Capcom Puts Mystery Puzzler Ghost Trick Online

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Puts Mystery Puzzler Ghost Trick Online

Capcom's Ghost Trick now has an online demo, so everyone can know what it's like to possess a bicycle horn.

online demo [http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Trick-Phantom-Detective-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002TDIEDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291567135&sr=8-1] put up by Nintendo.

Ghost Trick is an adventure-puzzler that feels like a cross between Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton [http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Layton-Unwound-Future-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003O6E7DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1291567422&sr=1-1], but it also throws in a dark, noir-ish theme just for style. You play as a dead guy's spirit that is trying to find out why he was murdered and by whom. Luckily, spirits have all sorts of wonderful powers in Ghost Trick.

The demo has players possessing various inanimate object in an attempt to save a girl that's about to be killed by a nearsighted assassin with a golden shotgun. Once you're in an object, you can perform a "trick." When you're in a guitar, this means you strum a few bars. When you're in a ladder, you can unfold it to move across the level.

Through these sorts of possessions, you have to try to change the fate of various people such as this girl that are going to be killed, just like you were. When inhabiting a dead body, spirits can thankfully rewind time to four minutes before the body died, which allows you to save people that have already been killed. Once you save the girl, the demo is over.

The demo, found here [http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/nds/ghost_trick_phantom_detective_18194.html], is rather simple, but it gives you a good idea of how the game works and shows off its smooth animation and humorous dialog. The main character's hair might be a giant spike of obnoxious, but I think it'll be worth it to solve his murder anyway. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective will be released for the Nintendo DS in North America on January 11, 2011.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Played this a few days ago. I can't believe how soon it's out! I need to pre-order on Amazon ASAP.

C'mon paycheck. C'mon paycheck! Get in the bank!

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Hehehe...that's really fun!

I don't have a DS but this demo works well on a PC...weird :p

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Aside from the constant annoying sound effects (the DING!s, BOOP!s, TWING!s and such), the gameplay was pretty cool, and with enough variety in methods for a successful completion, this could be a worthwhile game to invest in. (If you're stuck trying to find the magic combination that the devs plotted as the only solution, each and every time, I'd rather let the title slip into total obscurity.)

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
Wow that was great. It was a little jarring when it broke the fourth wall, but otherwise the charm and unique setup makes it a must play in my book.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
SangRahl said:
Aside from the constant annoying sound effects (the DING!s, BOOP!s, TWING!s and such), the gameplay was pretty cool, and with enough variety in methods for a successful completion, this could be a worthwhile game to invest in. (If you're stuck trying to find the magic combination that the devs plotted as the only solution, each and every time, I'd rather let the title slip into total obscurity.)
Yeah, I'd agree. The game does look like a lot of fun, but it'll really grate on me if solutions are too obvious, obscure and/or unvaried.

gregitaly said:
Wow that was great. It was a little jarring when it broke the fourth wall, but otherwise the charm and unique setup makes it a must play in my book.
Yeah, that threw me for a loop as well. Also, "Gee, I sure hope this giant wrecking ball doesn't land on me" was also slightly distracting.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Most innovative Point & Click I've ever played! I hate Point & Click, but I really like this!

The animation is fluid with the rotoscope they did, the style is neat and fine. The storyline is gripping.

The thing that bothers me is that some things don't make sense. How can a lamp talk? Who is posessing it? Why does it matter to change fate? Does this game have multiple story arcs?

And why is she so upbeat even though she is dead. She isn't startled, sad or anything!

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Want. Want want want want want want. I knew that it was going to be awesome coming from the studio that made phoneix wright but I the humor in this is perfect, just like I wanted. This makes me want to buy a DSi so I can see it in all it's glory!

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I was interested in this beforehand, so I'm very glad the demo was so enjoyable. Definitely on my list.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Oh yeah. Also. Kinda lame Hitman. The guarantee that he will hit the mark 100% of the time, as long as it's at point blank range is not a good boast.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for making me really want this game that I've never heard of. I got a kick out of the breaking of the fourth wall (which no doubt will not be in the retail version) and it was a good intro to the game. Can't wait for this!