Hellboy Director's Game Trilogy Could Span a Decade

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hellboy Director's Game Trilogy Could Span a Decade

Guillermo del Toro admits he has a lot to learn about making videogames, but apparently, time is on his side.

Not only will it be some time before we see the first fruits of moviemaker del Toro's foray into videogames, it could be quite some before we see the last as well. Speaking at the Spike Videogame Awards, THQ VP of core games, Danny Bilson, said that it would take between eight to ten years to make all three chapters of the Insane trilogy.

According to del Toro, who was also in attendance, Volition - the studio tasked with actually making the games - has spent the last six months working on the first chapter, and expects to spend the next two and a half years completing it. Del Toro said that he would have to learn a new way to tell stories, as videogames were a very different medium to movies, so his experience as a director wouldn't help him very much. "You don't come into this world and try to apply the same rules," he said. "I'm here to learn and try some crazy [stuff]."

Given that most triple A games seem to take between two and three years to make, taking ten years to make three is a little on the long side, but not too much, especially not if a new generation of consoles comes out in that time. The first chapter of Insane, which Bilson describes as a "horrific adventure," is scheduled for release on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 sometime in 2013.

Source: Stuff We Like [http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/2010/12/15/insane-trilogy-will-take-8-10-years-to-complete/] via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-14-thq-has-8-10-year-plan-for-insane]

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Well, that's at the very least a far more sane approach than most movie directors trying making videogames.

Jun 7, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
He realizes games are more than interactive movies. maybe this game might not be as bad as i thought it would be.
well to be honest i don't know why you were expecting bad. He's brilliant at creating creepy atmosphere in his films transferring that knowledge into a horror game shouldn't be too hard. Add to that he is a legend i was never really doubting it tbh.
The only film of his i've seen is hellboy and that was years ago. I'm sure he makes good films but i'm still slightly worried i'll be tripping over cutscenes and filmic amounts of dialouge if i get this game.(if he goes down the red dead route then it could work out ok.)

crobulator

Dec 27, 2009
bahumat42 said:
He realizes games are more than interactive movies. maybe this game might not be as bad as i thought it would be.
well to be honest i don't know why you were expecting bad. He's brilliant at creating creepy atmosphere in his films transferring that knowledge into a horror game shouldn't be too hard. Add to that he is a legend i was never really doubting it tbh.
The only film of his i've seen is hellboy and that was years ago. I'm sure he makes good films but i'm still slightly worried i'll be tripping over cutscenes and filmic amounts of dialouge if i get this game.(if he goes down the red dead route then it could work out ok.)
watch Pans labyrinth if it turns out with the same level of quality as that it will be brilliant.