an official clarification.

Update: Sony has clarified that the number refers to units shipped to retailers, and not actual units sold.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Maybe they're counting the two nunchucks as separate items? In that case it may make sense, still kinda an underhanded move though.

Feb 13, 2008
Let's look at this logically.

What actually stops them from lying through their teeth? We don't have a Wikileaks for Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm... interesting...

Tom (or any other Escapist for that matter :p), is there any chance you could show me the original Japanese press release? Since I know Japanese I can probably give an accurate translation upon whether they mean "shipped" or "sold".

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It kinda strikes me as a bit biased to report two "Claims" but only label one as such.

Just sayin'

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Maybe they're counting the two nunchucks as separate items? In that case it may make sense, still kinda an underhanded move though.
I would think this seems right. I reckon they are saying that everyone who buys a Ball-on-Stick and a Navigation as two sales not one, and then another Ball-on-Stick on top of that. That would mean more like... 2.5 million actually sold... I'm not sure.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
I would think this seems right. I reckon they are saying that everyone who buys a Ball-on-Stick and a Navigation as two sales not one, and then another Ball-on-Stick on top of that. That would mean more like... 2.5 million actually sold... I'm not sure.
Well they did say two move controllers sold, not move controller sets so it's not liying as much as it is using a vernacular loophole.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I call bullshit on this. Kinect I can maybe see having sold 2.5 million because the world is currently enamoured with its "new" factor, regardless of its lack of viability for playing real games. It arrived with tons of fanfare and media coverage and so on, and even though the gaming world didn't receive it nearly so well, I'd wager a lot of money on 2.5 million being a viable number of sales between previous 360 owners buying the standalone model, and new owners buying the bundles.

Move, on the other hand, was received with a general "meh" from the public and video gamers alike. It received minimal marketing and even less media coverage, and unlike Kinect it competes directly with the Wii, being almost exactly the same control system. It launched with no killer app, whereas Kinect launched with Dance Central.

I'm a proud PS3 fan and always will be, and I'll almost always back Sony against Microsoft, but this simply cannot be true. There's just under $80 in my wallet right now, and I'd bet every cent of it on these numbers being a fabrication.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Cingal said:
It kinda strikes me as a bit biased to report two "Claims" but only label one as such.

Just sayin'
Not trying come off as biased myself, but it may have something to do with the actual figures involved. I'm guessing the reporter thinks 4.1 million by this time to be a bit steep.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Squid94 said:
Not trying come off as biased myself, but it may have something to do with the actual figures involved. I'm guessing the reporter thinks 4.1 million by this time to be a bit steep.
Makes sense, but, putting your own opinion into a report is what creates bias in the first place. =o

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Well they did say two move controllers sold, not move controller sets so it's not liying as much as it is using a vernacular loophole.
I suppose that you wouldn't really consider it, you'd just assume that Move had sold 4.1 million as opposed to 4.1m individual controllers. Damn them and their clever mouthwords!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Well if you think about this, that may be right. The Kinect is a stand-alone accessory that supports multiple people. For multiple people to use the Move, you need additional Move controllers. So it is quite possibly that households are purchasing 2 or 3 pairs of the controllers, which keeps the units sold correct, but lowers the installed base numbers.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Cingal said:
Squid94 said:
Makes sense, but, putting your own opinion into a report is what creates bias in the first place. =o
The bias is fine. It makes the escapist articles seem more human. That's a good thing, its never big bias, its "this reporter is unsure due to past statements" bias.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Kinect is a control for 2 people. Move stick is a controller for 1 person. Move not being double Kinect's sales should be the sort of thing they would hide...?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
All I know is that I haven't purchased one. I also know I still don't plan to. What is one when compared to 4.1 million though?

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I find this hilarious, because it's like the internet fan-boy war of PS3 vs. 360 has spread to the companies themselves, who are now essentially the equivalent of two teenagers posting on forums (through press releases). I half expect Microsoft to come back with a press release refuting Sony's claim that just says "Nuh-uh."

Glorious.

X-07

Nov 28, 2009
Well it is 4 move controllers maximum per PS3. If you played the gladiator game on sports champs you know exactly what I mean. A second move just to use the shield, I cant believe I gave them more money.

All in all Im saying the number is possible but only because multiple units are sold per household rather than per system.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Who's gonna lay me odds on whether its the Move or Kinect that first starts catching fire in homes up and down the country, in a repeat of the RROD/YLOD thing? :D

Honestly, I hope both side have spent some serious money making things reliable.