The Best Iphone Games

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Best Iphone Games

Yahtzee refuses to correctly spell it, but these Iphone games are his favorite.

Read Full Article

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Please be done with the iPhone stuff Yahtzee. I don't own any Apple device but I understand that this had to be done and agree that it was a good idea, but I really hope you abandon this topic and get back to the mainstream.

deora2dude

Mar 24, 2009
iphones just dont make sense to me. they're just way to expensive for the privilage of mucking up your cheeck with pocket sweat. and as a guy who spends more time airborne on things like bikes, snowboards and other verieties of oversized everyday objects, they're also very fragile. which is why i prefer the ipod video from years past.

and they should have named the ipod touch the "i-hahayou'repoor"

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I don't have an Iphone, but I appreciate giving credit to some indie developers that have made good games.

I agree that the Iphone, XBLA and Steam are very necessary for the development of video games. It's not like writers learn their craft by always writing full length novels or assisting in the writing of encyclopedias. Programmers have been able to create short games for a while now, I just don't think there was an easy way to get paid for it. Hopefully we're making progress towards becoming a fully respected medium. Even comic books are starting to become respected thanks to the graphic novel.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Age of Zombies is better on PSP in my opinion, even with the trouble of using the action buttons as the right stick. But you're right in that it's a really fun game worth looking at, I found it genuinely funny as well.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I have Stair Dismount and I agree its a pretty fun game to waste time, and I do put faces on the dummies.

I'll be sure to check out the other games later.

tadaaaaa

Nov 20, 2009
I still find it bizarre you find no flaws in these games. Are you okay, Ben? I want you to give the iStatusSymbol the same sort of flak you give every other console.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The ipod touch can do everything the iphone can, even make calls over wifi. And with the addition of the new screen that is 326dpi, it is hands down the best current media device there is, I still am an Archos fan-boy, and have hopes for future devices, but I bought an apple.

I don't understand all the hostility for the platform, just because the iPhone is an over-priced, over-advertised device doesn't mean the OS Platform is bad. I've never seen an iPod red-ring, and every brick I've seen was caused by a botched jail-break and was fixed via a restore.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Wooo Stair Dismount yeah!

I used to play that on my laptop... it's still strangely fun.

Electrogecko said:
Please be done with the iPhone stuff Yahtzee. I don't own any Apple device but I understand that this had to be done and agree that it was a good idea, but I really hope you abandon this topic and get back to the mainstream.
He always writes Extra Credits on some topic that he referred to in his video. It'll be finished next week.

I quite like having this variation in the series though.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Rocketcat have another, similar game called Super Quick Hook
Why name your game Super Quick Hook (which just sounds odd, like those games with titles translated from Japanese) when the company name sounds like it would be an awesome game.

I want to play a game called Rocket Cat.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Fronzel said:
While I refuse to spell Iphone with a small I and a capital P like you're supposed to...
As gaming continues its long struggle for acceptance alongside other mainstream entertainment, iPhone games, as well as...
...iPhone games...
Damn, I was hoping that I was going to be the first pedantic bastard to point that out :p

OT: I don't have an iPhone, though in hindsight I should have got one on my last contract instead of a BlackBerry Bold. Piece of shit keeps finding new and inventive ways to be a ****.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I keep getting told I should make iPhone games (like the horde of other developers,) but it is rather difficult to build for an item you don't possess.

Still, seeing some of these titles is rather heartening.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
I keep getting told I should make iPhone games (like the horde of other developers,) but it is rather difficult to build for an item you don't possess.

Still, seeing some of these titles is rather heartening.
It is remarkably easy, gamemaker can do it if you don't want to code, and if you know how to program the SDK and XCode tools dev kit are easy, with decent help files, but you need a Mac running 10.6, or a hackintosh running 10.6

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
One of my personal favorites is Texting of the Bread by Screwattack. Basically, it's an homage to Typing of the Dead on the Dreamcast. Only the zombies are made of gingerbread and you shoot them with milk.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Electrogecko said:
And what, in your mind, constitutes mainstream?

Wikipedia asserts that Apple have sold over 73 million iPhones. (This figure apparently does not include iPod Touches.) Microsoft has sold 44.6 million Xbox 360s, and has taken almost twice as long to do it. Now, kindly consider that Android-based smartphones are starting to overtake iPhone.

You may need to re-evaluate your definition of, "Mainstream."

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
newwiseman said:
It is remarkably easy, gamemaker can do it if you don't want to code, and if you know how to program the SDK and XCode tools dev kit are easy, with decent help files, but you need a Mac running 10.6, or a hackintosh running 10.6
Testing, not building.