UPDATED - RIFT Online Community Event Now Giving Out Beta Tokens

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
RIFT Online Community Event Now Giving Out Beta Tokens

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/RIFT1]

We have 5000 beta tokens to give away that could warp you into a weekend beta event for the upcoming MMO, RIFT?. Oh yeah, and you can win an uber gaming laptop from Origin PC or the GeForce GTX 460 video card from Nvidia!

RIFT is the complete MMO experience you've been waiting for! Dynamic conflict and a revolutionary class system await you in this world besieged by the elemental planes. We have 5000 tokens to give away, each having a chance to get into the upcoming weekend beta event. We also have 250 VIP keys that will grant you access to every RIFT beta event. And because we want to let Trion and everyone else to know who is the best community around, we are ready and waiting with a The Escapist guild in-game.

To sweeten the pot, there is a 17" Gaming Laptop from Origin PC on the line for US participants. As if that wasn't enough, Trion is also holding a Beta Challenge with a chance to win the Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 video card.

Please note, these tokens are a chance to be asked to join the weekend beta event. While you can be any age and live anywhere just to log in and be part of the fun, you must be at least 18 years of age and a resident of the US to be eligible to win the Laptop. Trion has their own list of rules for their Beta Challenge, which can be found here [http://www.riftgame.com/en/beta/rules.php].

Become a Guardian, join The Escapist guild and let us save Terala! Click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/RIFT1] to visit the main contest page and get your key.

UPDATE - 12/16 - Weekend Event thread is now up in Gaming Discussion: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.251294-RIFT-Community-Event-Details-for-the-Weekend

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Crossborder said:
Cool. I'm gonna try this and see if it changes my minds about MMO's.
We think you will enjoy it. [user]Kuliani[/user] and I have been playing it and it's really quite fun. Good luck getting one of the keys and remember to head over to their Facebook page for a chance at one of the VIP keys.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
God damn it, I wish I was 18 already. Not being able to participate in these contests is really annoying and I want that laptop. Oh well, here's hoping I get a key.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I would love to enter your contest, I think it's great. However as a Canadian Resident I'm not able to. It'd be great if you had more contests that didn't make it impossible for Canadians to enter or maybe some contests that only Canadians could enter ;)

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Harbinger_ said:
I would love to enter your contest, I think it's great. However as a Canadian Resident I'm not able to. It'd be great if you had more contests that didn't make it impossible for Canadians to enter or maybe some contests that only Canadians could enter ;)
Yeah, we always try, it just depends on where our partners can ship or who they are trying to focus on.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well I just got a GTX 460 literally today and I can say that they're quite good. I would love another one, but I'm too far away :(

Why don't we hold out own contest and allow anyone to win apart from the USA. Speaking of which there is a community Photoshop contest on the go for the month of December with fabulous prizes to be won, and you don't have to be living in the US.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
maddog015 said:
Where do I post with my escapist username? Right on their facebook wall?
Yup. If you want to see it after you've posted, you probably have to click the "filter" link under the text box.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
thenumberthirteen said:
Well I just got a GTX 460 literally today and I can say that they're quite good. I would love another one, but I'm too far away :(

Why don't we hold out own contest and allow anyone to win apart from the USA. Speaking of which there is a community Photoshop contest on the go for the month of December with fabulous prizes to be won, and you don't have to be living in the US.
International shipping is a bear in general and there are a ton of potential problems when shipping something like a computer. Even when we shipped out ZP T-shirts a handful of people didn't get them because they were lost in transit or stopped before coming into the country. Plus, on a item like a computer, I can't even imagine the tax someone would have to pay shipping outside of the US just to receive it.

These are only some of the problems you can run in to.

On a separate note, we are a also a US based company so we usually receive more partnership with companies that want to attract the US consumer. This doesn't stop us however for always mentioning international prizing. :)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
thenumberthirteen said:

International shipping is a bear in general and there are a ton of potential problems when shipping something like a computer. Even when we shipped out ZP T-shirts a handful of people didn't get them because they were lost in transit or stopped before coming into the country. Plus, on a item like a computer, I can't even imagine the tax someone would have to pay shipping outside of the US just to receive it.

These are only some of the problems you can run in to.

On a separate note, we are a also a US based company so we usually receive more partnership with companies that want to attract the US consumer. This doesn't stop us however for always mentioning international prizing. :)
I know. I still love 'ya :)

I ran a contest and trying to send even digital prizes internationally was a massive pain in the backside.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
maddog015 said:
Dunno, i'd never used facebook before then so i have no idea wtf, but people are sticking them under the comments the actual page owner is posting, so i just put one there.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Zaik said:
maddog015 said:
Dunno, i'd never used facebook before then so i have no idea wtf, but people are sticking them under the comments the actual page owner is posting, so i just put one there.
That works too. I'll find them.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Fumbleumble said:
More bullshit contests run by The Escapist for US only.

You know what escapist... you do this far too often, you a beginning to piss me off... If you're not even going to include most of the world in most of your promotions why do we bother coming here?

If Yatzee ever left your site it would only be Americans who came here.... most of the rest of us don't come here for the rest of your pretty crummy content.
Try reading the post above your rant. It explains why.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Fumbleumble said:
Spinwhiz said:
Fumbleumble said:

You know what escapist... you do this far too often, you a beginning to piss me off... If you're not even going to include most of the world in most of your promotions why do we bother coming here?

If Yatzee ever left your site it would only be Americans who came here.... most of the rest of us don't come here for the rest of your pretty crummy content.

A rant it may be... doesn't alter then fact that it's perfectly true and relevent.

You're a big site and you get in enough money.. if you actually WANTED to include people not living in America you would make the effort, others manage it without isolating and alienating their readership.

Is that what you are aiming for?... A completely American readership?
You are making assumptions for our site and others. Please re-read my earlier post in this thread.

Azlinn

Dec 9, 2010
After recieveng my code, When I endter it in I am told it could not be applied... Did I do something wrong?

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Azlinn said:
After recieveng my code, When I endter it in I am told it could not be applied... Did I do something wrong?
Did you create an account first in RIFT?

Azlinn

Dec 9, 2010
Spinwhiz said:
Azlinn said:
Yes, I already had one. Is that what NOT to do?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Fumbleumble said:
Spinwhiz said:
Fumbleumble said:

A rant it may be... doesn't alter then fact that it's perfectly true and relevent.

You're a big site and you get in enough money.. if you actually WANTED to include people not living in America you would make the effort, others manage it without isolating and alienating their readership.

Is that what you are aiming for?... A completely American readership?
You are making assumptions for our site and others. Please re-read my earlier post in this thread.
You forgot to mention the incredible legal hassle. Any company wanting to give something away in, say, France, has to have all contest materials translated, offer a postal address in the country to which individuals can write for entry, have a toll-free phone number staffed by a fluent speaker, and reimburse any fees the individual may incur while entering the contest, in local currency.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Azlinn said:
Spinwhiz said:
Azlinn said:
Yes, I already had one. Is that what NOT to do?
If you already have one, I am 99% sure that your key can be chosen again. I'll double check with Trion today and let you know. That would be why the key isn't working.