Google Sends Phone into Upper Atmosphere.

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Google Sends Phone into Upper Atmosphere.

Under the guise of supposed performance tests, Google engineers took a day to play with space balloons.

Several days ago, several Google engineers and students from the nearby University of California, Santa Cruz got together in an empty field to see how Google's new phone, the Nexus S, would perform nearly 20 miles above the earth's surface.

Greg Klein, ballooning fan, Santa Cruz undergrad, and leader of the ragtag space-phone testing team, released seven large weather balloons tied to Styrofoam coolers containing the astronautical cellphones, along with various other equipment to monitor the phones' activities.

Hours after floating out of sight, the coolers fell to earth, slowed ever so slightly by the small parachutes attached. A night of tiresome searching in tall grass later, the coolers and payloads were recovered, and the data collected, the results of which show that the phones continued functioning, even in the dark, lonely void of an uncaring universe.

Even the apps continued working as hoped, including SkyMaps, an Augmented Reality star-tracking application. Further data is still being analyzed, and the engineers say that further days off filled with science fair fun-- sorry, "comprehensive tests", are already being planned. Which leads me to the phrase I have been dying to say this entire article: Not only do we have to worry about Google stealing our WiFi, now we have to worry about...

GOOOOGLE IN SPAAAAAAAACE!!!

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19871-google-goes-to-space-by-balloon.html]

Oct 14, 2010
Oh, good. I feel a lot better knowing that if I ever get jettisoned out of an airlock, I can just phone my friends to come pick me up.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Can you hear me now? Good."

Tim Latshaw said:
Oh, good. I feel a lot better knowing that if I ever get jettisoned out of an airlock, I can just phone my friends to come pick me up.
"Dude, can you come pick me up?"
" Sure, where are you?"
"Just fell out the hatch of the ISS. I was REALLY wasted."
"How are you talking to me?"
"Google Phone."
"But you're in space."
"I know. Google works up here."
"But...."

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Google shall conquer all...it's only a matter of time...

Google Skynet anyone? It's gonna happen...

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Some dude and his kid did this with an iphone a while back. Google was probably trying to compare....

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Google shall conquer all...it's only a matter of time...

Google Skynet anyone? It's gonna happen...
Where's John Conner? I need to pledge my allegiance to him.

OT: Any excuse to have fun in space I guess. I do predict that Google brand missile platforms will be deployed in orbit in a few years.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Google: The official search engine of Star Trek. Good to know when we're on the Enterprise going to the farthest stars that google will not fail us.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
"captain! There's an unknown vessel approaching head on at warp 5!"
"fast! activate the deuterium processor and google it!"
"sir! they are cracking our DRM shield!"
"damn space pirates!!! Call Ubisoft, we need a stronger DRM!!! GO!!!"

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
A night of tiresome searching in tall grass later, the coolers and payloads were recovered
But there's wild Pokemon in the tall grass..

OT: Yup definitely in response to that iPhone being sent into space. Still awesome. Can't wait for more crazy "comprehensive tests".