Sony: Videogames Need More Than Just a Camera

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Sony learned some important lessons with the Eyetoy, says Sony's European boss.

Sony's Andrew House thinks that Microsoft will come to regret its choice of technology with Kinect, as it was very hard to design a wide variety of games that would work with just a camera as a controller.

House said that Sony's experience with the EyeToy had shown it just how limited camera-only gaming could be. It worked well for certain genres, he said, but that Microsoft would hit a wall when it came to others. He said that it was especially hard to adapt traditional gaming genres to use just a camera. He said that those limitations were why Sony had steered away from making another EyeToy and went with something with a few more buttons instead.

He thought that Kinect's limitations would hurt Microsoft in the future. Despite the very strong marketing campaign for the device, he said, advertising could only carry it so far. Ultimately, it would be strong content that was really important and that was where Move had the edge.

House does have a point: An out of the box Move setup does allow for a wider variety of games than an out of the box Kinect setup. But Kinect is designed to accommodate more than just what comes in the box. Last month, Microsoft's Alex Kipman talked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105005-Button-Using-Kinect-Hybrids-On-the-Way] about "hybrid games" that used both the motion control camera, and a standard controller. He also mentioned that Kinect could track things other than people, so some games might have specialized peripherals, rather than trying to do everything with the camera.

Of course, you have to remember that House is not only talking about a rival product, he's talking about a rival product that has seemingly outsold Move by a significant margin. He's right that content will be important in the future, but Kinect isn't quite as limited as he would have people believe.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42205/House-Camera-only-gaming-is-limited]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
How many times has Sony said that within the last year or so and how many times has MS said something equally redundant back a them? I lost count.

If Sony learned so much then why aren't there any better games in the line-up? It was hardly different from Kinect's, both of them were mediocre.

I agree with Sony on this one, MS will need some proper gameplay designers to make Kinect fun, especially in the kind of 5+ hour experience sense.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Sony saying something pompous about Video Games? Why, I never thought the day would come!

Really, though, as you said, the Kinect is outselling the Move right now. And as far as I can tell, the Kinect is to the Eye Toy as a cruise ship is to a sampan. I'm interested in seeing where Microsoft and game developers take the Kinect because it's actually uncharted territory. Sony Move? Wii with better graphics.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Videogame peripherals need to sell. Zing!

In seriousness though, videogames need more than waggle sticks. Both Kinect and Move can fuck off.

That said, Kinect has a bright future, even if it's not in videogames.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
How about two cameras, four microphones, and an active infrared scanner? (Not to mention the discussed possibility of hybrid interfaces, working with both Kinect's audio-visual system and a hand-held controller or other peripheral(s).) Sony keeps insisting this is another Eye-toy, but there's so much more to Kinect. As one would expect after, what is it, six or seven additional years of development and experiment?

They are right that Kinect won't work for a lot of game genres. I do think, however, that it'll work for a lot more genres than, for instance, a racing wheel peripheral will.

-- Steve

Critical_Sneeze

Oct 19, 2010
Sony's Andrew House thinks that Microsoft will come to regret its choice of technology with Kinect, as it was very hard to design a wide variety of games that would work with just a camera as a controller.
Yeah, but I doubt all designers are going to avoid having a controller + Kinect combo.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
One company saying that their main competitor's interpretation of a certain concept is inferior to theirs because of reasons that sound very contrived and stupid?

I shocked... really.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
*shrug* to be honest I'm not at all bothered by either.

Although I do want to play Super Mario on the Kinect, purely because it's fucking impossible. Heh.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Or, you know, MS could do the logical thing and not try to shoe horn full Kinect control into every title they put it out leave the tech for titles that do work well with it's flavour of motion control. Just sayin'

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sony, stop bashing about Kinect, Kinect and Move are able to do exactly the same so stfu.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Sony fanboy up the hizzay here:
Move = Terrible.
Kinect = Potentially good, most likely terrible.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Fronzel said:
Move does what Kinec(an)t!
LOL

I'm just waiting to see what games MS are going to release for Kinect. Sorcery and Killzone 3 made me pickup the Move and I'll try SOCOM 4 if I get the chance. The Kinect has yet to promise/advertise a story driven game.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
You have mentioned the fact that Move has buttons enough times already. We get it. It has buttons. Good for it.

Now could you please stop with little petty marketing fight with Microsoft and focus on actually competing in what really matters - the games?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I think Sony is right honestly, I just don't think consumers care, Kinect looks bigger and shinier I mean Microsofts whole thing is "A videogame you don't need a controller for!!!!!!!!" or "Your body is the controller!" Even though Sony did something similar years ago with the Eye-Toy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I pretty much disregarded everything that guy had to say. Of course he's saying that Kinect can't deliver long term... He works for Sony.

I wish both Sony employees and Microsoft employees would both have super size cups of shut the fuck up already.