Zynga Scores Its Biggest Hit Yet With CityVille

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zynga Scores Its Biggest Hit Yet With CityVille

It looks like Zynga has another hit on its hands with CityVille [http://www.cityville.com], which debuted on Facebook last week and quickly became the studio's best social game launch ever.

I suppose it's bad news for anyone hoping that the air might be out of the FrontierVille [http://www.zynga.com]. That game drew 116,000 players on its first day; CityVille pulled in a whopping 290,000.

After a week of play, more than 2.7 million CityVille homes have been built, along with 500,000 bakeries and five million sections of road. It's tricky to nail down what exactly that means after only a week of operation but it sure sounds impressive; possibly even more important, however, is that 25 percent of players are interacting with their friends games as well.

FarmVille [http://www.appdata.com/] dog, which is rocking more than 54 million monthly active users, or FrontierVille, with over 30 million, but given the pattern of growth Zynga's previous Ville games have experienced, it's an awfully good start.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2010/12/06/zynga-has-its-best-launch-ever-with-cityville/]

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
But. How can a city also be a ville? It's like having an Ocean-sea (unless it's an estuary).
More than those numbers that name baffles me.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I already have quite a few friends on Facebook that play Cityville. From the sounds of it, it does look like a pretty in-depth game, though I have yet to check it out myself. Maybe someday soon ^~^.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MasterSplinter said:
But. How can a city also be a ville? It's like having an Ocean-sea (unless it's an estuary).
More than those numbers that name baffles me.
"Warhammer. It's like saying dinner food."

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
With absolutely no experience with any other zynga game at all, i decided to take this on.

Following the "quests" so to speak, my city was quickly bankrupt and my mayor was too feeble to even go door to door to collect taxes. Also all my businesses are sold out of everything. Go us.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
So it's kind of like SimTown for Facebook? I used to love playing SimTown back in my elementary school days, so I guess I could get into this. I probably won't though. I'm just not on FB often enough.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Isn't this just a complete and shameless rip off of sims city?
I haven't played it but from what I hear about all their other apps being rip offs of actual games then this one also being a copy is very likely.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Veloxe said:
More or less.

Sim City! Facebook edition.
ragestreet said:
I haven't played it but from what I hear about all their other apps being rip offs of actual games then this one also being a copy is very likely.
Oh Zynga, when will you ever do something that is your own legal idea?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I'm calling it first, the next one is "Spaceville". TAKING ALL BETS!

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
I'm playing it, since i litterly have nothing better to do, my city is called 'horrible painful death' compleat with a Rat Bakery and Ebola Coffee.

Apperntly my citizens are happy

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
The Rockerfly said:
It is made by Zynga what do you expect?
When they stop selling user info, and rip off other games, that is when I would be suprised.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Baldry said:
What about PirateVille, has that been made yet?

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Exort said:
The Rockerfly said:
It is made by Zynga what do you expect?
When they stop selling user info, and rip off other games, that is when I would be suprised.
All games copy similar ideas from one another. It is part of the gaming industry itself. Zynga never sold anyone's information. There was a data leak on Facebook that affected "ALL APPLICATIONS", with the exception of LOLApps which intentionally sold the information. It's well documented, even here on The Escapist.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
NLS said:
Baldry said:
What about PirateVille, has that been made yet?
I think so, there is a game based around buried treasure so that'll probably the most we can expect on that department.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I actually think Zynga planned this all out in advance to release a new -ville game everytime the last one starts to lose players.