Come and Behold The Escapist's Supremely Festive Holiday Tree

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Come and Behold The Escapist's Supremely Festive Holiday Tree

When we put up our holiday tree, we didn't have any ornaments. So we decided to make it as nerdy as possible.

We here at The Escapist's home base in Durham, NC, are all getting into the holiday spirit. We're even going to have a holiday bake-off this week full of delicious diabetes-inducing treats!

[gallery=69]

So naturally, we decided to put up a nice holiday tree in the middle of our office. Moments later, we discovered in horror that we had forgotten one of the most crucial parts of such a tree - we had no tree ornaments! Though we managed to scavenge some ornaments from our local cardboard cutout of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, it was a lonely and plain tree indeed.

But we didn't let that stop us. The entire office chipped in with its nerdy dolls and decorations to make this holiday tree the nerdiest holiday tree you'll see all year - until we do it next year, anyway.

Click through our gallery to see all the goodies!

And no, I didn't put any of my Gundam models on there. Sadly, they're much too heavy.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Where's the small Mario ornament?! How can you call yourselves nerds without one?!

Btw, I'd like to see a full pic of The Rock. ;)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Needs more cowbell!

...I'm sorry, I always wanted to say that.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Well that's awesome. And a delicious treats contest? Here's my submission, it's so simple even Russ could make it.

Ingredients: One potato, one metric fuck ton on powdered sugar, a jar of peanut butter.

Boil the potato.
Mash it in a bowl.
Mix in the powdered sugar until it takes a consistency similar to cookie dough.
Get a rolling pin and roll it out I highly suggest you to coat whatever counter or table your using in powdered sugar cause this stuff is sticky (clingy?).
Spread it with peanut butter and roll it.

Enjoy your solid diabetes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Doctor What said:
More festive than mine, I haven't even got it up yet.

btw What's the giant angry face?
That is a mask that my friend Iain sent me, of one of the automatons from The Beast Below (an episode of Dr. Who.) Goes nicely with the lights, don't you think? :)

What's really particularly heartwarming about this tree is that everyone just spontaneously decided to start adding stuff to it. People raided their desks, improvising hooks and hangers to get their ornaments on the tree. It was completely unplanned and wonderfully in the spirit of Christmas.

Yes, I am very sappy. Deal with it.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
-snippysnip-

You have got to be kidding me. I should turn in my U.N.I.T. badge if I can't even recognize that.

That's something my family would never do. Just goes to show how strong the bonds you make really are! This is why I come to this website. Just like a big ol family you never see. With that logic, it is a family!

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
People raided their desks, improvising hooks and hangers to get their ornaments on the tree. It was completely unplanned and wonderfully in the spirit of Christmas.
Wow, with that notion, I wonder what these desks looked like before they were raided.

So, what's on top of the Christmas Tree? The biggest baddest imp, I'd imagine. Seems like they are trying to climb to the top.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Imp Poster said:
Susan Arendt said:
People raided their desks, improvising hooks and hangers to get their ornaments on the tree. It was completely unplanned and wonderfully in the spirit of Christmas.
Wow, with that notion, I wonder what these desks looked like before they were raided.

So, what's on top of the Christmas Tree? The biggest baddest imp, I'd imagine. Seems like they are trying to climb to the top.
Taken from my desk, the closest thing we have to the classic tree topper angel / star:
http://tinyurl.com/26yocqk

If you don't know who it is, find someone with Venture Brothers DVD sets - they are your new best friend.

And the answer to your first question:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/1853-Tour-the-Fortress

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Dont bring children near that tree the mask in the second picture would give them nightmares o.o

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KiKiweaky said:
Dont bring children near that tree the mask in the second picture would give them nightmares o.o
I was going to place it at the front of the tree but the person it was facing (get it?) wasn't very happy about it, so I pointed it toward my desk. :)

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
CaptainCrunch said:
Imp Poster said:
Susan Arendt said:

Taken from my desk, the closest thing we have to the classic tree topper angel / star:

If you don't know who it is, find someone with Venture Brothers DVD sets - they are your new best friend.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/1853-Tour-the-Fortress
First off, after watching that video, that christmas tree is not covered enough. Need more hooks perhaps. Man, you guys have so much stuff. Yes, J. Funk needs some shelves. That video was the coolest, watching all of you guys behind the site. Archon has the official ban hammer, but what's up with the one shoe in the middle of the shelf? Where is the other one and who did he throw it to?

Second, I will have to check Venture Brothers out. That looks funny good.

Thanks for all the info. I really enjoyed it. :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Imp Poster said:
CaptainCrunch said:
Imp Poster said:
Susan Arendt said:

First off, after watching that video, that christmas tree is not covered enough. Need more hooks perhaps. Man, you guys have so much stuff. Yes, J. Funk needs some shelves. That video was the coolest, watching all of you guys behind the site. Archon has the official ban hammer, but what's up with the one shoe in the middle of the shelf? Where is the other one and who did he throw it to?

Second, I will have to check Venture Brothers out. That looks funny good.

Thanks for all the info. I really enjoyed it. :p
I have shelves now.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
John Funk said:
And no, I didn't put any of my Gundam models on there. Sadly, they're much too heavy.
You're telling me that you don't have a single High-Grade at work? Fair enough, I suppose.