OnLive Offers $10 Monthly Cloud Gaming Plan

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
OnLive Offers $10 Monthly Cloud Gaming Plan

OnLive doesn't charge a monthly fee for use of its cloud gaming service, but it is going to be offering a monthly flat rate for unlimited play of select titles.

OnLive, the world's first cloud gaming service, has expanded its offerings once again with the hope that it'll gain a broadened appeal in 2011. After unveiling a $99 MicroConsole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105406-OnLives-MicroConsole-Aims-to-Make-Console-Gaming-Easier] in November that allowed the PC and Mac service to be used through a television set, OnLive has revealed the details for a new "PlayPack" plan that offers unlimited access to a certain number of titles for a monthly fee.

OnLive once proposed charging a monthly fee to all users, but dropped the idea because users also had to pay for the service's games. The PlayPack flat rate will charge gamers $9.99 a month but offer "free" access to "recent, classic and indie titles" when it officially launches on January 15.

For now, OnLive is doing its dedicated users a solid and allowing free PlayPack access on 14 titles (as of this writing) that include F.E.A.R. 2 [http://www.amazon.com/World-Goo-Pc/dp/B001ENOVP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291313822&sr=1-1] to anyone that has ordered an OnLive MicroConsole through January 14. OnLive says it'll be filling out its PlayPack offerings in the coming weeks and MicroConsole owners will have free access to all of games added.

Newer OnLive game releases will typically be in its PlayPass plan, where users must purchase or rent them, but sometimes they'll be included in both plans or eventually migrate to the PlayPack over time. $10 per month is a pretty small price to pay if the PlayPack ends up including a decent selection of games. At the worst, it ends up being a pretty easy-to-use rental service for the time you choose to subscribe.

Thanks for the tip josh797 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/josh797]!

Source: OnLive [http://blog.onlive.com/2010/12/02/onlive-playpack-all-you-can-game-for-9-99month/]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
It seems that OnLive has formally kicked into gear. At least they're matching Metaboli now.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Onlive turns into the Netflix of gaming. This could be a very very good thing.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Uhh, this is how it should've been from the start... I'm glad they finally implemented it.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
This might get the ball rolling for them. I honestly think they were hoping to sucker people into paying monthly AND buying games using their service, but once they found out there weren't too many suckers, they changed gears.

Here's to hoping they don't sucker people into this 10 bucks a month thing, then change their terms mid-stream.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Do people really prefer this to having their own games?

I could never accept a service like this.. I want my discs where I can see them.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
I could see this working out quite nicely for them. Offer the new games as part of the play pack for a month, then make them buy the "full (onlive version of full I guess)" version to continue playing it. At least that's how I would do it. Customers are happy they have an influx of new games and can pay for the ones they really want to keep playing. Dev's might want it the other way though to keep royalties coming in after the games are not as new any more.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
this is about the only way i see this working, and that's if they end up including hte full library into the mix. as it stands i didn't use onlive simply because i had to pay for the games... well, that and honestly my PC is good enough to run even black ops on high settings still (its dated but still seems to pump out that required power).

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
halo3rulzer said:
LoopyDood said:
Onlive turns into the Netflix of gaming. This could be a very very good thing.
umm... wouldnt that be Gamefly?
You can't stream games from Gamefly like you can Netflix and Onlive. I don't even use the DVD features of Netflix.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
If it works, I'll use it. However, looking at the $9.99 PlayPack I didn't notice a lot I wanted to play. It might end up being something I try, then realize that what I want is found in a store or on Steam.