Mass Effect 3 to Launch Simultaneously on 360, PS3, PC

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mass Effect 3 to Launch Simultaneously on 360, PS3, PC

You'll be able to play Mass Effect 3 at launch, no matter what your home gaming platform of choice is. Well, unless it's a Wii.

For quite some time, BioWare's Mass Effect was one of the crown jewel Xbox 360 (and Windows) exclusives that Microsoft was able to hold over PS3 owners - that is, until BioWare announced that Mass Effect 2 would be hitting the PS3 in January 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102841-Mass-Effect-2-Hitting-PS3-in-January].

[gametrailers=708362]

There may have been a year-long delay between the Microsoft release of ME2 and its debut on the PlayStation, but according to BioWare there won't be any such delay with the recently-revealed Mass Effect 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106053-Mass-Effect-3-Trailer-Confirms-Earth-is-Screwed].

"At BioWare, we are always driving ourselves to improve and I firmly believe our best work is still ahead of us," said BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka in a press release [http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=536310]. "We could not be prouder of the team's accomplishments with Mass Effect 2, and are excited and humbled by all of the recognition the game has received so far. We can't wait to show you what the team is doing to make Mass Effect 3 an even bigger success."

If you're a determined Xbox 360 fanboy, though, you could try to make the case that this gives PS3 owners one less year to perfect their ME2 saves before porting them in to ME3. We'd probably all see through it, though.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm glad this game has gone cross-platform. Everyone deserves to experience this amazing series and to be honest only people who are into shovelware are the only people who own just a Wii. I think it's safe to say that most 'hardcore' (god I hate that word) gamers who own a Wii also own one of the other platforms.

Jul 22, 2009
Well as you can clearly see this gives PS3 gamers one less year to... oh.

OT: I'm glad every platform gets this amazing game. Once ME3 and all it's DLC comes out I'm going to go back to ME1 and just do one long runthrough with all the choices I would make and attempting to complete as much as possible then transfer my save over and over for one perfect save file ;D

It's gonna be an awesome month... then I'll probably go eat a bacon sandwich.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Well as you can clearly see this gives PS3 gamers one less year to... oh.

OT: I'm glad every platform gets this amazing game. Once ME3 and all it's DLC comes out I'm going to go back to ME1 and just do one long runthrough with all the choices I would make and attempting to complete as much as possible then transfer my save over and over for one perfect save file ;D

It's gonna be an awesome month... then I'll probably go eat a bacon sandwich.
well one less year isn't so bad, I mean, I'm pretty sure you could 100% ME2 in 10 months, if you can't, then why bother buying ME3?10 months of gaming out of one purchase would be amazing(especially a non-multiplayer one) and really, what would be the rush to buy the sequel?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Doesn't really matter to me when they release it on PC or PS3. I've played the first two on 360, and something pretty extreme would have to happen for me to not get #3 on 360 as well. I didn't put all that time into my saves for nothing you know!

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
I'm so damn excited for this game to come out now, seriously worked on my Mass Effect 2 playthrough 3 times and played through the Shadowbroker twice. I want the third installment!

Random Name 4

Oct 23, 2010
You may argue that Mass Effect was a trilogy designed to be played sequentially and a lot of the enjoyment comes out of the consequences of your actions carrying over through each game, and that only playing ME2 and 3 is like only watching Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...

But who am I kidding, that's just silly Xbot fanboy talk.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I suppose it's just as well that the Wii isn't getting the game, at least from where I'm sitting. I wasn't able to justify getting the sequel when I learned about the mining situation in ME2. Especially when I learned it was required for anyone looking to get a good ending. Even if they've fixed that for 3, it's hard to imagine playing the third game if I've skipped over number 2 considering the way the choice system works.

Jul 22, 2009
Josh12345 said:
well one less year isn't so bad, I mean, I'm pretty sure you could 100% ME2 in 10 months, if you can't, then why bother buying ME3?10 months of gaming out of one purchase would be amazing(especially a non-multiplayer one) and really, what would be the rush to buy the sequel?
/satire?

I'm unsure if you took me seriously.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Finally i can play Mass Effect 2 and 3! My PC isnt powerful enough to run the game and i dont own an xbox 360. Being a hug fan of Bioware (love KOTOR 1 and 2), i am extremely pleased to be able to enjoy the game on my ps3.

The thing is...how can i get to play ME 1 and know the story in order to play the sequels? I heard they would release some sort of content to solve this issue (interactive movie? interactive comic?),is it true? Anyone?

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
This is awesome news. :D Ever sense I completed Mass Effect 2 a few days after it's release (I bought it right away on Steam) I have been waiting for this announcement! Can Not Wait!

Here to more Joker!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
marcogodinho said:
Finally i can play Mass Effect 2 and 3! My PC isnt powerful enough to run the game and i dont own an xbox 360. Being a hug fan of Bioware (love KOTOR 1 and 2), i am extremely pleased to be able to enjoy the game on my ps3.

The thing is...how can i get to play ME 1 and know the story in order to play the sequels? I heard they would release some sort of content to solve this issue (interactive movie? interactive comic?),is it true? Anyone?
PS3 players of ME2 have an interactive comic to determine what they 'did' in ME1 before they start ME2.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
CRAP! I don't want to buy the same game twice!! However, depending on how the PS3 port of Mass Effect 2 works (how do choices from Mass Effect carry over into Mass Effect 2 if there is no Mass Effect on the PS3), I will buy it, which means I'll have to buy Mass Effect 3 for my 360 AND PS3. Blast it.

On a side note: How come none of this stuff is coming out around Christmas? Why is everything coming out just after Christmas?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
CRAP! I don't want to buy the same game twice!! However, depending on how the PS3 port of Mass Effect 2 works (how do choices from Mass Effect carry over into Mass Effect 2 if there is no Mass Effect on the PS3)
There'll be some kind of 'motion comic' with a choice tree apparently, so you can pick the major plot points that ME2 will pick up on.

Almost worth it for me... I never finished ME1 on the PC and didn't pick up ME2 yet, partially because I've almost fully become a PS3 gamer over the past year. My Steam is being neglected...