Aussie Minister Proposes Ditching MA15+ Game Ratings

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Aussie Minister Proposes Ditching MA15+ Game Ratings

South Australian Attorney-General John Rau has proposed dropping the MA15+ game rating entirely if an R18+ rating is adopted, saying he wants to "force game manufacturers to make a decision about who they are marketing to."

When John Rau replaced Michael Atkinson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99385-Michael-Atkinsons-Successor-is-an-R18-Supporter] as Attorney-General of South Australia, gamers heaved a sigh of relief. With the chief opponent of an R18+ rating out of the way, the common belief seemed to be that Australians would soon be playing the same grown-up videogames as everyone else. If was a bit of a nasty shock for some, then, when that didn't happen, but at least Rau is taking part in discussions on the matter rather than dismissing the idea outright. He also put forth one of the more interesting ideas to come out of those discussions: dropping Australia's current MA15+ game rating in order to more clearly define the line between games meant for kids and those aimed at adults.

"My reason for wanting to get rid of MA15+ if an R18+ is passed is that it will provide a crisper delineation between adults-only games and games that are for children," Rau told GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285360.html]. "I want to force game manufactures to make a decision about who they are marketing to: if it is adults, their games will be rated R18+; if it is children, then they will have to ensure that their games are sufficiently pruned back to make it into the M category. The whole point of this is to force manufacturers to make a choice in their own heads: are they marketing to kids or to adults?"

The T rating [http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/classification.nsf/Page/ClassificationMarkings_ClassificationMarkingsonFilmandComputerGames_ClassificationMarkingsonFilmandComputerGames] in North America, which means that a game may contain some intense bits but is still okay for the youngsters. MA15+, on the other hand, is a "bridging category" which Rau said could be exploited and ultimately confuse the question of what's appropriate for kids and what isn't.

"Look, I know we're not creating a watertight situation here; we never will," he admitted. "But I think it is our job to influence what is going on at the retail level and support responsible parents in their decision-making. [Federal Minister for Home Affairs] Brendan O'Connor wants to reclassify MA15+ games for exactly the same reason that I want to abolish the MA15+ category altogether: namely that MA15+ is a dangerous classification. I'm willing to consider what is being put on the table of course, but my bottom line is that I don't want there to be a seamless continuum from G to R18+. I'd like to see a big gap between the M classification and the R18+ classification should it be introduced."

It's an unusual idea but I think it's a good one, because it puts the onus on parents by simplifying the question of what is and isn't suitable for their kids. It also makes life easier for game makers by removing the gray area they often shoot for in order to maximize their audiences or, in the case of Australia, to get their games on the shelf in the first place. The fact that Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292431213&sr=8-1] is rated MA15+ is not only evidence of the overall dysfunction of the Australian rating system but also of the "danger" Rau spoke of. Any rating that can make a game that's obviously not for kids look like it is, is not a system that's of any value to anyone.

The next meeting of Australia's Standing Committee of Attorneys-General is scheduled for March 2011.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Really good choice for a picture of Niko, Andy. Fits rather well.

I can't see a major issue in getting rid of it, as I can't see many titles that would qualify as MA15+ instead of R18+ if the R18+ classification is introduced.

And they'd still have the basic Mature classification for "T" titles.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
The problem I have with this idea is it will have the same effect as the NC17(?) rating in the US, where developers will self-censor in order to get a better rating in order to gain more sales, and unlike movies we're unlucky to get uncut versions.

Oh well, bring on more digital distribution I say, screw this local content BS.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Wow, Australia really needs to get this sorted out, I mean its' one thing to say that GTA or God of War need to be rated 18+ but oblivion, just cause 2, vanquish? these games definitely don't need to be 18's.

On the other hand though if it allows them to finally get to play l4d properly then maybe you just have to take the good with the bad...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Really good choice for a picture of Niko, Andy. Fits rather well.

I can't see a major issue in getting rid of it, as I can't see many titles that would qualify as MA15+ instead of R18+.

Dang it, I got ninja'd.

What Onyx said. I can't really see the bad thing of changeing some games to 18+ from 15+.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Removing a rating that basically fills in for Mature makes sense, as if the R18 rating does go into effect keeping the MA15+ rating in would only serve to confuse the masses.
It is the same as the ineffective PG13 rating for movies. I never really understood the point except to create a gray area for movies to add a bit more. Better to have just allowed a bit more for the PG rating.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
When I first saw this, I thought it meant they wanted to ditch the MA15 in addition to the 18 rating. Obviously I am relieved.

This seems like a preferable alternative to the no 18 rating. Not perfect (dear god not perfect) but at least they can play all the games...

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
So essentially teenagers (15-17 year old ones, at any rate) would be stuck playing relatively kiddie games until they turn 18? Yeah, brilliant idea.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
This implies that emotional maturity is measured by physical age. So anyone under 18 has to be protected from video games in case of what? They suddenly mutate into rabid killing machines?

Games aren't just for those over 18 and children.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
THIS... makes sense, actually. And it would shut up parents, as how can they complain a game is too violent for their children, when they baught a R18+ game. Clears things up...

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Why is it always the South Australian ministers that propose these things. Seriously if they've got a different blade of grass to smoke down there, we in Queensland want some!

That being said. I understand where he's coming from. Define adult games, define kids games. Seems simple enough and it means we don't have to download a mod to make sure the drugs our characters take are the right names. But isn't this just the extreme left end of what the other bud smoking SA minister was doing?

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
The subject matter isn't quite so black and white. Get that through your heads, please. There are shades of gray in all content. Why else would we have so many ratings for movies or for games in North America?

Seriously, get with the program. Why can't we have somebody in a position of power that actually has a clue about this industry's materials?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
MirrorSweep said:
Videogames don't make me violent, retarded shit like this does.
Quoted for truth. Why we even put up with this kind of crap is beyond me.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
If they already have a M rating that is, basically, the same as the T rating in NA, then I think this is a great idea.
Otherwise you'd have M, MA15+, and R18+? Parents who aren't tech savvy get confused by the VCR clocks (Who else remembers those, eh?), so a more simple, streamlines rating system seems to make a butt-load of sense.

I'm doubly for it if it means the R18+ rating is instituted.
Our gamer comrades down under have suffered for far too long without it.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Seems a bit iffy to me but it's not bad, at least these people are thinking, and I support whatever it takes (within reason) to get progress for our Australian brethren.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
It's actually a really good idea and with it, if proposed, then we might get away with the fucking "think-of-the-children" tagline.

Either the game is made for adults or it's made solely kids. A choice coulored in black and white is in this case better than anything at all.