U.K. Scientist Working on Real-Life Sonic Screwdriver

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
U.K. Scientist Working on Real-Life Sonic Screwdriver

Have you always hoped and dreamed of owning a Sonic Screwdriver? Well, it's not going to happen anytime soon, but you might get to have one eventually.

If you've ever watched a single episode of Doctor Who, you've seen The Doctor bust out his Sonic Screwdriver to do ... well, just about anything really. Fans of the show will probably be excited to learn that a British university professor is working to (eventually) make the device a reality.

For the moment, Bruce Drinkwater (a professor of ultrasonics at Bristol University), is working to prove that the concept of a Sonic Screwdriver is at least possible. Drinkwater wants to build on pre-existing research that uses ultrasonic waves to move small objects and separate diseased cells from healthy ones.

The theory is that ultrasound could be used to simulate the mechanics of a real screwdriver. A rotating forcefield could perform the function of a head, while spinning ultrasonic waves at high speed could create a tornado-like force to turn the screws.

I've got a pretty limited science background, but it sounds like this is pretty plausible. Drinkwater is apparently hoping the Doctor Who connection will get kids to become more interested in science and engineering. That sounds like some pretty solid logic, too.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Sound logic is sound.

Also would work if you couldn't get to said screw. Cool and practical. Like me X3

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Daemascus said:
When has he ever used it as a screwdriver though?
Here you go ;3
The Doctor: [finishes locking the door with his Sonic screwdriver] Ok, that door should hold it for a bit.
Captain Jack Harkness: The Door. The wall didn't stop it!
The Doctor: Well it's got to find us first! Come on, we're not done yet! Assets, assets!
Captain Jack Harkness: Well, I've got a banana and, in a pinch, you could put up some shelves.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
:O DO WANT!!!!

*Ahem* Sorry about that. But I would want to buy one if they ever become commercially available.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
Positive: This Is Awesome.

Negative: So we'll all need to get deadlock seals on our doors or risk burglary, damn future.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I want one if he succeeds. If it does the same things as the sonic screwdriver in Dr. Who then it's going to be SO much fun >:)

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You do realize that we're inventing a screwdriver that is entirely over-complex and prone to mechanical failure and battery death when we have a simple, cheap common mechanical device to do that already? I'm a fan of the Doctor too, but this just seems like a waste.

Oct 14, 2010
I was about to come on with some snarky comment saying, "Sure, we can mess with stuff like this because we've cured cancer." but then I read how it could potentially be used to eradicate diseased cells.

Rock on, Dr. Drinkwater.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
One word: WANT.

Twilight_guy said:
You do realize that we're inventing a screwdriver that is entirely over-complex and prone to mechanical failure and battery death when we have a simple, cheap common mechanical device to do that already? I'm a fan of the Doctor too, but this just seems like a waste.
Read the whole article...
vansau said:
For the moment, Bruce Drinkwater (a professor of ultrasonics at Bristol University), is working to prove that the concept of a Sonic Screwdriver is at least possible. Drinkwater wants to build on pre-existing research that uses ultrasonic waves to move small objects and separate diseased cells from healthy ones.
I think that's useful, non?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I didn't even read the whole thing, but Bruce Drinkwater has got to be the coolest fucking name ever

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
tomtom94 said:
vansau said:
I think that's useful, non?
Plus, like a bowtie, it would be COOL!

Besides, anyone who's tried to screw something somewhere awkward (not the back of a VW), knows how usefull a touchless screwdriver would be.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Arkhangelsk said:
I read about this. I want it so badly. And a fez. Not sure which one I want the most...
Fez's are cool, but sonic screwdrivers are really cool. Even better than bananas.
Hm, multi-purpose glowing tool with the word "sonic" in it, or the coolest head wear on the planet? Tough choices...

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
words cannot describe the level of awesome that is this post.

plus i have a theory on making a obect with more space on the inside then the size of the object.
nothing in words just yet, and i am going to need to study physic a lot more to see if my theory is even plausable.
but as long as it dosen't go against "mass and energy cannot be created or destroied" it could work!