20th Century Women - 2016's Not Done Yet

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
20th Century Women - 2016's Not Done Yet

20th Century Women is a nearly transcendent coming-of-age movie.

Read Full Article

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
And here's me learning the title and hoping this was gonna be a 20th Century Boys sequel.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
the December King said:
So, at any point does a man share his perspectives and ideas on life in helping to guide the lad?
Probably not, otherwise the toxic masculinity might cause the young man to become something other than a pan-gendered omnisexual giraffe otherkin.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
the December King said:
So, at any point does a man share his perspectives and ideas on life in helping to guide the lad?
Probably not, otherwise the toxic masculinity might cause the young man to become something other than a pan-gendered omnisexual giraffe otherkin.
I'm just genuinely curious.

I mean, If it's just a light-hearted, coming of age comedy, well, a man's POV need not be present or anything, a balance isn't necessary, but if it doesn't exist, and the film is more about women raising a man and 'correcting' all the 'man' out of him, then I don't know, I might find it a frustrating watch.

But if it is feminist, it might be worth watching- as Marter seems to imply (and correct me if I have misread or misunderstood the review- I don't want to speak out of turn!), the more the ladies try to teach the boy to be a man, the more they learn about themselves, as well- which is a nice angle, I admit.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
the December King said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
the December King said:

I mean, If it's just a light-hearted, coming of age comedy, well, a man's POV need not be present or anything, a balance isn't necessary, but if it doesn't exist, and the film is more about women raising a man and 'correcting' all the 'man' out of him, then I don't know, I might find it a frustrating watch.

But if it is feminist, it might be worth watching- as Marter seems to imply (and correct me if I have misread or misunderstood the review- I don't want to speak out of turn!), the more the ladies try to teach the boy to be a man, the more they learn about themselves, as well- which is a nice angle, I admit.
If the movie is 'feminist' as in modern day feminism, then yes it will be about trying to correct the masculinity out of him. Given the state of Hollywood today, I highly doubt the women in the movie could ever have anything to learn from the loathed gender. I mean, it's not like in reality where things work best when men and women can get along and value/compliment eachothers' strengths and weaknesses equally.

Jan 12, 2012
The film is set in the late 1970s, a time of punch rock and second-wave feminism.
I imagine that was supposed to be 'punk rock', though I have to say that if someone advertised a punch rock show I'd attend in a heartbeat.

the December King said:
They did include the mechanic William, and though I haven't seen the film I'd be very surprised if they wrote a male character into a key position in the house only to ignore him.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
the December King said:
They did include the mechanic William, and though I haven't seen the film I'd be very surprised if they wrote a male character into a key position in the house only to ignore him.
That's a good point, sir.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Scytail said:
I can just feel the poor, repressed MRA nazi broiling within you. Please, do go on about feminazi oppression and about how women making equal pay to men is an affront to your pathetic masculinity.
And I can feel the passive-aggressive garbage smell just rolling off you. You don't believe that (Western, white) men are the new toilet for pop culture? Fine; nobody's putting a gun to your head. The least you COULD do, though, is attempt to respond in a civil manner. Or this can just devolve into another situation of two 'sides' on separate basketball courts, scoring meaningless points and occasionally stopping to lob shit over the dividing wall. Your choice. :)

LysanderNemoinis said:
If the movie is 'feminist' as in modern day feminism, then yes it will be about trying to correct the masculinity out of him. Given the state of Hollywood today, I highly doubt the women in the movie could ever have anything to learn from the loathed gender. I mean, it's not like in reality where things work best when men and women can get along and value/compliment eachothers' strengths and weaknesses equally.
Dude, it's modern Hollywierd - I'm surprised they haven't greenlit a picture where a white, hetero male is literally crucified and burnt alive (and who has nothing to do with Jesus). Personally, I'll be thanking Mr. Marter for his review, and staying away from this.

OT: Sounds 'meh'. Best to avoid, I think. :)

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
the December King said:

Some parts of the trailer made me think this could be a man hating film. Like when the son goes "I'm not all men i'm just me" and the mother goes "well yes and no."

But judging by the review it seems to be what you said, just a light-hearted comedy.