Thought-Controlled Exoskeletons Aren't Science Fiction Anymore

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Thought-Controlled Exoskeletons Aren't Science Fiction Anymore

Today, we have monkeys with brain interface control systems. Tomorrow? Maybe mind-controlled exoskeletons.

For the past couple of decades, practical exoskeletons have been the stuff of sci-fi movies and novels. However, a new study by neuroscientists shows some surprisingly cool possibility for mind-control interfaces, and the folks involved have actually gone and mentioned the possibility of using this technology with exoskeletons.

Scientists at the University of Chicago have revealed that a series of experiments with monkeys proved that brain control interfaces were effective at controlling computer cursors. However, the monkeys learned how to use this system much faster when they were moving their arms in the movements one would normally associate with such actions. This, in turn lead to the exciting prospect of mind-controlled exoskeletons in humanity's future.

From a release about the study:

[Lead researcher Nicholas] Hatsopoulos said his group's findings may pave the way for enhanced brain-controlled devices that include multiple forms of natural or even artificially produced sensory feedback. "Wearable exoskeletal robots could provide sensory information to patients with full or partial feeling," he said. "Alternatively, direct stimulation of the relevant area of the cortex could be used to replicate sensory feedback in patients who have lost both motor and sensory function."

What this means is that basically we've already got the technology to create mind-controlled exoskeletons - we just need to develop and refine it. I was particularly intrigued by the idea that we don't need to move a person's limbs to give them motor feedback - just stimulate their motor cortex. Once we've mastered that, how far are we really from Robocop, whose brain has been hooked up to an almost entirely artificial body?

Exoskeletal robots to help patients in need is certainly a noble idea, but I can't be the only one who's thinking about the potential superhero applications for such a device, right? Well, that and the ability to take on giant Xenomorphs while shouting memorable catchphrases.

Source: <a href=http://www.sfn.org/index.aspx?pagename=news_121410>Society for Neuroscience via <a href=http://io9.com/5713561/neuroscientists-create-the-first-brain+controlled-exoskeleton>io9

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Think of the possibilities for things like artificial limbs. FINALLY, I can get that arm-canon upgrade I've always wanted.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
When they make suits that act like 'clothes' call me. Pretty cool to hear this though!

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
dathwampeer said:
I already have a mind powered mech.

It's just invisible and lives in the Arctic.

I call it I.T.T.B.S

Free sex for anyone who guesses the acronym.
Something along the lines of..

It's true total bull shit?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WolfEdge said:
Think of the possibilities for things like artificial limbs. FINALLY, I can get that arm-canon upgrade I've always wanted.
and I can finally get doctor Octopus arms. FINALLY, I can play guitar, Xbox, and get myself a drink from the fridge at once.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
I'm curious what we will get first, thought controlled artificial limbs (with full feedback) or natural limbs using cloning?

Also, how is this news? BCI isn't all that recent.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Wieke said:
I'm curious what we will get first, thought controlled artificial limbs (with full feedback) or natural limbs using cloning?

Also, how is this news? BCI isn't all that recent.
It's news because the scientists are talking about how this stuff can be used for exoskeletons :p

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Awesome, one more step closer to GITS type cyberization. I'm actually somewhat hopeful I may see it in my lifetime.

If anyone hears about volunteers needed for cyberization let me know. I want to be FIRST in line.

swolf

May 3, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
Exoskeletons. What could possibly go wrong?
I believe the ukranian goverment recently said something along those lines about opening Chernobyl to tourists to which I reply zombies.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
This is exciting news! It´s good to know that not all technology is being used for idiotic purposes. Yes, Kinect "Sex-game", i´m looking at you...