$1 Roguelike-RPG Begins Xbox Live Indie Games Winter Uprising

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
$1 Roguelike-RPG Begins Xbox Live Indie Games Winter Uprising

The Xbox Live Indie Games Winter Uprising has begun and is already proving that there really are quality games available on the cheap.

The Epic Dungeon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105360-Xbox-Live-Indies-Rise-Up-to-Prove-They-Dont-Suck] for just 80 Microsoft Points ($1). The real-time roguelike is definitely worth the price of entry and was a great way to kick off the promotion.

Epic Dungeon sends players into a 50-level randomly-generated dungeon to kill monsters and find loot. Sounds great so far, right? You'll choose one of four classes which each start with a unique skill, such as a freeze or poison attack, but as you level up you'll be able to acquire the other classes' abilities too. Everything about the game screams roguelike other than the real-time movement of monsters, but the factor of permanent death is making me consider this nothing but a game in the challenging RPG sub-genre.

That's right, when you die in Epic Dungeon, you're dead for good. You can't turn this off (to my knowledge), and maybe I'm a masochist because I didn't want to. You'll just have to live with the fact that a poor decision will make you start over, though a chest with one single item collected in a previous game will be available on a replay.

Players don't just run around slashing spiders and witches, you'll also encounter spots that feature "quests." These quests are basically multiple choice decisions that lead to various outcomes, but they're very well done and sometimes hilarious. For example, in one quest I cut off my toe for a witch that was creating a brew, reducing my stats but earning me two valuable potions. I could have offered her my hair instead, but the toe wasn't that important to me.

As I was enchanting my equipment and hoping to save up enough money to buy a new amulet or weapon at the goblin shop, I remembered that I only paid a single dollar for Epic Dungeon and was amazed. Say what you want about Microsoft, but it's really created a great portal in Xbox Live Indie Games that allows anyone to jump in and develop a quality game that can be released to the world. Sadly, many Xbox Live Indie Games are total pieces of garbage, but it's looking like if you stick to the titles featured in the Winter Uprising, and other highly rated titles, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

I'm personally looking forward to Zeboyd Games' retro RPG followup to here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100228-Rise-From-Your-Grave-With-1-Xbox-Live-Indie-RPG].

[vimeo=17314563]

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Since they are traditionally FREE, $1 seems too much to pay for a Rogue-like. And don't they all play auto-hardcore mode? Nethack does, at least.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I like how they rag on clones, then half of them were space invaders clones, and the other half looked like at least one other title in the package...except for the JRPG and dungeon crawl.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll buy it at some point.

Now, if you'll excuse me...

*goes to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon*

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I really wish the PSN had a better indie support, or at least facilitated porting. I shall need to commandeer my friends XBLA so that I might get to play this.

Jul 22, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Since they are traditionally FREE, $1 seems too much to pay for a Rogue-like.
You know that about 60% of that $1 goes to the developer?

Guess how much the developer would get if the game was free.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
GamesB2 said:
SaintWaldo said:

Guess how much the developers of every other Roguelike got, since they were open source and (as pointed out in my original post) FREE?

Jul 22, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Guess how much the developers of every other Roguelike got, since they were open source and (as pointed out in my original post) FREE?
The same amount every other free developer gets?

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Hell, doesn't look half bad! I'm definitely getting the Cthulhu Saves the World. As for the others I'll have to try them first, but the Hypership game looks like a lot of fun.

Edit: Oh and I can't help but feel that Eddie Rickenbacker fighting aliens is several kinds of awesome!

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
for a buck, I'll definitely be picking that up. I got Breath of Death VII and I made a game (can't be assed to ascii it), so I'll definitely be picking this up as it seems really deep for a dollar game.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I bought and loved Breath of Death VII so much, in fact I liked it better then most professional XBLA games. So I'm definitely picking up Cthulhu Saves the World, because it looks like it improves and builds off of the already solid foundation of Breath of Death VII.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
GamesB2 said:
SaintWaldo said:

You mean like these?

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/games/rating/alltime/rpg/free/roguelike/

You have to understand these people are making money because they pay for advertising.

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
Death in Epic Dungeon is permanent, but the cool thing about it is that when you start a new game, you find a tombstone from your dead character on it on the same floor around the same location you died and you pick up one of the items your character had on it. (I thought it was a nice touch)

I'm waiting for Cthulhu Saves the World personally. D:

dillinger88

Jan 6, 2010
All these games are 80MSP? Sounds pretty good.

I may have to watch it again more closely though as all I could think was "Ding! Fries are done" with that music.

EDIT: It seems what has been heard cannot be unheard.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Sad fact: You can get a better, much more detailed rogue like for free on a PC that costs 50$.
But still, console roguelikes are hard to find so this MAY intrigue some people.