Journey Trailer Brings Loneliness to Art Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Journey Trailer Brings Loneliness to Art Games

The first trailer for Thatgamecompany's Journey might bring a tear to your eye.

The next title to come out of Flower [http://www.amazon.com/flOw-Online-Game-Code-Full/dp/B002GP6WBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292009575&sr=1-1] studio Thatgamecompany will be Journey for the PlayStation Network, another game deemed somewhat of an "experiment." Journey's first trailer has been released and is so lonely it might make you want to call a friend or loved one.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, and will likely be added to the pantheon of titles used in the "games as art" argument. Journey's gameplay in general is still being kept under wraps, but we do know that it has a big component of exploration. Players will be moving through sand dunes, snowy mountains, and other areas as their robes flow in the wind, searching for... something. The trailer does show off another living, or at least presumably living, snake-like golem creature, so these lands may be populated by outlandish creatures too.

This trailer might give you the idea that Journey is all about searching through a mysterious land by your lonesome, but it actually does have an interesting multiplayer component. While Journeying, those online may come across other human players on the way, but they can only be communicated with through primal means and not actual language. Whether you choose to hang beside these players or leave them in your dust is up to you.

The idea is to create an emergent, emotional mechanic that sees the game's "powerless" players trying to work together to create unique gameplay situations, or remaining aloof and finding out what can happen solo. I know all we've seen so far is Journey's trailer and some screenshots, but it's truly reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus [http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Shadow-Colossus-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5FG], which also imparted an engaging feeling of loneliness. Journey appears to be similar to the Team Ico game, but might be a look at what Colossus would be like if you randomly came across other players in the search for its giant bosses.

Journey will be released sometime in 2011.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh,

I might be slightly impressed if it didn't seem that most "artsy" games all want to try and tackle the same sense of lonliness, detachment, despair, isolation and similar things. The problem is we've already had games like "Shadow Of The Colossus" and "Limbo", not to mention a mixed bag of horror games.

I mean wonderful, people can make depressing and surrealistic things with video gaming. Don't expect much more than a golfclap for that one in of itself now. If we want to see games taken more seriously as an artistic platform I think we need some versatility. Could someone make a game just as "artsy" that is cheerful and upbeat? Right now I think that would prove more than yet another adventure of Emo Mcangst.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wow... if it does the rest of the game the way it does the sound and art work I will be very impressed. I think I saw screen shots for this a while back and was like "WAAAAH! WHAT IS THIS LOVINESS FROM NO WHERE?"

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
For the first time in-amongst all the Big Releases and tremendous console wars, I really want a PS3. Purely to play THIS game.

Damn Microsoft.......

Any Ideas on a release date?

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Wow, the music in the trailer was really atmospheric. But I didn't really get that strong lonely vibe, though.

While Journeying, those online may come across other human players on the way, but they can only be communicated with through primal means and not actual language.
This reminds me of ICO, and I really love the idea.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I at first thought that it was a remake of the awesome Journey game for the Atari 2600. You know, the one about the band, Journey.

"Don't stop...believin'! (hold on to that feeling....)"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Whoa.

That looked awesome. I am going to buy the hell out of this.

Oh. Wait. PS3 only.

Fuck.

Well, there goes my money. Good lord, I hate exclusives.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mmm-boy, that sure does look appetizin'!

The main character kinda looks like a small time girl, livin in a lonely world...,aye?