Jill and Chris Take a Cruise in Resident Evil: Revelations

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Jill and Chris Take a Cruise in Resident Evil: Revelations

Details on the upcoming Resident Evil: Revelations have revealed that Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield are taking a cruise on Umbrella's dime.

The latest issue of Famitsu not only contained new information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105955-Capcom-Finally-Allows-Resident-Evil-Players-to-Run-While-Shooting] about the Nintendo 3DS's Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, but also revealed the basic plotline for the 3D handheld's Resident Evil: Revelations, the next Resident Evil game that will actually have a story. Revelations puts the dream team of Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield back together again as they continue the battle against the Umbrella Corporation's sinister machinations on a cruise ship.

This cruise ship is anything but luxurious, because if there's anything that ruins a buffet it's monsters that hog all the bacon. The game takes place between Resident Evil 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000P46NKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291929223&sr=8-1] just after the formation of the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance (BSAA), of which Jill and Chris are members. The organization's goal is to track down bio-organic weapons typically deployed by Umbrella, which brings the duo to the cruise ship somewhere in a European body of water.

The story of Revelations hasn't been expanded on much past this basic information, but Capcom did say that it wants Revelations to stand on its own for new players. Still, there will be a connection to previous or future titles. Concept art also reveals possible locations other than the cruise ship, including a snowy area with a crashed plane, and a ruined port town.

The idea behind the design of Revelations is to bring back the feel of the series circa Resident Evil 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-3-Nemesis-GameCube/dp/B00007KQC5] and earlier, which was more about "exploration and puzzle solving." The action might be slower than Resident Evil 4 and 5, but it'll recreate the feeling of horror that was once experienced when zombie dogs would jump through windows, or giant monsters would smash through walls.

Players can evidently move while their gun is equipped, but there doesn't appear to be any mention of the ability to run while shooting like with Mercenaries 3D. Capcom wants to create a new form of control for Revelations, Famitsu reports, but unfortunately what this means is unclear.

Resident Evil: Revelations is said to be only 20% complete, so it might not be released for quite some time. The 3DS itself will be released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103851-Nintendo-3DS-Coming-in-2011-With-300-Price-Tag] in Japan on February 26, 2011, so Revelations isn't looking like a launch title right now.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/08/re_revelations_update/]

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Cool, but too bad about it not being a launch title, It was one of the things pushing me to get a 3DS on day one. Oh well still got Zelda

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It looks pretty interesting, although I lost much interest in the series after finishing RE5, I like it when Capcom makes side stories, like the Unbrella Chronicles and The Dark Side Chronicles.

This may not be one of those, but it certainly sounds pretty interesting, but having Wesker as TEH main villain again feels a bit akward after RE5's ending.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'm interested. I look forward to taking control of Chris and his +4 Biceps of Wesker Beating once again.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
IceStar100 said:
Wonder what he'll punch this time.
2:1 on some sort of mutated ocean life (I'm betting on a shark)
4:1 on punching the ship.
12:1 on punching the ocean.
99:1 on punching Jill ;)

As for the game...eh, I'm kinda interested, but it's not going to be a title which makes me yearn for a 3DS.

Now that Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover on the other hand...

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
I'm pretty excited for this, but I'm a Resident Evil nut, and more importantly, a HUGE Jill fan. So I'm super stoked about being able to be Jill again /Jill fangirl

If it's anything like the RE5 DLC: Lost Nightmares, I'm going to be super excited, because I loved that DLC, and not just because I got to be Jill, but it gave me the same feeling of dread like the old games and some parts of RE4 (parts with the regenerators to be specific, before thermal scope)

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Great, another Resident Evil. Can't help but feel they're just putting pegs in the story for more games sake.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
This sounds promising, at least.

I have no clue why I'm so excited about playing as Jill Valentine, though, considering that I've barely played any of the original games. The controls in RE1 just felt awful when I sat down with the REmake. There's just something about her that's caught my fancy, and refuses to let go.

If Revelations succeeds in fusing the horror elements of earlier games with the proper controls of the most recent ones, maybe it's not too much (or too wrong) to hope for a new set of remakes (utilizing Revelations' game system) of RE1-3 and Code: Veronica?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Evilsanta said:
No way! A Resident Evil game with a story!?
My response to "What do you think of Resident Evil's story" resembles that of Mahatma Ghandi when asked what he thought of Western civilization: "I think it would be a good idea."

Also, as someone who has actually handled firearms (though, granted, not nearly the wide range that has appeared in the RE games), the whole "you have to stand still to fire" bit has always irked me. (Not to mention the fire rate of handguns previous to RE4; apparently even musclebound Chris couldn't manage more than one shot per second from a dinky 9mm. But I digress.) You should be able to move while firing, though it should also make you highly inaccurate- that way I can't just sprint through the zombie hordes putting bullets in their brains, but I can back away from a monstrosity while unloading lead in its general direction.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Amnestic said:
99:1 on punching Jill ;)
Bow Chicka Wow Wow!

OT: I'm looking forward to this. I love random zombie killin' and Resident Evil is one of my favorite series.
LOVE IT!

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
"The idea behind the design of Revelations is to bring back the feel of the series circa Resident Evil 3 and earlier"

This line alone is the best thing to have happened to the Resident Evil franchise since Code: Veronica. It really is about time.