First Music from Videogames Nominated for Grammys

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
First Music from Videogames Nominated for Grammys

Music composed specifically for use in a videogame has never been recognized for a Grammy, but this year two videogame songs were nominated.

The Grammy Awards are given out every year by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. For those of you who might not follow American Pop Culture, the Grammys are like the Oscars or the BAFTA awards, but for music. There are what seems like thousands of categories, from Best Rock Or Rap Gospel Album to Best Spoken Word Album For Children but, for some reason, videogame music has never been including. This year, game music still doesn't have its own category, but two songs that were made for games have been honored with a nomination. First, as previously reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105833-5-Year-Old-Civ-IV-Gets-Gamings-First-Grammy-Nod], Baba Yetu was written by Christopher Tin for the splash screen for Civilization IV and it is nominated for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. Also nominated is Megadeth's Sudden Death, which was written by Dave Mustane to appear in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

The song Baba Yetu was recorded again as part of Tin's Calling All Dawns album, also nominated for Best Classical Crossover Album. Baba Yetu features sweeping themes and a wonderful vocalist singing the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.

"Working on Sid Meier's Civilization IV was a thrill for me - not only because it was a game that I grew up playing obsessively, but because it was my first-ever videogame job," said Tin. "Firaxis gave me the time, space, and means to create something unique and special - you can't ask for better creative conditions as a composer. I look forward to working with them again and again, from now until the end of... well, civilization."

Unfortunately, Dave Mustane could not be reached for comment, but I'm sure he's thrilled that the song he wrote for Warriors of Rock might get him some recognition as it's nominated for Best Metal Performance. Megadeth's track record at the Grammys hasn't been very good; the band has been nominated 8 times but has never never been selected to win. Here's hoping that nine times is the charm.

Another nominee of note is the Cee-Lo song Fuck You for Record of the Year. The song has a pretty apt videogame reference in the lyrics, which may have spawned this 8 bit remake [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103923-8-Bit-Parody-of-Cee-Los-F-k-You-Has-Got-Soul]. Sadly, the 8-bit version was not nominated.

The Grammy Awards will be announced on February 13th.

Source: Grammy.com [http://www.grammy.com/nominees]

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I still have the opening music of Civ 4 stuck in my head. Bloody awesome, even if it the *shudders* Lord's Prayer...

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Fucking love Baba Yetu.

If it wasn't for my nostalgia for Morrowind's intro music, it would be my favourite video game track ever.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Frankly, Alexander Brandon's music should be rewarded a hundred times more... ( he made Deus Ex music, Jazz Jackrabbit 1&2 musics, and Unreal Tournament 1 musics )

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I think Jack Wall deserves a nomination for his work on ME2, specifically the main title theme "Suicide Mission." So epic.

Er, but this is a step in the right direction for video games as a medium, to be recognized by something as big as the Grammy's. I'll take that at least

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Well the fact that the music is barely different from the kinds of music that would usually appear makes this slightly less awesome than it otherwise would be, but still, this is pretty great. Next to get some real recognition for Nobou Uematsu or Martin O'Donnel...

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The Civ4 opening was epic, but why is it being nominated now? Didn't that come out four years ago?

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Dr Megadeth said:
Sort your tags out, it's spelt Megadeth. :mad:
Yeah, and the guy's last name is spelled Mustaine. With an "I". Geez, Escapist, you've been slipping a lot lately.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
... Why do we care about the Grammy's again?

Seriously, aren't they famous for snubbing artists for XYZ reason?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Not surprised by Baba Yetu's nomination, but Sudden Death? I don't know, that just seems odd to me...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Unless I see Castle Crashers music, I will continuously be disappointed.

On an unrelated note, *waves Gorillaz flag.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
The same year as Craig Ferguson gets nominated? Wow, the grammies got cool all of a sudden.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Kind of off topic, but when you first fired up Civ IV to hear it open with Babu Yetu, followed by a long narration from Leonard Nimroy... in comparisson it's no wonder Civ V seems a little lacking in heart and a bit underwhelming.

Pretty cool that it's getting nominated, even if it's years after it's initial creation and in a non-video game format.

Gigathrash

Apr 28, 2010
I swear that this isn't the first video game music to be nominated for something like this. I can't find it anywhere what so ever though... I can't even remember what game it was either. Oh well, someone pm me if you know what I'm talking about. I know it was a game in the generation of the SNES, but I can't remember...