deviantART Gets Hacked, User Info Compromised

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
deviantART Gets Hacked, User Info Compromised

What do Gawker, McDonalds, and deviantART all have in common? They've all been hacked in the past week.

Depending on how you look at things, the past week has been a major series of victories for hackers or a truly stunning series of defeats for digital security. Aside from the <a href=http://lifehacker.com/5712785/faq-compromised-commenting-accounts-on-gawker-media>very public security breach with Gawker Media, McDonalds and Walgreens <a href=http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Latest-News-Wires/2010/1214/McDonald-s-and-Walgreens-email-addresses-birth-dates-stolen-by-hackers>have both admitted that their databases were hacked and heavy amounts of user information was stolen. Now, it turns out that that deviantART has also been dealt a blow, having been hacked and user info compromised.

The largest online art community announced today that its database security was breached, which means that the e-mail addresses, usernames, and birthday information for up to 13 million users has been stolen. Thankfully, passwords weren't taken as a part of this, but it's being theorized that this other information will be used by spammers.

It turns out the breach wasn't actually due to negligence on deviantART's end. Instead, it came through Silverpop System Inc., a marketing company the site uses to communicate with its various users via its mailing list. Still, members of the community (including me) rely on deviantART to keep our personal information private and safe, and the site definitely failed on that end.

Source: Geek

Devi Darkside

Sep 3, 2009
Well, great to know that my info was possibly jacked...Though I'm basically inactive on that site. Still it annoys me to see that sort of thing happening.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shit. Good thing I just lurk and never actually made an account.

No, I will NOT tell you what I was looking at!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i really hope we catch and make good examples of hackers...

i want them to suffer for making viruses and bringing internet security down.

my idea? when we catch them, publicly cut off their hands and hang them by their ankles until they bleed to death as we scrawl the words "HACKED" on his/her forehead with a rusty nail

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Shit. Good thing I just lurk and never actually made an account.

No, I will NOT tell you what I was looking at!
It's okay man, I think you need an account to look at all the "mature" stuff.

Uh, not that I would know or anything.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
My Girlfriend revieved an email about this a few days ago, basically explaining what had happened.

They're not going to use Silverpop anymore and as the article says, they're sure the information will only be used in a spamming copacity.

I however, did not recieve an email detailing any of this...

I've been on DA for 6 years...
I guess they only wanted the email accounts of recent members... Or something?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn, that just sucks.

I don't have an account there, but I have experienced info being stolen and its a pain in the ass.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, I've only just started reusing my Devart.
Nice to know they're on top of things [/sarcasm]

Direbetus

Nov 30, 2010
Meh, all my accounts get banned right away anyways, and I use fake emails when I register. So I'd say I'm pretty much in the clear here.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I'll make sure to change the password alittle bit, and hopefully next time this won't happen. Like i dont have enough spam.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Begs a serious question, if you're not on any of Devart's mailing lists are you at any risk?

Have to admit I drifted right off Deviantart after a few matters of unpleasantness regarding their increasingly loose copyright policy more than three years ago.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
That explains all the drug spam I've been getting lately. I've had to add filters to my email filtering program specifically tuned to the name of a couple dozen drugs showing up in the subject. I've been getting about 30 of those a day, rather suddenly, timed with the approximate date of this leak.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Just when I thought DA couldn't come up with a more compelling reason to end my membership, they out-do themselves again. Just an FYI for those that don't know, birthday information is something that can be used to "recover" accounts that have been "hacked." That includes banks and many things online you spend money on. With your name and your birthday, people can get passwords changed on anything they can link to your email with little trouble. So THAT'S awesome.