Microsoft Unveils the Zune HD

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Unveils the Zune HD

Xbox Live [http://www.microsoft.com] in the fall.

The Zune HD includes a built-in HD Radio [http://www.hdradio.com/] receiver, offering listeners access to higher-quality sound than conventional radio and additional information like song and artist data without the need for a monthly service subscription, as well an an HD-compatible output that will let users play supported high-definition video files in 720p to an HDTV through an optional HDMI docking station. The device is Wifi-enabled and comes with a full-screen internet browser optimized for "multitouch functionality" on the Zune's bright, 480x272 widescreen OLED touchscreen display.

Zune is also being integrated with Microsoft's Xbox Live Video Marketplace, giving users full access to the service's "exciting catalog of TV and film." The company has promised that at the upcoming E3 [http://www.e3expo.com/], "attendees will see firsthand how Zune integrates into Xbox Live to create a game-changing entertainment experience."

"The Zune music player is an integral part of the overall Zune experience, and we're proud to be growing and extending our offering beyond the device," said Microsoft's Enrique Rodriguez. "This news marks a turning point for Zune as it brings cross-platform experiences and premium video content to living rooms around the world."

The Zune HD will also feature goodies like a built-in accelerometer and a touch-screen QWERTY keyboard, but specifics on things like storage capacity, CPU and pricing will have to wait until Microsoft's E3 announcement. Until then, more information - although not much more - and a sign-up link for news updates are available at Microsoft's new Zune HD website [http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm].

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Does it sound cool: Yes
Will it even slightly dent Apple's market share?: No
Zune will never be as popular as the Ipod or the Iphone and Microsoft might as well give up. It's a shame since I think Zune COULD have been effective had it been marked better in the beginning.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I may be the only person to think this but "HD radio". All I listen to is radio 4 and I don't think you need to hear Woman's Hour in HD.... I've said too much *runs away*.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Bibliomancer said:
Does it sound cool: Yes
Will it even slightly dent Apple's market share?: No
Zune will never be as popular as the Ipod or the Iphone and Microsoft might as well give up. It's a shame since I think Zune COULD have been effective had it been marked better in the beginning.
It wasn't the marketing as much as it was the lack of features. When Zune first came out it was pricey as hell, with not much to justify that price but potential. It was, in essence, an expensive MP3 player with a built in radio. Not hard to understand why it wasn't a smashing success, and I'm saying that as someone who's had one since launch and loves it.

Microsoft has been glacially slow to tap into the possibilities the Zune offers. This won't threaten Apple's dominance a bit, no, but this does look like it may be a worthy alternative.

Ramar

May 27, 2009
As a Zune owner since almost day 1, I really think the series has potential. For me, a big thing is durability; find me a single hard drive ipod that can survive t-boning another car at 50 mph. Microsoft is the worst about delivering the product they promise on time, but they do always deliver it eventually. Maybe they'll never take over market share because the majority of people find apple more alluring, but I honestly don't know anyone with an ipod instead of a zune.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Malygris said:
Zune article
What? The whole article and not a single giggly reference to the Zune's current position in the market or atleast the respect it has among the public?

Respect.

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
*walks in with his H3 Zune*

Besides the fact my thumbs will take up about half the damn screen and make the device unusuable...sure why not? It's not like there are other things to do besides copy the White Apple.

*fast forward a year*

So this Zune HD is pretty awesome...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
You know what it looks like? It looks like an iPho...
STOP RIGHT THERE.

If this thing has batteries that I can replace on my own, and features a few other improvements, it could easily surpass the Iphone, regardless of the fact that it looks to have totally stolen the idea behind it.

Do I care about the Zune at all? No. I'm just saying that you shouldn't make assumptions. It could be better for all we know...

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
scotth266 said:
HobbesMkii said:
You know what it looks like? It looks like an iPho...
STOP RIGHT THERE.

If this thing has batteries that I can replace on my own, and features a few other improvements, it could easily surpass the Iphone, regardless of the fact that it looks to have totally stolen the idea behind it.

Do I care about the Zune at all? No. I'm just saying that you shouldn't make assumptions. It could be better for all we know...
I see what you did there. Also replaceable batteries? Unlikely.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Shamanic Enzan said:
I don't see the issue with it: my cellphone has a replacable battery. So why can't Apple products? And why wouldn't this Zune have replacable batteries?

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
scotth266 said:
Shamanic Enzan said:
I don't see the issue with it: my cellphone has a replacable battery. So why can't Apple products? And why wouldn't this Zune have replacable batteries?
Oh it makes sense, that's why it won't happen.