Man Creates Working Star Trek Door

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Man Creates Working Star Trek Door

A man built a door in his house that opens just like the doors of the U.S.S. Enterprise, complete with that *woosh* sound.

The doors of the U.S.S. Enterprise appear to open automatically and send a jet of air that results in a *shh shh* sound. Of course, each time a door opened on the set of any Star Trek show or movie, a crewman needed to open the door manually and the signature sound effect was added later. An enterprising (heh) DIY engineer from Miami accomplished the task that Scottie couldn't by installing a door in his house that not only slides open like a real Star Trek door, but the compressed air that it uses exhausts out of a vent and provides that awesome real sound. Mark posted pictures and described how he created the door to his bedroom on his blog [http://uiproductions.blogspot.com/2010/12/star-trek-door.html], but you have to watch the video to see it work.

"I always wanted a piece of Star Trek and the Disney Monorail in my house, and one thing they have in common is that they both have automatic sliding doors," Mark wrote. "It would be the perfect, most geek-ified entryway for my bedroom. Only one problem: I was still in school and still lived at home with my mother in New Orleans. I had tried to convince her for years that installing a Star Trek Door would be a good idea, but it never happened. It wasn't until we were renovating our house after Hurricane Katrina that she finally caved in. There wouldn't be a better time to do it."

I salute you Mark, not only for the technical chops that it took to make this door work, but also for making the sound a huge part of how it functioned.

Source: UI Productions [http://uiproductions.blogspot.com/2010/12/star-trek-door.html]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I was hoping for a bigger and more metal-y door. But this is still pretty cool.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Daemascus said:
He needs a motion sensor for it, but cool none the less.
i was hoping it would have one. would have been ultra-awesome if it did but as it is, it's regular awesome. i want one!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Awesome. Now I want to make one. Stupid dorm not being mine... *sulks*

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Only one problem: I was still in school and still lived at home with my mother in New Orleans.
That's a common problem for people who want Star Trek doors in their house XD

I'm so jealous.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
All he needs to do now is make his room look like the bridge from Star Trek and his room will be the epitome of awesome.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
It's funny because they used to open and close the door by hand on the show...<.<

V161

Dec 8, 2009
All that, and he thought of nicely incorporating it nicely into his home without it screaming geek to the untrained eye, or ear for that matter. Well done sir!

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
Digikid said:
Interesting but that is not even CLOSE to Trek doors.
indeed, there's no dudes behind there pulling the door open and then artificially added WHOOSH afterwards. -_-;

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
There are to many nerds in the world with to much time on their hands // Not that it's a bad thing as I am one of those nerds

-M

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
This seems more primitive to me than 99% of all automatic doors I've ever seen. BUT OMFG IT WHOOSHES!!!

That control panel is extremely well hidden.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Halley M said:
Digikid said:
Interesting but that is not even CLOSE to Trek doors.
indeed, there's no dudes behind there pulling the door open and then artificially added WHOOSH afterwards. -_-;
You are entirely missing the point. What I said before was true. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. TREK. DOORS.

First off you did not need to press a button....or a key even.
Secondly they were NEVER that LOUD
Thirdly they had sensors that stopped it from closing on you

You want trek style doors? The ones at the supermarket are 100x more Trek doors than this is....and better made.