Capcom Finally Allows Resident Evil Players to Run While Shooting

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Finally Allows Resident Evil Players to Run While Shooting

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D will bring a new aspect to the franchise that many fans have been asking for since the original game.

The release of Resident Evil 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-5-Gold-Xbox-360/dp/B002Z7BE1U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291829904&sr=8-4] brought with it a controversy over survival horror franchise's control scheme that still didn't allow players to run and shoot at the same time. It's looking like Capcom may be easing its point of view on the matter, with new details from Famitsu magazine on the Nintendo 3DS's Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D revealing that the game will finally feature this ability.

Capcom said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89922-No-Change-Coming-to-Resident-Evil-Controls] that it hasn't allowed gamers to run and shoot in Resident Evil because it adds a feeling of tension. It makes sense in gameplay terms, but admittedly is weird to be glued to the ground when you should be on the move from any number of dangerous monsters.

Mercenaries 3D is basically the Mercenaries modes of previous Resident Evil titles broadened into an entire game, and is a more action-packed style of gameplay that gives players specific objectives with a time limit. Mercenaries 3D will switch to a first-person mode whenever the player whips out his/her weapon, and in this mode players can move about freely even while firing off rounds.

This could be a new feature unique to Mercenaries 3D, or it could indicate that Capcom has taken the criticism over the matter to heart. According to game director Kazuhisa Inoue, control changes needed to be made to adjust to the 3DS, and the Mercenaries mode is more of a shooter, so it's entirely possible that the ability to move while shooting in Resident Evil may only last for this handheld iteration of the series.

Other details in Famitsu included that Mercenaries 3D will allow for fully customizable characters in terms of both skills and weaponry, similar to an RPG. Characters like Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Jack Krauser, and Hunk will each have specific strengths that can be upgraded and tailored over time. The game will also apparently feature co-op play over Wi-Fi.

Don't expect any revelations in Mercenaries 3D though, as Capcom admitted that it's being developed purely as an action game and won't have any storyline attached. This is just fine with me, as long as the game includes the triumphant return of Tofu [http://residentevil.wikia.com/Tofu].

Source: 1up [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/08/re_mercenaries_3d_detailed/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
sounds cool to me, cant wait to get a 3ds and give this a shot

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I wasn't too bothered with no run and gun... Ok, in later levels where enemies either had huge damage dealers or instakill attacks, yeah I was, and boss fights weren't any better for its absence, but the worse had to be the knife. Not only was using it already awkward, but aiming it to fire was just crossing the line and made it useless. It was very strange that a special task force police officer turned into special agent (who was treated as cannon fodder... by the company he helped create... yeah that part was weird) couldn't grasp the concept of so much as walking while aiming when an engineer in heavy armor realized it while using mining tools.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
RE5 should have had it because it was more actiony than the others. All the other ones (even RE4 that switches between crazy action and horror) worked fine with standing and shooting. Plus, that is part of the franshise...

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Just being able to backpedal and shoot would be good enough for me. (Especially when fighting those ****ing dogs...)

Direbetus

Nov 30, 2010
Bah, am I the only one who doesn't like this decision? Not being able to move while shooting and such adds so much tension to everything. Resident Evil 5 would've been ridiculously easy if you could move while shooting. Having to carefully think about when you can reload and such was so awesome. It's a shame to see Capcom moving one step closer to the more casual audience that dislikes challenges.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Direbetus said:
Bah, am I the only one who doesn't like this decision? Not being able to move while shooting and such adds so much tension to everything. Resident Evil 5 would've been ridiculously easy if you could move while shooting. Having to carefully think about when you can reload and such was so awesome. It's a shame to see Capcom moving one step closer to the more casual audience that dislikes challenges.
But can't you have tension while still being able to move freely around? Restricting movement in order to increase tension sounds like a lazy tactic, and it's one I never enjoyed. It may cause some tension, but it feels unwarranted because not being able to move feels backward in this day and age. Also, there's something about not being able to move while aiming that seems...obtrusive on a small screen like the DS.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Direbetus said:
I don't think gamers disliked the challenge - it was the artificial nature of the challenge that bothered them. Like the 1 foot high box that your character can't get over because there's no jump function, not being able to move while shooting created challenges due to game mechanics that we all know do not exist in real life.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
GOOD.

