Wikileaks Exposes North Korean Dictator's Son as Gaming Nerd

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wikileaks Exposes North Korean Dictator's Son as Gaming Nerd

The cables recently made available on Wikileaks prove that videogames may have a bigger effect on foreign relations than previously believed.

The first connection between the massive Wikileaks cable scandal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105954-Anonymous-Declares-Infowar-on-Wikileaks-Opponents] and the videogame industry has been revealed at last. Foreign relations with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il are always unpredictable, but according to a Wikileaked cable he may the last in his family line to run the country, and videogames could be the reason why.

Part of the September 2008 cable, sent from the U.S. consulate in Shanghai, discusses the possible future of the North Korean regime and who might succeed Jong-il. The consensus at the time was that none of his three sons would be up to the task. One was ruled out for being a "playboy," another was too young, and a third spent too much time killing virtual goblins.

The cable reads: "None of KJI's three sons is likely to be tapped to succeed him. xxxxx considers the two youngest sons, Kim Jong-chol and Kim Jong-un, far too inexperienced and incapable of effective governance. xxxxx, observing that KJI's oldest son, Kim Jong-nam, is 'too much of a playboy,' Kim Jong-chol is 'more interested in videogames' than governing, and Kim Jong-un is simply too young."

This could be the most ignorant cable reveal yet. Doesn't the U.S. government know that videogames are a perfect way to prepare for being a dictator? Hasn't anybody in Shanghai ever played Civilization [http://www.amazon.com/Tropico-3-Gold-Pc/dp/B003YBROYC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292000474&sr=8-4]?

The cable goes on to surmise that the military would takeover for Jong-il, though Jong-il himself has promoted Jong-un as North Korea's next dictator. If you ask me, the true successor will actually be the videogame-obsessed Johg-chol, and he's being groomed through the best method possible.

Source: Kotaku [http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2008/09/08SHANGHAI422.html]

Oct 14, 2010
This cable is entirely inaccurate. Everybody knows there are absolutely no requirements necessary for running North Korea.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
If the little dude can avoid the pitfalls of the average evil dictator,maybe something good might come out of it.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Is it wrong of me to find North Korea absolutely hilarious? It's like the leader has to have histrionic personality disorder before being allowed to rule his little shithole of a country...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Twad said:
If the little dude can avoid the pitfalls of the average evil dictator,maybe something good might come out of it.
Going by what we've seen of him, he would most likely be the best option, given his father doesnt really like him, wheras the other two are being raised by daddy to be dictator. Plus any pictures I've seen of the little guy, he actually seems well....happy and jolly.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm guessing his WoW characer was ganked by a Rogue from S.Korea the day before the artillery strikes... :p

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Oh my god, it makes perfect sense!

Don't you see? Kim Jong-chol is preparing a secret North Korean Starcraft team that will trash the living bejesus out of the South Korean ones! The proof is right here for all to see!!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I love how 90% of Wikileaks "reveals" is the kind of information that a casual political observer like myself and most other politcally interested here on The Escapist already know...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Gethsemani said:
I love how 90% of Wikileaks "reveals" is the kind of information that a casual political observer like myself and most other politcally interested here on The Escapist already know...
I can assure you, common knowledge isn't as common. Most people genuinely see these as "reveals." Whereas only a few see them and go through vindication or just outright denial.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So, if the Kim Jong-blah family is removed from power and a new emperor arises, giving hope, peace and happiness to the North Koreans, then we'll have to thank the video games?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Irridium said:
$5 says the media spins this story by saying dictators prefer games, so games are bad.
I doubt it. The media aren't touching the Wikileaks leak contents with a twenty foot pole so long as the US government is having its hissy fit.