Kid Wins Jeopardy, Stars In Movie, Has Generally Unreal Life

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Kid Wins Jeopardy, Stars In Movie, Has Generally Unreal Life

Thomas Horn, age 12, won a lot of money on Jeopardy and has now set his sights on Hollywood.

12-year old Thomas Horn won this year's Kids Week on Jeopardy, taking home a grand total of $31,800 in prize money. Not content with being a Jeopardy winner, Horn is looking to add "movie star" to his little kid resume. Director Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Reader) just cast Horn as the lead role in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, a film adaptation of Jonathan Safran Foer's novel of the same name.

Horn will be playing Oskar Schell, a kid who loses his father in the terror attacks on the World Trade Center. Deadline describes the character as, "bright and precocious," so on the surface, at least, Horn seems to fit the bill. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close follows Schell as he finds a key amongst his dead father's stuff, and sets out to see what it unlocks. Also starring in the film are Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. Way to rank among the Oscar winners on your first go, kid.

Deadline also notes that Horn is signed to the same agency that represents other child actors such as Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine, Zombieland), Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit), and Kodi Smit-McPhee (Let Me In).

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/jeopardy-wiz-kid-lands-lead-in-extremely-loud-and-incredibly-close/]

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
Well done on the part of the boy, but I must say: when ever someone is able to achieve more inlife than I have done up till now and is alot younger than me, I always feel horribly inadequate...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
Well done on the part of the boy, but I must say: when ever someone is able to achieve more inlife than I have done up till now and is alot younger than me, I always feel horribly inadequate...
I agree! We're total losers!

Congratulations to the kid on doing more with his life than I have with mine. Lucky bugger.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
for some reason i really hate this kid, can anyone explain why?

[small]it might be because he won jeopardy and HE IS STARRING IN A MOVIE WITH TOM HANKS!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaa![/small]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
He won on jeopardy ergo he is a good actor? Is this a slip up revealing that Jeopardy is rigged?

Aug 25, 2009
It's nice when every so often someone comes along who you can genuinely hate. I've had to make do with open mic musicians being better than me for the last year or so, so it's good to get someone who apparently lives in a Disney movie while the rest of us toil down in the real world.

Oh alright, I'm happy for him, this was pretty much my dream (minus the winning money on Jeopardy thing) when I was his age, and it is nice (if a little bitter) to see it happen for someone else.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Anyone else's mind immediately go to Magnolia? "My name is Donnie Smith, and I have lots of love to give."

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Kind of confused on why he got an acting role. So he won in Jeopardy, so he automatically qualifies to be an actor? I mean I'm glad for the kid's success but something about this dosen't make sense to me.

Still, congrats to the kid.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Anyone else notice that the little guy looks like a smug prick in the picture?

Well done for it, but still.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
1. I agree, I hate reading about inhuman child talent.
2. I effing love your avatar.

Counter_Southpaw

Apr 20, 2010
I hope it's drugs in the end.^

Kidding.

No idea how winning jeopardy gets one the role of a child actor.. Guess anyone can get into Hollywood these days??

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Since when academic smarts has equaled acting skills? I can tell you the actors I know, are exremely good, but they general knowledge is really limited, and the extremely smart people got issues expressing them selfs.

I DEARLY HOPE! That this child wont take the short fame rocket and give up the wonders of academic world... I hope he studies instead of playing Diva in medicore Hollywood summer movies...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Disaster Button said:
Nocta-Aeterna said:
I agree! We're total losers!

Congratulations to the kid on doing more with his life than I have with mine. Lucky bugger.
My life has been a waste and it took a 12 year old to make me realize it. Well, not a waste, it's building to something...probably...dammit, I need some comfort food...

Congrats to the kid though. Let's see if he can make it out of child-stardom in one piece though.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
His life must be rendered in the Unreal engine, must not be very colourful...
I guess the lack of colour is made up for with being friggin awesome. Obligatory geek pun on the thread's title out of the way, lets move on.

If he can act then I have no problem with him becoming an actor, if not I will be disappoint.

I too find that picture extremely irritating.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Not sure why anyone wants their kid to be a child star, it always seems to end up with them abusing drugs later in life and things going down hill very quickly.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
You know, normally I hate child stars, because they get the part because they are cute, or witty, or that they may one day make tons of money. This kid got the part, because he's freakin smart as heck about trivial matters. I just can not be mad at that, good luck kid. Also, little advice from E True Hollywood Stories, don't do drugs, it will either kill you, or leave you as a plumber to the stars. Invest you smart little freak you.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I really dont know why, but that kid looks all snooty and stuck up and i want to punch him in the face REALLY hard....

[small]it has nothing to do with the money and movie role.....really, i just dont like the look of him[/small]