2,400 Year Old Soup Discovered in China

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
2,400 Year Old Soup Discovered in China

Archaeologists have found the first historical evidence for Chinese takeout: a pot filled with 2,400 year old soup.

Despite the fact that the ketchup in my fridge seems to last forever, most foods deteriorate long before anyone comes along to dig them up. That was not the case in the Chinese city of Xi'an because a sealed bronze pot was recently unearthed near where the famous terracotta warriors [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army] were discovered in 1974. Inside the pot was a green mess, but the archaeologists quickly realized that the bits of bone and liquid were most likely a soup and that the oxidation of the copper metal in the pot was what had turned it all green. The pot was found in a tomb that was found while making way for a local airport and, judging by the age surrounding sites, Chinese archaeologists believe that the pot dates back to almost 400 B.C. That is some seriously old soup. I wonder if it's still hot and sour?

The tomb, while not as lavish as the necropolis built for the emperor nearby, may have been for a minor noble or military commander. Tests are currently underway to determine what materials are in the soup and this will provide the kind of information on eating habits and cooking practices of ancient Chinese that is rare for archaeologists to learn.

"It's the first discovery of bone soup in Chinese archaeological history," said Liu Daiyun of the Shaanxi Provincial Institute of Archaeology. "The discovery will play an important role in studying the eating habits and culture of the Warring States Period."

This period in Chinese history, generally 475 B.C. to 221, was marked by warlords conquering smaller states until the nation was unified under the Qin Dynasty. The First Emperor of the Qin ordered many monuments constructed, including the Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Army.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11981666]

laryri

May 19, 2008
They're going to study it now and then 30 minutes later they'll already want to study again.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
See, here I was thnking it was so old that it had turned to moss, then I realized how stupid that sounded and told myself to GTFO

megaraccoon

Dec 7, 2010
sounds akin to the pots of preserved honey in eygpt except that you could still eat the honey

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I don't like mushrooms period. This sounds kind of interesting, it must've smelled pretty bad when they opened it, lol.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Wonder what it tastes like...

Seriously I'd be up for trying some of that. Either way that is cool...2400 years. Damn.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Intresting, if they able to analyse the content of the soup then they would had made a new updated soup for sale "Try out the soup that was invented 2,400 years ago!!!"

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
That reminds me of the clay pots they found in Greece that still contained oil. I bet the soup didn't at least reek as much.

I wonder if the archeologists will manage to discover the recipe used to make the soup? While I wouldn't want to taste this specific soup, I wouldn't mind trying a modern replica.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Isn't that funny that finding a 2400 year-old soup will allow archaeologists to learn things about eating habits?

A single bowl of soup, found inside a tomb (which is maybe not the most realistic place)?

If anything, it should give insight on burial habits!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
That's not soup, it's a health potion.

I'd have been even more impressed if they'd found a med-pack and a box of bullets.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Vohn_exel said:
I don't like mushrooms period. This sounds kind of interesting, it must've smelled pretty bad when they opened it, lol.
Why don't you like mushr... wait, huh?
Dublin Solo said:
Isn't that funny that finding a 2400 year-old soup will allow archaeologists to learn things about eating habits?

A single bowl of soup, found inside a tomb (which is maybe not the most realistic place)?

If anything, it should give insight on burial habits!
This was exactly what I was thinking. This is what I hate about archeology. Assumptions will be told as fact based on some edible product found in a tomb. I'm afraid that they'll "discover" the eating habits by examining some sort of incense, medicine, or offering. My soap is edible and is in shower gel form. Who knows, in 2500 years, people might assume it's soup.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
See, here I was thnking it was so old that it had turned to moss, then I realized how stupid that sounded and told myself to GTFO
You seriously thought when things get old it turns to moss?