BioShock Novel Coming This Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock Novel Coming This Year

BioShock [http://us.macmillan.com/TorForge.aspx] novel later this year, promising to take readers "deeper into the realms" of the underwater city known as Rapture.

The upcoming book was revealed in Tor's catalog for late 2009, which says the novel will be released in both hardcover and paperback editions. BioShock creator Ken Levine is listed as the author, although as Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23761] notes, whether he actually wrote the book or simply provided the concepts upon which it's based isn't clear.

Tor Books is a well-known sci-fi and fantasy imprint that's published a wide range of authors including Orson Scott Card, R.A. Salvatore, Spider Robinson and Andre Norton. Tor has also published a series of novels based on the EVE Online [http://halo.xbox.com/halo3/], later this year.

The BioShock novel is scheduled for release in "fall 2009," which should put it somewhere in the neighborhood of the recently announced November 3 [http://www.somethinginthesea.com/] and make a nice double feature for fans.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Well, now I have something to read over the winter.=) I wonder how much it will cost...

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I'm afraid it's going to follow the tradition of other game based novels and suck. I'm still traumatised by the horrible Metal Gear Solid book.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
this actually makes me concerned...please dont milk bioshock, it was awesome, but another game, movie and book, dont get carried away...

im abit worried about if theyre actually gonna try with THE GAME now (sorry)

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Is Bethesda selling out? Possibly.
Am I still going to buy this? Absolutely.

Nothing good can last forever. Might as well accept it, people.

Angron said:
im abit worried about if theyre actually gonna try with THE GAME now (sorry)
You're not playing The Game, are you?
Because if you say yes, I'm going to have to slap your face in a pompous manner and declare pistols at dawn.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
A lot of games are trying to get into book sales now. Gears of War: Aspho Fields, Mass Effect books, Halo has been going for years. I think its actually a good idea as it'll get more young-uns into reading. Bioshock should be good in novel format.

Nerples

May 7, 2008
Ohh yay, Atlas Shrugged set underwater. I can't think of anything i'd rather read!

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
I agree with Stigmata, although in the eyes of the law the "young-uns" shouldn't even have played Bioshock as its rated 18!
Besides -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged- Is a good enough Bioshock book as thats that they based it on.
Honestly its just as bad as "Warcraft Syndrome", a.k.a. The act of writing a load of balls to make more money.

The game books are the ones that are written before the game was realized.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Bioshock, Halo, EVE, Dragon Age, Mirror's Edge, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dead Space, and probably many more.

I can't say its all top quality (and sadly many seem like milking), but I've got to praise the act of effectively exploring (and extending) a game's narrative through cross-media.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
It's sad people will rather read a book about the location of one of their favourite video games instead of, say, 1984, Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Faust.

But hey, it's actually not that hard to convert video games into printmedia, since they're pretty much a digitized version of books (yes, they're closer to books than to movies, but don't try to make me prove it now since I'm far too tired). Only the story quality has to catch up yet (by a whole lot), but it'll happen eventually - at least a few have already gotten fairly close to brilliance.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
The Shade said:
TaborMallory said:
Bethesda? Did I miss something?

o_0
Um... wait a minute. I think I'm getting my game companies mixed up. Who's the one who made Bioshock?

karl_eller

Aug 7, 2008
TaborMallory said:
The Shade said:
TaborMallory said:

o_0
Um... wait a minute. I think I'm getting my game companies mixed up. Who's the one who made Bioshock?
2K Games, who are owned by Take-Two.

I have a bad feeling that this'll read like bad fan-fiction. Books based on games might sound great initially, but they rarely work.

Eller

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
i might never be able to show my face on this forum again, but i thought Mass Effect Revelation was a good book. i also though the halo books were way better than the games (halo 2 and 3 atleast), even if it was... exaggerated (to say the least).
bioshock could work. if its written by a good author that is.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Wait....seriously?

Wouldn't Bioshock the book just be Fountainhead with the word "splicer" thrown in at random intervals?

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
TaborMallory said:
The Shade said:
TaborMallory said:

o_0
2K Boston/Australia made the first one. 2K Marin is making the second one. (I think).

Bethesda made The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3.

BioHazard19

May 17, 2009
This could be really good or really bad. I mean, Bioshock had a great story and all, but I haven't ever read a really great book based off of a video game. If I hear good things about it, I might give it a look.