That Game I Should Have Liked

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
That Game I Should Have Liked

Shamus hated The Witcher when he should have loved it.

Read Full Article

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
When I go to the witcher review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/2672-Review-The-Witcher] and try to read the comments they don't load. Why is that?

Sep 14, 2009
this is very true and honest. I personally hear reviews and comments about games sometimes and I think "wow, I'm gonna love this game!" and I get to it and I'm either raging about how illogical it is and how bad the game play and characters are or I'm falling asleep to the game, which I'm not a sleepy person so that's damn hard to do that. ever since a couple years ago after playing those said games, I've realized not to take game reviews and comments too seriously, so I can easily see where reviewers are coming once I play a game myself.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I too wasn't fan of the witcher. The main character was plank of wood doing a bad intimation of Clint Eastwood. The dialogue was clunky and sometimes unintentionally funny, one female character shouted for no apparent reason "I'm going down". I have feeling I would have enjoyed the game much more if was 15.

Feb 13, 2008
Feel the same way about Bioshock and Fallout.

They're RPGs, they're deep, they have scarily beautiful atmosphere, insane weapons, morality, multiple choice, and yet....

Meh...

Bioshock loses me really quickly because it's underwater. Sorry but the bathyscape alone gets me choking for air, and when that fecking whale goes past I nearly freak out.

After that, I'm walking through a dystopian art gallery looking...oh I stopped caring.

Fallout 3 brings me up and takes me out into...oh, hold on, I missed a bit....let me go back and....well...No, I want to get the critical stuff...Hold on, can I go over here? No? Oh my god, what happened there...Ah hell, I want something I can make progress on.

Two fantastic games, and they bore me into the ground.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
The Witcher was to me the most immersive and rewarding experience I've had since Baldur's Gate II, utterly without parallel in anything the american marked has produced in modern years, with a bare exception of KotOR. Geralt wasn't always likeable, nor was he supposed to be, and sometimes the seams showed, but it was never a deal breaker.

And damnit, if I could learn to love Final Fantasy X despite Titeuf (or whatever), because of, well, everything else, then The Witcher should not present a problem.

EDIT: I'd also recommend the books by Sapkowski for people who enjoy thoughtful and intelligent fantasy literature with the same moral shadings that was presented quite nicely in the game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I felt this way about stalker, it should have been something I would have loved but for the life of me I couldnt get into it and I just didnt like it

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
I guess you have a point there... I wouldn't doubt that Final Fantasy is a good game, but trying other games in the series, I haven't bothered because sitting through cutscenes like that really gets to me in a game.

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

They're RPGs, they're deep, they have scarily beautiful atmosphere, insane weapons, morality, multiple choice, and yet....

Meh...
Bioshock didn't really have any moral choices. Just the stupid "kill child or save child" system that gives you the same amount of ADAM in the long run regardless of what you choose.

Anyway, my prodding aside, I can understand your sentiment Shamus. Geralt was a prick. I didn't mind him that much, but he annoys the hell out of me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked Geralt as a character. Sure, he's a dick, just like everyone else already said, but he's a dick that I actually had sympathy for.

In every single game, I'm used to play as a goody good guy, maybe a bit jaded with a dark story or whatever, but for me, Geralt was very refreshing and I actually cared for him despite the fact that he didn't gave a shit about everyone else around him. Also, his voice reminded me a lot of JC Denton from Deus Ex.

To me, Geralt was pretty much like JC Denton and Captain Shephard. He's very monotonous and whatnot, but you, as a player, can change the character a little bit to make him even more of a dick or less dickey. He's definitively not Gordon Freeman and he's also not as witty as Duke Nukem, but he's just like Captain Shephard and/or JC Denton.

I even dare to say that, despite it's flaws, I had a blast playing The Witcher. And I've already preordered The Witcher 2.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Maybe... maybe when people have amnesia, they come back as jerks?

I guess it depends a bit on whether you're interacting with the game as a game, or as a movie. Are you watching the characters (and just picking which direction they take)? Or do you inhabit the characters, and therefore feel an extra level of attachment to the courses they take? That might make all the difference.

In other words, Maybe it would be easier for you, Shamus, to watch the game being played than it is for you to play it?

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
Do people really read reviews to decided what they buy?

Aren't most sales in the first week when nowadays there are either no pre-release review copies send out at all or reviewers are send a non-release copy with a promise that every bug and issue is resolved at release.

First month sales seem to be the result of marketing and hype (Previews) and not of calm collected reflection on the merits of buying the game.

I always thought people mostly read reviews to get affirmed in their taste by way of the reviewer also liking their game.

That's why I think they hate it when a score doesn't match their view. In other words the game is already bought and played and they simply don't like that a reviewer didn't shared their views. In other words the review wasn't part of the buying ritual, but much like post-match talk by sportscommentators the reviews seem to be part of the post-buy affirmation ritual.

Negative comments on the performance of a favorite team annoys the fans of the team. A negative review of a game someone recently bought, played and enjoyed is felt to be jab at the buyers taste. Metacritic is then grabbed by the hairs to show that it is the reviewer that supposedly has a bad taste.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Shamus, you ought to read Orwell.

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/reviewer/english/e_bkrev

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Irridium said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Meh...
Bioshock didn't really have any moral choices. Just the stupid "kill child or save child" system that gives you the same amount of ADAM in the long run regardless of what you choose.
FO3 was even worse in the choice department... You essentially got to roleplay either the gullible cartoon saint, or the edgy psychotic teenager. Usually it would have no consequence either way anyways...

I must also express my extreme disappointment at someone mentioning "fallout" while referring to "fallout 3".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mezzo. said:
I guess you have a point there... I wouldn't doubt that Final Fantasy is a good game, but trying other games in the series, I haven't bothered because sitting through cutscenes like that really gets to me in a game.
I frequently want to hit characters in the FF franchise with the largest shovel I can wield.

Reviews are more fanboy fodder these days, anyway. In a world when you can get video clips of gameplay, detailed information, and so on, it shouldn't be hard to make up your own minds anyway. I appreciate well-written reviews, but I think there's more ways than ever to experience a game before buying it.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Even with all the conflicting interests reviewers have, Metacritic scores tend to work pretty well for me.

So I guess it all averages out.