RE5 was bogged down aginst special infected fights (Chainsaw dude ect) because your combat was shoot a few times, run shoot, that should keep it running more smoothly.

Also, make AI partners not heal you when you so much as sneeze, she wastes ALL my herbs...

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I didn't think it was important, i actually like the old way more. strategy>aiming skills but i guess is better since the games have become more action oriented

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I have no problem with pause-and-shoot gameplay when Resident Evil was actual survival horror, but their slow push towards more of an action style has caused it to be a problem. It was a poor gameplay choice that just doesn't work in the context of where the series is going. I fully support this, but if they returned to a more survival horror-esque combat system then I'd have no problem with it.

Direbetus

Nov 30, 2010
fozzy360 said:
Direbetus said:
But can't you have tension while still being able to move freely around? Restricting movement in order to increase tension sounds like a lazy tactic, and it's one I never enjoyed. It may cause some tension, but it feels unwarranted because not being able to move feels backward in this day and age. Also, there's something about not being able to move while aiming that seems...obtrusive on a small screen like the DS.
Of course, it is possible to create tension, case of point being Dead Space. But I don't really think the guys at Capcom are capable of doing that, even more so with a game like Resident Evil 5 where you're most of the time in open and light areas. I'm not someone who's generally bothered with forced game mechanics such as not being able to move while shooting, aiming and knifing for an instance. But maybe that has more to do with the fact that I'm used to it from more old school games.
cefm said:
Direbetus said:
I don't think gamers disliked the challenge - it was the artificial nature of the challenge that bothered them. Like the 1 foot high box that your character can't get over because there's no jump function, not being able to move while shooting created challenges due to game mechanics that we all know do not exist in real life.
If there was a wall you might need to jump behind for cover or such in Resident Evil 5, then you could do that. I thought they'd programmed it just "enough" when it comes to covers and such. I find it somewhat weird when people complain about that "this is not how it is in real life" when the game is about fighting parasites that inhabit human bodies and take them over, a man who's back from the dead thanks to a virus and similar things.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Direbetus said:
By that logic, the best platform games are the ones with bad cameras so you can't see what you're supposed to be jumping for. Controls should not hinder your ability to play a game. That's called fake difficulty, and only the insane enjoy it.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Direbetus said:
Of course, it is possible to create tension, case of point being Dead Space. But I don't really think the guys at Capcom are capable of doing that, even more so with a game like Resident Evil 5 where you're most of the time in open and light areas. I'm not someone who's generally bothered with forced game mechanics such as not being able to move while shooting, aiming and knifing for an instance. But maybe that has more to do with the fact that I'm used to it from more old school games.
Capcom can create tension without having to restrict movements. Look at the beginning of RE5. By itself, that part was plenty scary. You were overwhelmed, your ammo was low, danger was everywhere...that alone was fine enough, but then you had to stand still in order to shoot. My mindset went from "Oh shit, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die" to "Move, stop, shoot, move, stop, shoot." It just doesn't feel right. The obtrusive nature of it took me out of the experience. But I think I see your point, too. This aspect of RE was one of the last throwbacks to the older entries and taking it away sheds that. Is it more nostalgia with you?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
As much as I support the decision to allow movement while aiming, I'm a little leary of allowing "running." You can only move so fast while maintaining good aim. Then again, if anyone's going to be able to run and gun and make it plausible, it's Chris. Dude went Hokuto Shinken on a boulder without breaking his hands.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Finally. I didn't ask for much but at least give us the fuckin' realistic and more tense option to slowly step backwards or in any direction whilst aiming, would help preventing the frustation alot more also more realistic.
Excuse me, have you ever fired a gun while even moving extremely slowly in any direction?

archvile93 said:
Direbetus said:
By that logic, the best platform games are the ones with bad cameras so you can't see what you're supposed to be jumping for. Controls should not hinder your ability to play a game. That's called fake difficulty, and only the insane enjoy it.
There is a difference between game design decision and game design flaw. What you are describing is a game design flaw. Nobody wants bad camera movement in their game, and it happens because the developer wasn't able to pull it off properly.
A game design decision is something the developer wants to do, whether or not others will like it. You don't, that's fine, don't come saying now "there are good decisions and there are dumb ones", because that's both missing the point and wrong.
Neither is this fake difficulty, it just means you have to decide between running away to get a good spot to shoot from and shooting from where you are standing now. I don't get why this is such an enormous problem for so many people.