5-Year-Old Civ IV Gets Gaming's First Grammy Nod

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
5-Year-Old Civ IV Gets Gaming's First Grammy Nod

For the first time ever, a videogame has been nominated for a Grammy award. Too bad it came out in 2005.

It's becoming harder and harder to deny the place that videogames have in mainstream culture. A song composed for a game has been nominated for a Grammy award - and I don't mean for a new "best videogame song" category, either.

Christopher Tin's "Baba Yetu" - seen here to the right - made the short list for the category "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists." It may be a bit specific, but hey, it's still a Grammy award. Tin composed the song for Firaxis' Civilization series, and it was performed by the rather talented Soweto Gospel Choir.

Here's the weird bit, though: Tin didn't write "Baba Yetu" for the excellent Civilization V. It was composed for Civilization IV, which came out five years ago in 2005. I thought the purpose of the Grammy awards was to recognize the top songs of the year?

The popularity of "Baba Yetu" has extended beyond gaming, reports Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31841/Grammys_Nominates_First_Video_Game_Theme_Civ_IV_Music.php], with thousands of professional choirs inserting it into their repertoire - and that doesn't just mean game-themed performances like Video Games Live, either. It's possible that the Grammy folks only just now got around to nominating this song because this was the first they'd ever heard it.

But it still feels weird to have a song nominated for an award half a decade after it was first released, don't you think?

Update: I have been informed that the Grammy nod is specifically for the Video Games Live arrangement of the song [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_EWzmvI8E] - which did, in fact, come out this year. That answers that, then. (Thanks, JonahNYC!)

(Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31841/Grammys_Nominates_First_Video_Game_Theme_Civ_IV_Music.php?])

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Baba yetu yetu uliye mbingbube yetu yetu Amina!
You see, this is what Christians feel all the time. Swahili is a great language for it!
While the song is a bit old, I think it does deserve recognition

Apr 28, 2008
Am I the only one who was kind of hoping the fan-made one would get in?

Ah well, this is still great news either way.

IAmTheVoid

Apr 26, 2009
Baba Yetu never ceases to make me happy when I boot up Civ IV. It may be a bit late, but hey- it doesn't matter, it'll be a great achievement if it wins.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The only thing I can think of is if they're taking into consideration some kind of new recording of the song for Civ V. If not it is still a great achievement.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
You see, this is what Christians feel all the time.
really? I thought that was guilt

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I love this song, and the live version [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_EWzmvI8E] on the Video Games Live blu-ray is even better.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I haven't actually played any Civilization game, mainly because I hear it's turn-based which I'm not a fan of.

But still, this is great for the Video Game industry. We're getting further and further into the accepted mainstream media (and not just news reports of hardcore sex scenes that actually doesn't exist in the game.).

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Worgen said:
The Cheezy One said:
Wow, Christian-flaming on the tenth post? That's impressive, Mr. Troll. Thanks for adding so much to the discussion on this thread, you've really enlightened us with your off topic prejudice.

OT: Fantastic song. I've never been a fan of the Civ. franchise, but this song deserves recognition.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Worgen said:
The Cheezy One said:
Wow, Christian-flaming on the tenth post? That's impressive, Mr. Troll. Thanks for adding so much to the discussion on this thread, you've really enlightened us with your off topic prejudice.

OT: Fantastic song. I've never been a fan of the Civ. franchise, but this song deserves recognition.
float like a butter fly, sting like a bee. if I really wanted to flame there are many other options, this was more of just some ribbing for bringing it up

Norikue

Jan 27, 2010
I found it odd that a 5 year old song was nominated also. So I did a little digging. It's on a CD release by Christopher Tin, called Calling All Dawns. The CD came out in Oct. 2009, which is approx around the Grammy nomination cut off date.

I'm happy to see it nominated myself. I hope they preform it, but doubt that it will be aired. It's not a radio pop song for the masses. :(

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
Long before this... probably the day I unwrapped my Civ IV box and heard this song, I considered this to be the greatest musical piece in gaming history.
All these years later, nothing has changed. This is, without a doubt, in my opinion, the greatest music ever to appear in a video game.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Truly amazing song, thanks for introducing me to it! I checked out its competition, and if this doesn't win, I'll cry prejudice! But yeah, it's a shame that it took so long, but it's probably cuz the CD recently came out. Oh, and I've never played any civ game. Not cuz I don't think I'll like them, but cuz I think I'll like them too much and never stop!
I'm willing to say this is the best video game music of all time, can someone please prove me wrong?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not shocked it took Hollywood 5 years to catch on to a great thing ... They are far too convinced they make every great thing every to be made.