Games and Bugs Come Together as... Art?

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Games and Bugs Come Together as... Art?

Some people devote hours to finding, reporting, and fixing glitches and bugs. One man photographs them and calls it art.

The debate over whether or not videogames are art rages on, but Robert Overweg takes seeing art in games further than almost anyone else. He documents glitches and bugs in the virtual world, which he sees as "the new public space of contemporary society," and considers the snapshots beautiful.

His series Glitches documents his travels through games such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Left 4 Dead 2, and Half-Life 2 where instead of playing the game in the normal manner, he takes the road less traveled. Eschewing missions, parameters, and goals, he goes to the rarely seen, almost never explored places in games, hoping to catch a glimpse of the world behind the curtain. "I normally don't go out with a predefined plan," he says. "If you do that you will just go home with what you already thought up."

Some don't see the artistic merit of the unaltered screen captures, yet others believe that the seeking out of these flaws and the treatment of them as art are what make them art. Overweg doesn't seem to care if people think his work isn't art, he believes that the debate is validation enough. "That to me is a large part of art," he said, "asking questions, making room for discussion, making people think and look at something in a new way."

Overweg's work has been shown in galleries In Amsterdam, Cologne, and L.A., and can be seen at his website Shot by Robert [http://shotbyrobert.com/wordpress/?page_id=191]

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2010/12/virtual-photography-exposing-raw-seams-of-reality.html]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I hate to go all foppy, poncy, coffee shop artsy student guy, but that picture there speaks plenty about the human condition.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I actually really enjoy the aesthetic of that picture.

I can see it being hung in a modern section of an art museum.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I remember seeking out the areas you weren't supposed to get to in vanilla WoW. The wonderfully wierd-ass shapes you saw there and the cliffs just descending into sharp nothingness...it was art!!!

But I wouldn't try and fool anyone that it was worth putting into an exhibition. :p

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Gxas said:
That's what I was about to say. I don't know exactly why, but I really like the vibe that picture is sending. It's nice and calm.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
You know, that picture in particular is actually quite nice. I wouldn't have given it a second thought if he hadn't named it "The facade" though.

There might be something to this.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
yeah....art....
*hollow, marches on, does what sheep should do*
*gave up on sanity and resistance long ago*

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
_Janny_ said:
Gxas said:
That's what I was about to say. I don't know exactly why, but I really like the vibe that picture is sending. It's nice and calm.
Almost like showing the inner freedom you can find from our mundane lives....

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Silliness 3:< They're not even cool looking glitches, just getting stuck in scenery.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
To be honest, as an art student, I am usualy against the kind of pepole who call an egg in a box a piece of art, but that snapshot acutally looks quite good.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Glitches are cool, and his shots are good but - I could do this. Anyone could do this, and probably do it better than this guy. I'm not saying what he does isn't good as a hobby, but by no means does it deserve an exhibition. This is astoundingly stupid.

Then again, it's probably better than anything at Modern Art museums.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Really, ANYTHING is art these days.

This post is art!
That is because Art can come from anything. It is objective.
You mean subjective, right? It depends on the opinion of the viewer as to whether a particular piece is art. Otherwise, there is some universal definition for art. Which there isn't.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Palademon said:
I'm Commander Shepphard and this art is my favourite art in the citadel!
I lol'd. :D

To someone who doesnt know what they are looking at in these screenshots (ie, someone who doesnt really play games and isn't aware of glitches like these) I can see how it could become art. The example screenshot could become the centre of a debate about how the unfinished view represents society's lack of attention to matters beyond its immediate grasp. Or something similar.

However, because its just a screenshot of a glitch it doesnt have the same effect. Its no different in my eyes from those art installations where people put a crumpled shirt on the floor and call it art. To be short, "Without artistic merit".

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Redingold said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Really, ANYTHING is art these days.

This post is art!
That is because Art can come from anything. It is objective.
You mean subjective, right? It depends on the opinion of the viewer as to whether a particular piece is art. Otherwise, there is some universal definition for art. Which there isn't.
Whoops, you're right. I always get the two mixed up.