Two Worlds Publisher Talks About SEC Troubles

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Two Worlds Publisher Talks About SEC Troubles

SouthPeak Games is in trouble with the SEC, but the publisher wants you to know that it messed up and is trying to set things right.

Games publisher SouthPeak has not been earning a lot of goodwill, based on all its recent appearances in the news lately. Aside being embroiled in some nasty legal cases (currently in hot water with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Regarding that last issue, the publisher is now admitting, publicly, that it screwed up.

SouthPeak issued a statement in response to a Cease and Desist letter the SEC sent it last week, explaining that the publisher hadn't filed financial reports properly. It's claiming this was an error that it tried to correct before the SEC got involved:

A number of news stories have been written over the past days that make a number of statements regarding our former CFO, Reba McDermott, and SEC issues regarding the company that require correction and clarification. With respect to Reba McDermott, her separation from the Company was amicable and there are no allegations of wrongful termination or lawsuits stemming from her departure. Reba chose to leave the Company on her own accord and we wish her well.

In terms of the SEC, an investigation was prompted into the background of the need to file restated financial statements for the quarter ended March 31, 2009. The SEC staff's inquiry was fully disclosed in our public filings as of June 30, 2009, and was based on the manner in which we recorded a loan during this quarter which was made by our chairman to help support our business but was not properly reported in our financial statements.

During the investigation, we fully explained to the SEC staff that when we discovered the error in our statements, we acted promptly on our own accord with the support of our auditor and outside counsel to fully rectify the issue. The recommendation of the SEC staff resulting from this investigation is that cease and desist orders issue in which we agree to comply with our SEC filing obligations in the future. We are currently negotiating the exact provisions of the orders. The SEC is not proposing that our Company be prohibited from doing business as some are saying, but rather, as is the case with proceedings of like nature, the SEC is trying to assure our Company's compliance in the future with our reporting obligations.

As we mature as a public company, we have taken great pains to install better internal controls and procedures to further assure our adherence with financial reporting obligations and we are seeking a replacement for our prior CFO, who was instrumental in installing better controls and procedures, with the experience necessary to help us make sure similar incidents do not happen again.

SouthPeak's mention of McDermott's departure is probably based on the fact that her predecessor, Andrea Jones, was asked to leave the company in August and she is suing the publisher for wrongful termination.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/12/08/southpeak-comments-cfo-woes-sec-troubles>GamePolitics

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I am still pissed about the Two Worlds 2 delay... A lot of people in Europe says its good! :mad:

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Two Worlds Publisher is talking about Small Energy Charge troubles? So when am I gonna get my plasma pistol in huh!?!

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
"and was based on the manner in which we recorded a loan during this quarter which was made by our chairman to help support our business but was not properly reported in our financial statements."

WTF???

This is the equivalent of murder in the corporate world, THEY KNOW THEY CAN'T DO THIS.. they are screwing with money and financial reports.. that's really fucking BAD as far as accountancy concerns go.

And to say it was a mistake was the equivalent, in our terms, of saying.. " yeah, I didn't mean to put the pickaxe through his head.. it was an oversight."

The whole thing stinks rotten of criminal financial dealing.. and to have a secret, unrecorded (misrecorded, same thing) loan from the ceo keeping things floating so the share price won't go down.. If no-one see the decidedly criminal in that situation then you need specs.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
*takes off newsman fedora*

Based on all the articles we've posted about them, they seem shady as hell.

*puts fedora back on and resumes objective journalism*

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Damn, they can never get out of trouble, can they? I'm still waiting patiently for Two Worlds II and hoping they make it out of all these messes they keep getting wrapped up in.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
as long as they don't delay two worlds two here int the u.s. ill be happy as for the whole financial mumbo jumbo it looks pretty shady hope they don't get shut down and/or arrested.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Korten12 said:
I am still pissed about the Two Worlds 2 delay... A lot of people in Europe says its good! :mad:
I thought it was delayed in EU too so that they don't think the US is getting some special polished versions outta it, while they get the bug filled crap? Unless it was unoffical release copies.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
twistedheat15 said:
Korten12 said:
I thought it was delayed in EU too so that they don't think the US is getting some special polished versions outta it, while they get the bug filled crap? Unless it was unoffical release copies.
No apparently the US version will be the same just with patches the EU version gets intergrated into them, but apparently the EU version isn't buggy at all... The game was all set to be released in the US but the US publisher decided to delay it.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Why are people excited about Two Worlds 2? The first game was one of the lamest games that I've ever played. I couldn't even stomach more than 20 minutes of it and I'm a big RPG fan. That's the only game I've ever paid $10 for that I thought wasn't worth it.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
Korten12 said:
I have it, and I can't say I'm enjoying it a lot. It still has horrible dialogue and voice acting. Even though the places you visit have a lot of variation, I still got bored simply because the story isn't appealing.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
vansau said:
*takes off newsman fedora*

Based on all the articles we've posted about them, they seem shady as hell.

*puts fedora back on and resumes objective journalism*
I wished that kind of intervention was more common in the comments, that's hilarious. Great call Vansau!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Corohan said:
Korten12 said:
I have it, and I can't say I'm enjoying it a lot. It still has horrible dialogue and voice acting. Even though the places you visit have a lot of variation, I still got bored simply because the story isn't appealing.
Hm, odd first person I heard to say it sucked.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Korten12 said:
Corohan said:
Korten12 said:
Hm, odd first person I heard to say it sucked.
Well can I be the second :eek:

I thought the game was a complete load of bollocks... terrible game, and I'll also add that RPGs are my only genre.