You are reading a blog. It has lots of words. Big words.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
The first games I played on a regular basis that were even remotely near "massively multiplayer" were DragonRealms [http://www.play.net], back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and having an AOL account got me shunned from the Internet community. I mean, no game has come close to the GS/DR combo in terms of long-term playability for me. I happened to be booking appontments for E3 and chatted with one of the guys from Simu, who happened to be an old DragonRealms GM. After a bit of talking, I was granted access to the games again--filled with fear, of course, because if my mom finds out I'm playing again, I'm so grounded--and returned to the lands of my youth.

Of course, much has changed. Gemstone has gone up a number to Gemstone IV [http://www.play.net/gs4/], and it has lots of new races, and a slick new interface where back in my day, we had a line for typing and a big box that displayed output and we liked it, by gum!

I went to DragonRealms (pretty much the same so far, which is good, as I am old and I fear change) and found myself going through the character creation as if it was yesterday. And what I found in a couple hours of play is this: Text-based games are still way more immersive than they have any right to be. They're certainly more immersive than most of the games I've played recently (save Guitar Hero, it does take a lot to get me jumping up and down). Instead of being some guy on a screen, I've got everything picked for my character, from standard race and profession stuff down to his exact birthday and birth year.

I think this is why role-playing has seldom made the jump from text-based games like MUDs to graphical games. Not only can I define the character down to little quirks and mannerisms, how I play the guy matters. If I act like a jerk to people, all they'll remember is that <Embarassing Fantasy Name Here> is a jerk, not that I'm wearing shiny armor and have obviously completed lots of raids. I'm not saying I'm typing "Forsooth, fair lady, doest thou know wherest I might find a weapons shop?", but it's be far easier to get into something like this than moving around characters on a screen. Text-based games still have more narrative strength for me, even though I'm playing it on a computer with enough juice to make a small sun in full 3D with lots of lens flares.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Original Comment by: Dib O

The first crpg that I found that allowed for some real roleplaying was Baulder's Gate. This mostly came through the dialogue choices that were available. Myself, I wouldn't allow my character to say anything that wasn't within his (my) definition of what a Paladin (class choice) would say. Made for a very enjoyable experience. That entire line of games provided similar role-playing opportunities. In Icewind Dale, my cleric could only cast spells that would benefit people; never ones that would hurt anything. So it can be done, but it is rare.

MMORPGs don't seem to provide much opportunity at all, which is a shame. Roleplaying servers seem to be more for the 'serious' player, but the UI/game design doesn't allow for it.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Actually, you're right. Planescape: Torment allowed similar choices, and the way you played influenced the story (as well as the possible endings, if I remember right). Still, it's been a while since I've played anything that involving. Usually it's stuff like "Going just dark side enough to get cool powers" in KOTOR. Yea, you could go all the way dark side, but the options were like "RAWR RAWR I AM EVIL," which never sucked me in much.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Original Comment by: Dib O

Hadn't thought about KOTOR. The roleplaying elements in it and the like (Jade Empire) seem to be more gameplay drivers than story, or more importantly, personal involvment, drivers. There is not anywhere near enough of that anymore.

Do you find that you have a more personal connection to the first character that you roll up in a given MMORPG, or at least the first you carry through to a particular level? After that, people just seem to make alts, gather wool or whatever, and discard the character. Maybe a lot of this is due the fact that you really can't do anything to change the world in an MMORPG. If my character ultimately doesn't matter, why should I care about them?

This can also be true of some stand alone games, especially the ones that a truly linear. The ones that allow things to change around you (Fable), or at least allow you to believe you have changed something, become more of an experience than a game. It's the rare straight-foward, this is my character game (Wind Waker) that makes you believe you are the pixels on the screen. The views expressed in Suspend My Disbelief [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/41/15] are a good look into one possible solution.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Me? I don't feel a personal connection to MMO characters at all. They're just mechanisms by which I interact with the game. I wasn't upset when my rogue got killed because "Bob is so awesome and he died," I was annoyed because I had to go get my body/get my stuff back/get my experience debt back. That might just be jadedness on my part--which I'll admit up front--but that is the case.

Part of it may have to do with story. In MUDs, I'm largely cutting out my own story. Literally, since it's text. I "go store" and "buy big freakin' sword" rather than going in, clicking on the icon I want, and running out. I "kill rat" rather than clicking the rat, clicking auto attack, and going to make a sandwich. In single-player games, characters dying may be a nuisance, but I'm also dismayed, because the I've grown to like the guy over 50-75 hours. In MMOs, most of the time, the only backstory I have is clicking Random until the character looks cool, then debating what name to give him. I'm not forced to think about him at all. I can, but where would I start? The backstory of most MMOs is rich and deep, but only on the game's websites or on related novels or, possibly, in the 3 minute cutscenes that open the thing. You can ignore the quests, click Accept, go kill 10 squirrels, come back, and click Finish and not miss anything (in game terms).

Whereas in MUDs (like Gemstone, actually), I have to build the guy, by myself, from the ground up, down to funny scars, hair streaks, etc. It's much more engaging and it does get the creative juices flowing. Maybe he got white hair not because I clicked "Random" and said "I'm tired of this, it's fine", but because he was traumatized as a child. I have to read quest descriptions and stuff because the format dictates it. Likewise, in single-player games, I have to read dialogue because it tends to be helpful ("Gosh, main character, maybe we should investigate those spooky old ruins we've been hearing about"), which makes it easier to get into the world.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Original Comment by: Adam

It's been my experience that the presence or absence of roleplaying is enforced mostly by the community of the game. In a game like World of Warcraft, the community is too large, diverse, and overrun by 12 year olds to really enforce anything, so even on the RP servers roleplaying is a dying art. A few years ago, by contrast, I played a MUD called Achaea where roleplaying came naturally to the game, because the community more or less demanded it of you; I've also played straight hack and slash MUDs with no RPing involved. It's not so much a format limitation as a mindset.

Of course, there is something to be said for the freedom of action in text games. It's not the same for my priest in WoW to emote "scratches his head" as it is for a MUD player to do the same, because in a MUD you believe that I'm actually doing it, since you can't see my character standing there like a bump on a log.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Original Comment by: Ward

II played Gemstone III/IV for years (7-8), and recently tried it out again after a 2 year hiatus ((thanks WoW). There's definately still a lot there if you're willing to invest the time and effort. The bottom line for me though is the ever-increasing cost. For $15 a month you get a bottom-barrel basic membership with only 1 single character slot. It gets really tough to justify, unless you're considering what you've already invested over the years into a character.

But if you're coming in (or returning) fresh, that dollar amount is pretty difficult to justify in my opinion. The additional costs for 'premium' membership (once you've gotten used to these perks, it's tough to live without), or extra character slots ($2.50 /month...seriously?), or the countless pay-events ($50-$200) all make me look to World of Warcraft and realize what an amazing deal it is in comparison. Not because of the pretty graphics, but because it's only a paltry $13 / month if you pay in advance. I play on an RP server in WoW, not to RP really, but to try to minimize the number of idiots I'm forced to interact with. Coincidentally, there's probably 100+ ex-Simu customers also on that server for similar reasons.

Yes, the immersion is definately not the same in the cartoon visuals versus reading the text of a MUD; however, there can still definately be immersion if you let it happen. The back story and lore is out there if you are interested in learning it, and the story lines within the game via quests can actually be pretty engaging if you take the time to follow them rather than skipping through.

Vandemar

Nov 5, 2003
Of course, we can all be happy with this [http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,70348-0.html]. ;)